The online racing simulator
Problems with FRAPS
(13 posts, started )
Problems with FRAPS
I've searched but can't find anything similar to this.

In short, when pressing the record key on FRAPS whilst full screen with a SPR/MPR, or even in a single / online race, the FPS always drops to 8. Even if the FPS is around 70/80 before I record, it always always always drops to 8 when I hit record, whatever settings I've got FRAPS on.

I've tried it with other games and it's fine.

I can't record at 8FPS because, well, it's obvious.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Quote from Minimaxman :I've searched but can't find anything similar to this.

In short, when pressing the record key on FRAPS whilst full screen with a SPR/MPR, or even in a single / online race, the FPS always drops to 8. Even if the FPS is around 70/80 before I record, it always always always drops to 8 when I hit record, whatever settings I've got FRAPS on.

I've tried it with other games and it's fine.

I can't record at 8FPS because, well, it's obvious.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Yes, FRAPS will kill your FPS

Look here for tips on recording videos:

http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=219
Quote from JO53PHS :Yes, FRAPS will kill your FPS

Look here for tips on recording videos:

http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=219

It wont always kill your FPS. It all depends on what processor you have. I can record with hardly any loss of FPS at all, but its all down to my processor. Because its a quad core, i can just assign fraps to another core so it can have it all to itself (basically).

@ Minimaxman, what are the specs of your PC?

Im mainly interested in graphics card, Ram and Processor please.
Quote from Nathan_French_14 :It wont always kill your FPS. It all depends on what processor you have. I can record with hardly any loss of FPS at all, but its all down to my processor. Because its a quad core, i can just assign fraps to another core so it can have it all to itself (basically).

@ Minimaxman, what are the specs of your PC?

Im mainly interested in graphics card, Ram and Processor please.

Well of course It won't kill your FPS if you are lucky enough to own a supercomputer
Best thing to do is to record from a replay, slowing it right down, then speeding the video up post-recording I guess.
Quote from NotAnIllusion :Best thing to do is to record from a replay, slowing it right down, then speeding the video up post-recording I guess.

But how do you get the sound back... because If you record it in slow motion, the sound is mushed up anyway, and then speeding it up again makes it even more mushed up.

Or do people record the video and sound separately?
Quote from JO53PHS :But how do you get the sound back... because If you record it in slow motion, the sound is mushed up anyway, and then speeding it up again makes it even more mushed up.

Or do people record the video and sound separately?

I've never bothered to record the sounds so I'm not sure, but recording them separately should work fine.
Well, recording it without sound makes no difference, still runs at 8fps. And this is from a replay. Slowing the replay down by half also makes no change.

My PC Specs are:

nVidia GeForce 6600 GT
1 GB Ram
AMD Athlon 64 3000+
#9 - Jakg
The sound speed is halfed along with the pitch, so just double the pitch of the audio and it'll sound fine.
#10 - JJ72
actually I have the same problem.

before I have a single core laptop which records fine at 25fps. now I have a faster duo core machine but it hardly gets up to 13. in all other games the performance is better but somehow in LFS something doesn't work as efficiently.

and before I was running XP, now I am running vista.
#11 - w126
Quote from Minimaxman :Well, recording it without sound makes no difference, still runs at 8fps. And this is from a replay. Slowing the replay down by half also makes no change.

Try lowering the target framerate in FRAPS (to limit the load it puts on the computer). For example set it to 10 and record the replay slowed down 4 times. Then speed up the captured video and sound (using audio stretch filter in VirtualDub) and get 40 fps video.
The thing with slowing it down 2, 3 or even 4 times is that the video I want to record is near 10 minutes long. Slowing it down will increase that by up to a figure of 4, and I'm too impatient to wait 40 mins

If I were to do it though, would speeding the whole thing up in a video editing program such as Pinnacle Studio 10 work just at well?

I've tried limiting the FRAPS to capture at around 20 FPS, but it makes no difference, neither does turning the maximum FPS in LFS down to 30.

I don't get why LFS seems to put quite so much stress on FRAPS, when other games work fine?
LFS doesn't put any stress on FRAPS, just stress on the CPU.
Your CPU is quite poor, so you will have to make compromises, or upgrade your PC. Depends on how desperate you are to make video's i guess

Problems with FRAPS
(13 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG