The online racing simulator
Traction Control
(98 posts, started )
#51 - JJ72
and all we have in LFS are basic 90's bangers nothing like Audi BMs and Mercs.

And once again just because cars in real life have it doesn't mean we do, unless it relevant to the the racing experience.....I mean who gives a damn whether your XRT has 4 cup holders and individual climate control for your passengers in the back wearing identical helmets.
That's the US litigation culture for you. Add moronic driver aids to stop them from claiming when they drive into walls.
Quote from Stang70Fastback :It's not just American cars though... they ALL have it (this INCLUDES Audis, BMWs, Mercedes, etc...) My dad's last two AWD Audis have both had traction control.

I guess you failed to realise that an E30 is a model of BMW, of which, as I stated already, I don't have TC anywhere near the damn thing.. and very grateful for that.. ironically, neither did my previous car.. a Mercedes 300TE.. so please, look up the definition of 'ALL'.. I think you'll find you haven't grasped the concept of the word.. much like people's confusion with 'want' and 'need'.

Regards,

Ian
#54 - Jakg
Quote from Woz :n
Just noticed you are from the US, the place that let a moron take McD to court when she burnt herself by putting a hot coffee cup between her legs.

She was suing because McD's coffee is heated to 180 Degrees, and that it would be just as good (but take a tiny amount more time to make) if it wasn't at such a ridiculous temperature - rather than fix this (i.e. 150 or 130 degrees) they simply labelled it "caution - hot" and let the media think she was some sort of fool who was suing because her coffee was hot.
Quote from Jakg :She was suing because McD's coffee is heated to 180 Degrees, and that it would be just as good (but take a tiny amount more time to make) if it wasn't at such a ridiculous temperature - rather than fix this (i.e. 150 or 130 degrees) they simply labelled it "caution - hot" and let the media think she was some sort of fool who was suing because her coffee was hot.

I seem to recall the whole case literature was even more complicated and ridiculous than that.

Mandatory Weird Al plug.
-
(samjh) DELETED by samjh
Quote from Ian.H :I guess you failed to realise that an E30 is a model of BMW, of which, as I stated already, I don't have TC anywhere near the damn thing.. and very grateful for that.. ironically, neither did my previous car.. a Mercedes 300TE.. so please, look up the definition of 'ALL'.. I think you'll find you haven't grasped the concept of the word.. much like people's confusion with 'want' and 'need'.

Regards,

Ian

I think you failed to realize that we had already come to the decision that I was talking about AMERICAN cars and not EUROPEAN cars. Please read the whole thread if you're going to jump in and start calling people out.
Quote from Stang70Fastback :I think you failed to realize that we had already come to the decision that I was talking about AMERICAN cars and not EUROPEAN cars. Please read the whole thread if you're going to jump in and start calling people out.

Huh!? Read what you posted above... here, I'll help you, as you clearly have comprehension difficulties:

Quote from Stang70Fastback :It's not just American cars though... they ALL have it (this INCLUDES Audis, BMWs, Mercedes, etc...) My dad's last two AWD Audis have both had traction control.

All 3 of the 'includes' you mention here are European cars, not American cars... the mind boggles.

Rests, your honour, case, etc etc.

Regards,

Ian
Quote from Ian.H :Huh!? Read what you posted above... here, I'll help you, as you clearly have comprehension difficulties:

All 3 of the 'includes' you mention here are European cars, not American cars... the mind boggles.

Rests, your honour, case, etc etc.

Regards,

Ian

What I meant was cars SOLD in America. Those same cars sold in the UK might not have those systems, but all cars SOLD in America.
Quote from Woz :I have to ask, what has driving in the snow on roads got to do with racing.

Lots of racing occurs in snow, albeit not on public roads:
http://forums.beyond.ca/st/208 ... x-7-club-winter-autox-03/

Quote from Woz :And this is why it has no place in LFS, a game of driving skill not throwing a car into a corner and letting TC take care of the problem

It's amusing to watch someone use TC on an autocross course. Amazingly slow times are the only result, even when the course is almost completely ice. I would happily race against someone that depended on TC.

As for LFS, I don't see why TC couldn't be allowed as an aid for newbies. It won't get them good times, so it's not exactly a cheat of any sort.
Quote from Murray Peterson :It's amusing to watch someone use TC on an autocross course. Amazingly slow times are the only result, even when the course is almost completely ice. I would happily race against someone that depended on TC.

I feel fairly confident that my Subaru (with no traction control of any sort) would completely destroy my dad's almost-new Audi (with traction control on) in a race on snow. His car just really refuses to move on ice. It's NICE when you don't feel like fighting for traction in wintry conditions - it really is - but it can get a bit annoying when you want to just GO! He doesn't use that 'ESP off' button nearly as much as I would
Quote from Stang70Fastback :What I meant was cars SOLD in America. Those same cars sold in the UK might not have those systems, but all cars SOLD in America.

Then I suggest you say what you mean. I doubt many here are mind readers

Regards,

Ian
Quote from Ian.H :Then I suggest you say what you mean. I doubt many here are mind readers

Regards,

Ian

I think most people understood way back before you started this quibble, but yeah - I'll try to be super, EXTRA clear next time
#63 - Woz
Quote from Jakg :She was suing because McD's coffee is heated to 180 Degrees, and that it would be just as good (but take a tiny amount more time to make) if it wasn't at such a ridiculous temperature - rather than fix this (i.e. 150 or 130 degrees) they simply labelled it "caution - hot" and let the media think she was some sort of fool who was suing because her coffee was hot.

I take it you mean 180F (87C) as it is not possible to boil water to 180C.

However you look at it. Coffee is known to be hot because you use hot water to make it. I never understeed WHY they had to label it hot.

The woman was a moron though. Lets face it, she put a HOT cup of coffee between her legs to hold it WHILE she was driving. She actually deserved to get burnt and then she deserved to have her licence taken AWAY because she is actually too STUPID to have a licence in my books

Thats all well OT though.

As for TC. I don't believe that any of the current LFS cars apart from the FZ5 and BF1 should have it currently. But as new cars come in it will depend on what they are as to if they should get it.
Quote from Woz :
[ snip ]

However you look at it. Coffee is known to be hot because you use hot water to make it. I never understeed WHY they had to label it hot.

[ snip ]

heh, like bags of peanuts labelled with 'may contain traces of nuts' and the funniest I came across was Nitol (sleeping tablets) that had a label saying 'may cause drowsiness'.. I damn well hope so!

Regards,

Ian
Quote from Woz :I take it you mean 180F (87C) as it is not possible to boil water to 180C.

This has frighteningly little to do with traction control, but this statement is incorrect. It's very possible to heat liquid water up to and past 180C, but only at very high pressures. This is the principle behind pressure cookers - the superheated liquid cooks food more quickly because it's much hotter than 100C.
I don't think MaccieD's has high pressure coffee makers. Certainly not enough to reach 180°C!!

Edit: Jack, it either wasn't 180° or it wasn't celcius. Trust us on this one Put 180°C water in a cup and it'll pretty instantly vapourise.
#67 - Jakg
Quote from Woz :I take it you mean 180F (87C) as it is not possible to boil water to 180C.

180 degrees C is what I remember it saying. She got 3rd Degree Burns because it was so hot. Like i said the "Warning Hot" is a getout clause (rather than not make it quite so hot) and they twisted the story so the media made her look like the stupid one.
Quote from tristancliffe :Traction control does nothing a human being can't do. If some twat can't get up a snowy hill without electronic aids, then they shouldn't be driving at all in those conditions. Just use less throttle, more clutch slip, or even a higher gear to give less torque multiplication.

when you drive AWD can you modulate power distribution between 4 wheels? can you make your car 1 wheel drive in exteme conditions?
Quote from Ian.H :
Quote :However you look at it. Coffee is known to be hot because you use hot water to make it. I never understeed WHY they had to label it hot.

heh, like bags of peanuts labelled with 'may contain traces of nuts' and the funniest I came across was Nitol (sleeping tablets) that had a label saying 'may cause drowsiness'.. I damn well hope so!

Regards,

Ian

woz, it's to avoid lawsuits remember, the average iq of the world is about 84
I work on the principle that if a car can't up an icy hill without fancy electronic trickery then the conditions are too bad for driving regardless of electronics. And if the driver can't manage without electronics, then the conditions are too bad for him/her.

Sadly, it's now a case of "If the electronics work, I'm safe driving"

Please start using capitals. I know you like appearing like a complete clutz, but we won't mind you trying.
Quote from atlantian :woz, it's to avoid lawsuits remember, the average iq of the world is about 84

No, the point of IQ when it was set up was that 100 was average. Although it has probably gone up since then.

Woz, you're doing it again. I think 90% of the people here realized he meant Farenheight - and what does it matter for the other 10%? The point was that it was VERY hot. That's all that matters. Stop nitpicking - you're just being a smartass...

And you know what - maybe it WAS Celsius - in which case you've just made things complicated for no reason. If it doesn't matter - don't bother arguing it.

Quote from tristancliffe :I work on the principle that if a car can't up an icy hill without fancy electronic trickery then the conditions are too bad for driving regardless of electronics. And if the driver can't manage without electronics, then the conditions are too bad for him/her.

You are absolutely correct, and NOONE recommends driving in adverse weather conditions if at all possible, but there are many instances when the unexpected occurs - and that's when traction/stability control comes in handy.
-
(Stang70Fastback) DELETED by Stang70Fastback
-
(Stang70Fastback) DELETED by Stang70Fastback
#73 - wien
Quote from tristancliffe :Sadly, it's now a case of "If the electronics work, I'm safe driving"

The biggest problem in countries where we actually have snow and ice (i.e. not the UK) is getting up those last few metres of someone's driveway. The roads can be perfectly drivable and safe, but not being able to park you car in your garage because of ice and snow in the driveway can be a bit annoying. In these cases traction control is simply a very good tool. If you're a superhuman driving-stud, I'm sure you could modulate the throttle every 10 milliseconds and get the same effect, but personally I'd rather save my energy and let the car handle it.

This isn't about driving around in horrible conditions where you shouldn't be on the road in the first place. It's simple convenience in those rare conditions where you do need it.
#74 - Woz
Quote from Stang70Fastback :Woz, you're doing it again. I think 90% of the people here realized he meant Farenheight - and what does it matter for the other 10%? The point was that it was VERY hot. That's all that matters. Stop nitpicking - you're just being a smartass...

And you know what - maybe it WAS Celsius - in which case you've just made things complicated for no reason. If it doesn't matter - don't bother arguing it.

Actually it does matter. You see the world is more than just one country.

Temperatures, speed etc are all measured in different units. Even the gallon is a different amount in the US and UK. Or a billion has very different meanings between US and UK, US is 1000 million while UK is 1 million million. So adding units to a forum that can be read around the world DOES matter.

If McD had heated the coffee to 180C then yet that would be their fault. But as 87C is less than my kettle heats water to I would consider that a normal temp for a cup of coffee as would most other right minded people.

I could say I drove at 100. But that could mean 100Kmh or 100mph, one is a speed that will cost me my licence and the other I can pass a police officer here at and not get pulled over. Units DO matter otherwise people assume.

The point I was trying to get at is that 87C is temp you might expected a freshly made cup of coffee to be at. Because the drink is made with HOT water. This is a well know fact, even for very stupid people.

I actually can't believe that a judge would actually side with her and not have punished her for putting other drivers at risk with her act of complete stupidity. I hope that nobody here actually believes is OK to put a cup of coffee between your legs and drive.

This thing is I live in a country where it is still OK not to be PC. Where you can speak your mind and most people do not get offended. A country when you talk direct and not have to bite your lip and sugar coat things. This is a GOOD thing.

PCness in the US means that an illegal imigrant can live, work, get a credit card and mortgage and get all the benefits of the country but not pay taxes etc. Here they find these people and kick then out.

I am sorry if you have been too wrapped in cotton wool with PC BS to be able to accept that
Quote from Woz :Or a billion has very different meanings between US and UK, US is 1000 million while UK is 1 million million.

Um, no. That isn't true at all. A thousand million = one billion. A million million = one trillion. This is the case everywhere, except for a few silly places which don't use a base 10 number system.

Traction Control
(98 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG