The online racing simulator
External Gear Indicator
(135 posts, started )
is there anyway you can make this beep like a shift light signal in say a rx7?
It could be done very easily by anyone with some knowledge of C but I'm afriad my C skills fall short of even this!

You would just need to make it beep rather than set the LED state for the rev limiter and disable the LPT port output.
I suppose you could just wire an external buzzer instead of the LED, though it would draw more power than an LED. It would then continuously buzz until the gear is changed or revs drop.
Quote from P1lot :I suppose you could just wire an external buzzer instead of the LED, though it would draw more power than an LED. It would then continuously buzz until the gear is changed or revs drop.

Yes, you can do it that way. Just increase the voltage to 12VDC (And thus increase the resistors to 550 ohms). That way you can connect DC-buzzer instead of LED (Or connect both into series).

Like said, it buzzes all the time when shift light is active. It would require some kind of logic (Either to GI.exe or external logic prosessor) to make it buzz only x ms (I have made it so it buzzes 300 ms).
I'm going to make this.

It looks almost to easy.

I can just solder leds to it and give them any function? rev meter, shift light, ...? its almost to good to be true.
It is true! It's not too difficult but it requires a lot of soldering, you'll be a great solderer by the end of it. I think mine has around 80 solders in it! Make sure you buy exactly the right components too (the LED display must have a common anode, not a common cathode).
Quote from Nick A :It is true! It's not too difficult but it requires a lot of soldering, you'll be a great solderer by the end of it. I think mine has around 80 solders in it! Make sure you buy exactly the right components too (the LED display must have a common anode, not a common cathode).

I can solder quite well I have the tools.

And instead of soldering the 25D pins im going to directly guide the cable into the housing.

I think with 1,5m i would have more than enough.
And as a housing i'm thinking about using something like this:
http://www.schmersal.be/cms3/o ... c&showPreviewPic=true

Easy to unscrew and change the battery. And it should be big enough to hold all the components.

Now i just have to find the parts

And maybe with some velcro tape i can stick it on top of my G25, like the CCFL's in my pc case. Or maybe its better to stick it under my tv.
Quote from Nick A :I have released v1.1 of the GI Rev Meter program. This is an update by Kada which adds output for braking lights and reverse lights, plus some bug fixes.

See my original post for the download:

http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?p=437243#post437243

Ya! I have had those features for a month now in my GI.EXE (Thanks, Kada <3). It is happy to see that feedback actually works.

PS. Can you make that it sends rev through LPT-port (And I mean it sends for example 5000 Hz when the rev is 2500 rpm (There is a multiplier x what is changeble in config-file))? I could then put my rev-meter in use.
I'm afraid I don't know how you would do that because I'm not sure the program would run fast enough to be able to output at those sorts of frequencies.
Quote from Nick A :I'm afraid I don't know how you would do that because I'm not sure the program would run fast enough to be able to output at those sorts of frequencies.

Ya, I was afraid of that.
Well, I can always do like I have done this far: Rev-meter is only a deco (And a nice one, sky blue numbers and bright red pointer).
Sounds nice. Have you got a photo of it?
Quote from Nick A :Sounds nice. Have you got a photo of it?

Unfortunately I only have old pictures. Maybe in couple of weeks I can get new ones. Have to weld couple of peaces together and drill more holes to buttons and switches. And tomorrow I'll go to the junkyard to get a handbrake switch from Fiat 127.
Quote from Kada_CZ :Maybe you need to set a different LPT port in GI's config.txt, the number (default 0x378) can be found in Windows Device Manager. Look for the card and click "Properties".

I Dont find the address from properties. My card is some Vscom multiIO card, and I gues its just wrong becouse the computer can´t find the parallel port from when using parmon for example. Tried on my friend´s computer and did´t work there either. That one has normal Parallel port on mother board and the system works fine there.

I haven´t even found a proper card for pci-slot (for this usage) at least not from Finish computer shops. If anyone knows a working parallel card for pci-slot I would be pleased to have some help..
In Properties go to Resources. The number you need is the first number in Input/Output range.

As far as I'm aware Parmon only works with the default parallel port address, which is a bit of a nuisance, but does mean that this isn't a sign that your card isn't working.
Quote from Nick A :In Properties go to Resources. The number you need is the first number in Input/Output range.

Works! I am so happy. Thank you a lot!
Quote from Nick A :Edit: 06/03/08 v1.2 Added output for "engine running"

Now this I call fast! I suggested it about an hour ago! Great job!
I got almost al the components.

i got everything except the IC's, they arrive on monday.

But i coudnt find any big display biggest i could find where 75mm but with common cathode. The biggest with common anode were the 13mm ones.

I'll make one now with the small display, and maybe later find a bigger one. Or Import one maybe ur just move one to LCD

oh yeah and i got ultra bright leds in 5 dif colors

Cost me €12 for all the components to make one.
i'm going to make 2, so that i have 1 to sell to somebody or as a gift
I have spare 7seg displays that are big enough and has common anode. Want to have a vacation and come to Finland? I can give you one for free!
I bought enough to make 2 and it cost about £15. I would reccommend finding a bigger LCD display before you start if you can to save having to re-solder and mount a new one.
i'm thinking about first making a F1 style indicator.
and later a rally one with a big display. But these are not to find just in a store. if i have to order and it would cost me more than €8 for one.

but was it wrong for me to buy bright leds? they are realy super bright! hurts my eyes :s
And i think that the 9v battery isnt going to last very long.
Attached images
shiftidea.JPG
Quote from 128MB :i'm thinking about first making a F1 style indicator.
and later a rally one with a big display.

but was it wrong for me to buy bright leds? they are realy super bright! hurts my eyes :s
And i think that the 9v battery isnt going to last very long.

@ Gekkebi: lol, can u send the segment by mail?

Yes, bright ones are ideally a bad idea.

Hmm, maybe I could send it by mail. Don't know how much it costs to send it, 'tho. Have you tried to visit local electronic component shops? If you can't find it locally, I can send it... But only as a last resort.
I have a superbright LED display for my gear indicator. It's probably a little bright, at least compared to the rev meter. I should have bought superbrights for both.

The battery (a NiMh 280mAh) lasts about 1.5-2 hours. I should really get a 9v adapter to power it.
I altered it to 12 volts so I can use 12V power supply. Only thing you'll have to do is to change the resistors to 550 ohms. You can drive darlington drivers with even 50 volts, if necessary (...And it is not).

External Gear Indicator
(135 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG