The online racing simulator
Quote from Riders Motion :I'm getting 160 FPS here, so can't really help you, sorry...

lol with 160 fps you got bruce lee power then you're the man
the thing is 160fps is useless, u got no difference between 60 and 1557695786578657865 fps..
how do people get near 200fps i just got brand new acer l320 comp and my fps is normally around 25fps and at race starts around 11-12 if i am on my own online i get around 30-40 so where am i going wrong.
Quote from viper-2007 :how do people get near 200fps i just got brand new acer l320 comp and my fps is normally around 25fps and at race starts around 11-12 if i am on my own online i get around 30-40 so where am i going wrong.

Because those computers often have strong processors but shitty videocards and vice cersa
Quote from viper-2007 :how do people get near 200fps i just got brand new acer l320 comp and my fps is normally around 25fps and at race starts around 11-12 if i am on my own online i get around 30-40 so where am i going wrong.

I'd find out what your specs are and post in the Technical Assistance or Hardware sections of the forum if i were you. Im sure you should get better performance than that.

The lowest i get is aroung 20-24 fps, but thats usually only on race starts with a grid of over 20 cars.

I'd stick to building my own computer, if you find the right deals it can acutually be abit cheaper than buying one that is already together.
Quote from joeynuggetz :Since I'm running an LCD monitor, I have VSYNC on to avoid tearing which means that my FPS is locked at 60FPS. For some reason, I notice the LFS at 60FPS does not look as fluid as rFactor or GTR2 running at 60FPS. Anyone know what that is?

Maybe you are having same problem as me? http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=35922
I have very high frame rates all the time (+100 fps), but with v-sync stutters like crazy and AA&AF dont work
Quote from wien :You can see a similar effect if you watch a movie (24FPS) on TV or DVD (50Hz or 60Hz depending on where you are in the world).

actually you dont on a pal (50 hz) one since it does pseudo progressive frames at 25 fps so the conversion conema => pal works by speeding up the movie just a bit
on a ntsc (never the same colour) system with 29.9whatever frames with 3:2 pulldown (one interlaced frame built out of 2 consecutive ones every 3 frames iirc ... bit unsure about the numbers but you get the idea) you do get the inverse effect of what you see on lfs in that the frame slows down several times every second (very noticeable duing slow pans)
Quote from Shotglass :http://www.lfsforum.net/showth ... highlight=lfs+rfactor+fps

That thread starts bad, but I think that this threads starter is referring to the same thing as that threads starter.
LFS' physics run at 100Hz and if your framerate isn't 100fps or any multiplications of that (25, 50, 200 etc) LFS will seem a bit jerky because physics are not in sync with the frames.
Well there is that question answered I always wondered why LFS appeared a bit umm jittery especially during pan's with the cameras. Now I know.

Now to find a way to try get it looking smoother.
Scawen... Can you up the physics engine to 120fps ? Please pretty please
Quote from Postman Pat :I have an LCD too (Dell 2407) and every driving sim will tear as the scenery whizzes past, for example on tight bends. So I always have Vsync on too. And yes, I also find LFS movement a tad jerky compared with GTL, GTR2, or tomb raider for that matter. My system's reasonably good (below) and the processor's hardly doing anything according to task manager in LFS, whereas it's working hard with the others, so I don't know why.

Have you got triple buffering going? If your graphics card is Nvidia I assume you need something like d3doverrider with LFS (as you do with GTL etc.) which comes with rivatuner (free) to force that or you'll lose frames when your fps drops below 60..but you did say 'at 60' so probably not that.

Abit IN9 32X-MAX
Intel E6700 core duo 2.67GHz
XFX 8800 GTX 768MB
Corsair Twinx 2GN DDR2 6400C4
2x500G Seagate SATA2
850W Enermax EGA850EWL PSU
X-fi Fatality
Dell 2407WFP (1920x1200x32) VGA 60Hz
XP Pro.

Dont want to sound like the usual demo bashing arsehole, but.....

Thats a damn fine machine you have there,surely theres $50.00 left over to buy the game?

And if your logging in a demo racer when you have a s2 account, i apologize in advance.
Quote from DragonCommando :Things can seem jerky because of the way the car acts. If you have the 1g forces up to around .050m it can seem as if you are getting a jerky motion from the FPS, but it's actually the car vibrating.

I think you're on to something here. I thought about this being a possibility before. Lots of things fool my eyes into thinking that the animations aren't as smooth like lack of AA and AF and now that you mention it the forces in the cockpit. Still, I think it might be something bigger than this. Thanks to the folks that suggested the 100Mhz thing. I'll try locking my frames at 100 FPS and try to ignore the tearing to see if thats it.
#37 - wien
Quote from joeynuggetz :I'll try locking my frames at 100 FPS and try to ignore the tearing to see if thats it.

Unless you have a CRT monitor capable of 100Hz refresh rates, that won't do anything. Your screen will probably redraw at 60Hz anyway, negating any benefit from upping the framerate (It may get a little bit smoother, but the fundamental problem is still here).

Also, the cars vibrating wouldn't have any impact on the smoothness of the TV-camera which you said also was jerky.
Quote from wien :Unless you have a CRT monitor capable of 100Hz refresh rates, that won't do anything. Your screen will probably redraw at 60Hz anyway, negating any benefit from upping the framerate (It may get a little bit smoother, but the fundamental problem is still here).

Also, the cars vibrating wouldn't have any impact on the smoothness of the TV-camera which you said also was jerky.

Duh, you're right. Not sure what I was thinking. Anyway, I tried locking the frames to 100 and they never really lock at 100. Always something like 92FPS. I know my machine can do 100 no problem becuase with VSYNC off its in the 200's.

What do these options do in the game:

Full Screen Vertical Sync ?
Minimum sleep?

When I flip on Full Screen VS, it does't really do anything. If I have vsync off in control panel and turn this on in game, the FPS stay the same. Is this supposed to be vsync in the game?

What about minimum sleep? Does this setting have anything to do with the display?
#39 - wien
Unless you have set vsync to "always off" in the driver control panel, "Full Screen Vertical Sync" should enable vsync. Minimum sleep is the minimum time LFS will sleep between each frame when the framerate is locked to a specific frequency. This can be use to give the OS "time to breathe" if you have problems with sound stuttering or network lag or stuff like that.
I'd wager it's not a video setting causing the problem. If you're getting 60FPS but it's not fluid, it sounds very much like another process is causing issues. For example, Nero Scout will cause all kinds of problems for games like LFS. I don't know why LFS is so vulnerable to this, but it certainly is and I have had a lot of trouble in the past from invasive processes such as this. So I reccommend that you have a good look at what processes you have running and google them all.
Quote from Burnzoire :I'd wager it's not a video setting causing the problem. If you're getting 60FPS but it's not fluid, it sounds very much like another process is causing issues. For example, Nero Scout will cause all kinds of problems for games like LFS. I don't know why LFS is so vulnerable to this, but it certainly is and I have had a lot of trouble in the past from invasive processes such as this. So I reccommend that you have a good look at what processes you have running and google them all.

It's not that. I have a quad core processor and the game is stable. No stuttering at all. It's just when compared to other simulations like GTR2 or rFactor, their 60FPS look a lot more fluid than LFS for some reason. Hard to explain. Not really a technical issue. Plus, if other processes were doing something on my PC, that would affect the frame rate. My FPS is at 59-60 FPS solid when I have vsync on.

Also, I tried turning vsycn off and Full Screen Vertical Sync does nothing in game. Shouldn't that force my FPS to a certain number? If I have that on and limit FPS to off, what would be the expectation from turning on FSVS?
#42 - wien
FSVS is vsync. But with some drivers vsync doesn't get enabled if it's set to "off" in the drives. In the ATI drivers for example, you need to set it to "off, unless application specifies" for the in-game setting to work. I think Nvidia has a similar setting.
I had the stutter, here is how I fixed it. In your video card settings (not LFS settings) set Vsync to "Controlled by Application".

Now go into LFS Options > Misc
Set Full screen vertical sync: to [yes]
and Limit in-game frame rate: to [no]

Also, switch to windowed mode (shift+F4) and then back to full screen if you're using Vsync, it nearly doubled my FPS for some reason.
how do you guys get so much FPS? i only get max of 25 while racing/drifting/cruising
A decent CPU/GPU? Seems likely.

Even my old card (6600GT) could run LFS at maximum settings at 60fps all day.
Quote :It's not that. I have a quad core processor and the game is stable. No stuttering at all. It's just when compared to other simulations like GTR2 or rFactor, their 60FPS look a lot more fluid than LFS for some reason. Hard to explain. Not really a technical issue.

I think i have the same here. Compared to rFactor, GTR2, GTL,...LFS looks a bit less "fluid"(best example is South City,when u look at the buildings, the distance shields or any sideobjects from the track,while driving,they look like there is always a little little stuttering in it....) than these games at 60 or 75Hz with Vsync on.But as you said its not a big problem, but its not so smooth and "round" as the other Sims. It also have nothing to do with tearing,or heavy stutters.

So i run a ATi 1900XT 512MB
Core2 Duo 6750
2x 1Giga Ram
Win XP
Audigy Platinum
gigabyte P35 DS 4
and a NEC 19" LCD which can do max @ 75 Hz 1280x1024

Dunno about the Nvidia thing.....because i was very disappointed with the 7800 GT series in racing sims,(horrible blurry image Quality) so i changrd back to ATI....

So try to download the latest RivaTuner (www.Guru3d.com), install it, and then go to its folder for example: c\: Programs \Rivatuner\tools and you find into the tools folder the Direct3d Overrider.
This program lets you enable Triple buffering on Ati cards, which is very helpful,when Vsync is enabled, and the fps only go slightly under the 60Hz you will loose without triple buffering 15 or 30 fps...with triple buffering activated, you will loose much less fps if it comes to the same situation.

Another important point is the option minimum sleep, i set it to 1 ms, and it helped LFs to get a bit more smooth.

I run LFS now in 1280x1024 @ 75 HZ 4xAA 16 AF and direct 3d overrider is on
Quote from Bob Smith :A decent CPU/GPU? Seems likely.

Even my old card (6600GT) could run LFS at maximum settings at 60fps all day.

ya maybe by yourself with 0 AA and AF
#48 - wien
Quote from mooneye :I think i have the same here. Compared to rFactor, GTR2, GTL,...LFS looks a bit less "fluid"(best example is South City,when u look at the buildings, the distance shields or any sideobjects from the track,while driving,they look like there is always a little little stuttering in it....) than these games at 60 or 75Hz with Vsync on.

Have a look here and here. It all comes down to the fact that LFS physics run at a constant 100Hz while the graphics usually run at 60Hz.
Quote from steve :ya maybe by yourself with 0 AA and AF

No, i have an Athlon64 3200+ and a 6800GS (not that much better than bobs 6600GT) and it creams LFS with 4xsAA and 16xAF, full grid online.
Quote from The Moose :No, i have an Athlon64 3200+ and a 6800GS (not that much better than bobs 6600GT) and it creams LFS with 4xsAA and 16xAF, full grid online.

Yup, similar here. Athalon64 3500+ and ATI 1650, 4xAA but only 8xAF. 80 FPS, but will dip down in the high 30's/low 40's on race starts with many racers.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG