The online racing simulator
danowat nailed it there.

So please, wait for us to formulate a new policy.

Then we can start another round of arguing.
Quote from birder :SamH: [...] What you seem to be saying is that its all part of "Racing" which puts over that you should treat every car you catch as being a car fighting for the win and you must try to pass, almost at all costs, which is rather stupid (IMO) when that car could simply move over and let him by.

No, Colin, you're making some real leaps from what I said, which was very clear, to something I most certainly did NOT say. I really don't appreciate that.. twist someone else's meaning, not mine, thanks kindly.

I'll say it again.. being held up IS part of racing when you're in a server with a number of cars in a long race where lapping is involved. Unfortunate, annoying, time-consuming and a fundamental part of multiplayer racing. At no time did I, nor will I, ever suggest that you should fight a lapping car for position.
Quote from danowat :Funny how the faster drivers moan about the slower drivers, and vice versa, ...........

It boils down to an ego thing, the slower drivers ego gets hurt because they have to yeld to faster drivers (and probably wish they were as fast, heck, I know I feel it) and the faster drivers ego's get the better of them when a slower driver gets in the way of "their" race.

Bottomline, this will never get sorted, not while there is such a spread of skill levels on the same track, so I emplore the IGTC admins to clarify the rules so that these sorts of disscusions become null and void, because it will go round, and round, and round, you get the idea......

Sure, ego gets in the way. But you are missing the point. The point is that all cars are racing. Some are racing to hold 18th spot and some are racing to hold 1st.

What the faster guy has to realize is that the slower guy is racing too. You may have to wait for a corner or two before the pass can happen if you catch them at a bad spot.

Conversely, the slower guy has to realize that the faster guy isn't just out there hot lapping for a pb. They are having a race too and every 10th of a second is important to them. Don't fight the guy, work with him to let him get around as quickly and as safely as possible.

Lapping is a big part of endurance racing. Traffic giveth and traffic taketh away. Learn from it and accept it. It will not change anytime soon. I can't say it any stronger than this. It is part of endurance racing at every level. Expanded and explicit rules are not really going to make it any different, just more complicated.

My last comment is this, if you are getting held up by a slower car who seems to be racing you, talk to the other team. We have team speak and vent servers up. We should have irc up for teams to use. Team managers should monitor these communications. This is exactly what real teams will do in races, they will talk to each other. You shouldn't have to discuss lapping, but that is one more tool to use. You never know, maybe somebody is confused because you discoed and reconnected and now you are 30 laps behind as far as LFS is concerned and you are not generating blue flags.
Quote from DeadWolfBones :We're simply stating that sometimes it's not in the lapped cars' best interest to let a lapping car by right away. They might be fighting for position themselves, they might be in a difficult spot on the track, etc etc. We do expect lapped cars to give way to a faster car at the first sign of an attempted pass.

I've already posted earlier in this thread that the real problem was from some drivers who were 4, 5 or 6 laps down, and who were not having a close fight for position at this moment, fighting with the leaders for several laps while being under blue flag, even pushing the faster cars at fault or forcing them to make risky overtaking manoeuvres.
And this not happened to us CD only but to almost all teams which finished in the top 5.

By the rules as they are now, on a track like South City a slower car can easily hold up the whole pack behind him while doing nothing against the rules.

I fully understand that there might be slower cars on the track for many different reasons and that is part of racing but I find not acceptable that some drivers are ignoring the faster car(s) behind them for several laps while they are themselves not fighting for position.
The general blue flag rule doesn't say that it's an obligation to give the racing line nor to slow down but that you have to facilitate the overtaking of the faster car. What some drivers have deliberatly ignored during round 1, hence the need of a new set set of detailed rules to avoid any confusion.

Quote from DeadWolfBones :So please, wait for us to formulate a new policy.

Then we can start another round of arguing.

OK, let's wait and see
Quote from Lotesdelere :I fully understand that there might be slower cars on the track for many different reasons and that is part of racing but I find not acceptable that some drivers are ignoring the faster car(s) behind them for several laps while they are themselves not fighting for position.
The general blue flag rule doesn't say that it's an obligation to give the racing line nor to slow down but that you have to facilitate the overtaking of the faster car. What some drivers have deliberatly ignored during round 1, hence the need of a new set set of detailed rules to avoid any confusion.

I think everyone here can get behind this sentiment. The issue is formulating a rule that is fair and clear to all.

We welcome suggestions, but in the meantime we'll be working on our own to draft one.

The 5+ lap down car does not need to be fighting the leader. That is one thing i was unaware of going on in the first race.

I'll quote myself as for my idea, but Please note my added addendum below:

Quote from srdsprinter :
Lapped Car must drive normal racing line/pace. No defensive manouvers. Must yield position to lapping car upon first overtaking manouver.

Lapping Car must present overtaking manouver to signal Lapped Car to yield.

Lapped cars continue their own race, but yield when the lapping car is in position to pass.

Strong pentalties for contact or defensive manouvers against a lapping car.

* With the addendum: Once a car has been lapped twice (i.e. on the 3rd, 4th, lapping), the team looses the right to the hold position till first racing move and must yield at the first safe opportunity to do so.

Reasoning is that for 2 laps, a team is conceivably in the race. Lengthy pit stop, a crash, driver differences, etc could explain 2 laps difference. After 2 laps, you are attempting to gain maximum laps, and not fighting for podium positions.

* Overtaking Manouver/Position To Pass Definition. Lapping car within 2 car length and makes a move to inside towards a braking zone.

Ideally, common sense would negate the need for this kinds of rules; however, it is important to have almost all scenarios played out in the rules.
Just so everyone's aware, I'm also discussing with Starblue ways to use the tracker to:

a) Give cars 2+ laps down to the car behind a "waved blue flag" a la CTRA, and...
b) Give the admins a warning when a car stays ahead of a lapping car for X number of sectors.
What about a small BnJ style list in the bottom right corner, telling the driver who is positionally ahead and behind you?
Quote from dawesdust_12 :What about a small BnJ style list in the bottom right corner, telling the driver who is positionally ahead and behind you?

Yeah, that would be a great idea
Especially seeing I think I've spammed it 4 times?
I've never driven BnJ... can I get a screenie here?
I'll go get a BJ, then post the screenshot here.
Here, along the bottom is how it is in BJ server, then my great paint skills is how I'd concieve it to be in the IGTC tracker, else it'll cover the clutch temperature bit.
Attached images
lfs_00000012.jpg
First attempt at a new Blue Flag section for the rules:

Quote :1) When being lapped, a driver is expected to drive a normal racing line and avoid erratic movements that may confuse lapping drivers. Under no circumstances should a driver being lapped slow excessively while entering or in the middle of a corner.
1.1) If a lapped car is one lap down to the lapping car, the lapped driver must yield position upon the first properly-presented overtaking maneuver by the lapping car.

1.2) If a lapped car is two or more laps down to the lapping car, the lapped driver must yield position at the earliest opportunity in a manner that does not violate rule I1. Acceptable methods include slowing slightly on a straight or taking a wider line through a corner.
2) As the in-race running order is often incorrect, teams are expected to monitor the tracker and LFS Remote in order to provide their driver with information regarding the status of lapped or lapping cars. Ignorance of a lapping or lapped car’s position in the running order is not an acceptable excuse for blocking.

3) Lapped drivers must not defend against overtaking maneuvers presented by lapping cars. Any defensive maneuver will result in a DT penalty. A defensive maneuver resulting in contact will result in a SG penalty.

4) Lapping drivers must use caution when overtaking lapped cars. Over-aggressive or poorly-presented overtaking attempts resulting in contact will result in a SG penalty as described in rule H5.

The only real issue I see here is that cars 2+ laps down may still be quicker than a lapping car (particularly following a restart). Requiring them to let a lapping car by may create an undesirable situation wherein the faster (but lapped) car must give up his position and then shadow the lapping car. Furthermore, a lapped car has the right to attempt to un-lap himself if he has sufficient pace.

Perhaps some common sense can be used here. Is it necessary to write in a clause stating that a faster lapped car may ignore rule I1.2?

Please, poke holes in this proposal. We need to get this right.
Sounds better then it was before During the last race when Heikki was driving his final stint in #29 there was a lapped car catching up with him. I was watching this over LFS Remote and the Tracker and told Heikki to let the faster, but lapped, car pass as it was not for a position and was going 0.5s/lap faster at the time. Funny how that "lapped" car spun off the track just a few turns later though.... ;-) But it was the proper thing to do.
As you said...it's common sense, teams should do this and instruct their drivers when occasions like that come up
I'm sorry, but I feel the need to get involved in this discussion with some practical input.

CR had 2 spotters, me and R.Hoiting. we were constantly following the race via the tracker and remote (with me sometimes having to reconnect after suffering from connection problems).
Our strategy was : Moose 1st stint, bean0 2nd, Tony 3rd, Moose 4th to gain some ground back.
After a few minor incidents and quite unlucky descisions concerning SC laps we've found ourselves 4 laps down with a slightly popping engine and the Moose catching up to the SR car. He could do 1:09:low stable and came from about 20s behind SR to about 1s!
IF the above new rule would be there it would not have allowed us to unlap ourselves several times to get back to our position.

Imo you can surely change the blue flag rules in order to refine things, but maybe you should more adress to the drivers brains then put up more regulations.

Overtaking, especially lapping always involves the thing called common sense by both racers involved.

Let's take KY as an example, the first few corners after the high camber one. It will NOT be possible to make a clean pass in the right hander, cars might overshoot and land in the sand trap. The best thing to do here for the lapping car would be to wait and stay a few car lengths behind until the beginning of the double right, take a wider line, thus being able to accelerate faster and get the blue flagged car easily on the straight. This whole thing might be a few tenths slower (depending on both car's pace) but no one would be hurt.
I expect people to do it the first described way though....

If everyone would use his brain you could spare the safety car and we all could really enjoy the races

enough of that now :-)

greetz

der butz
Well, we had 1 spotter + the other driver being a spotter, and we had no problems really. Except when 1 spotter was getting drunk, and I was making food, leaving sam to himself, which wasn't bad at all.
Quote from der butz :... maybe you should more adress to the drivers brains then put up more regulations...
der butz

+1

Here´s some way to arvieve this:

- the first two laps of the race every car will be monitored by the admins after the race (replay)
- on aSC period the following 2 laps every car will be monitored by the admins after the race (replay)
-the last two laps of the race every car will be monitored by the admins after the race.(replay)

I have a strong feeling that the IGTC admins know exactely how they want to have their race.
I don´t think the IGTC admin stuff has the manpower to go through a replay and check on every car during the hole 4 hours. That´s why I propose the 2 laps only. The way protests are done, should of course still be valid.

Every single incident detected by the admins after the race will get punished.
In the way i describe every driver will sooner or later know what is allowed to do - or not.
There will be better and more cautious racing all in all.
Mayby not the upcoming race as some people first have to feel how it´s like to get some point reduction after the race, but in two or three races everybody will know what to do and what they better not should do...
Quote from Hallen :
What the faster guy has to realize is that the slower guy is racing too. You may have to wait for a corner or two before the pass can happen if you catch them at a bad spot.

Conversely, the slower guy has to realize that the faster guy isn't just out there hot lapping for a pb. They are having a race too and every 10th of a second is important to them. Don't fight the guy, work with him to let him get around as quickly and as safely as possible.

Lapping is a big part of endurance racing. Traffic giveth and traffic taketh away. Learn from it and accept it. It will not change anytime soon. I can't say it any stronger than this. It is part of endurance racing at every level. Expanded and explicit rules are not really going to make it any different, just more complicated.

Very well said, Hallen.

+1
Quote from DeadWolfBones :Please, poke holes in this proposal. We need to get this right.

Bottom line, it's prescriptive rather than goal-based, and thus it's likely that it will break in some way.

I would recommend taking Eric Hall's statement, which is the essence of what you want to convey by re-defining the blue flag rules, and try to make that itself into a rule. The more goal-based you can make your rule, the less opportunities for people to find loopholes in it.
Quote from DeadWolfBones :
Perhaps some common sense can be used here.

Bones, if common sense was being used by the lapping , as well as, lapped cars you wouldn't have to re-write the rules.

I think you are setting yourself up for controversy. The 2+ laps down but fast than a lapping car clause is rather subjective. Additionally, if I am faster even though I am multiple laps down I am not giving up my position only to tail the lapper because he is laps ahead, just makes for a dangerous situation. As you state lapped cars have the right to unlap themselves if possible.
Alright, so how about just getting rid of 1.2 and altering 1.1?:

Quote :1) When being lapped, a driver is expected to drive a normal racing line and avoid erratic movements that may confuse lapping drivers. Under no circumstances should a driver being lapped slow excessively while entering or in the middle of a corner.
1.1) The lapped driver must yield position upon the first properly-presented overtaking maneuver by the lapping car.

2) As the in-race running order is often incorrect, teams are expected to monitor the tracker and LFS Remote in order to provide their driver with information regarding the status of lapped or lapping cars. Ignorance of a lapping or lapped car’s position in the running order is not an acceptable excuse for blocking.

3) Lapped drivers must not defend against overtaking maneuvers presented by lapping cars. Any defensive maneuver will result in a DT penalty. A defensive maneuver resulting in contact will result in a SG penalty.

4) Lapping drivers must use caution when overtaking lapped cars. Over-aggressive or poorly-presented overtaking attempts resulting in contact will result in a SG penalty as described in rule H5.

I like this latest revision... fairly.
And Sam, if you can give me an idea of what you mean by goal-based, please do so. Try to rewrite that current rule section I just posted in that style.

Thanks!

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG