The online racing simulator
Rate my (potential) new system.
(12 posts, started )
Hello,

My beloved Athlon 3000+ system died a horrible death last night, and I'm going to order a new system over the weekend. Below is what I whipped up from a 30 minute research session at lunch today.

What do all the hardware gurus think? Is it all going to work together? Am I missing anything big that will stop the show? Can I get better components for the investment? The budget is AU$1700.00. Thanks in advance for any input.
  • Mobo Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3P LGA775 M/B, 1333FSB, 2x PCI-E x16, PCI-E x1, 2x PCI, 8x SATA, GigaLAN, Firewire, Audio w/SPDIF
  • DVD Asus DRW-1814BL Lightscribe Black 16x DVD+/-R, 8x Dual Layer+R IDE Drive, retail w/software
  • CPU Intel Core2 Duo E8200 2.66Ghz (1333mhz) CPU, Dual core LGA775 45nm 6mb, BX80570E8200
  • RAM Geil 2048MB DDR2-800 Ultra Twin Pack PC-6400 240-pin DDR2 RAM, 2x 1024MB sticks, 4-4-4-12
  • CASE Atlas Server Case includes TruePower 2.0 550W Power Supply
  • HDD SAMSUNG 160GB 7200RPM SATA-II HARD DISK
  • Video eVGA nVidia 8800GT 512mb PCI-E x16 video card, 2x DVI, video out, 600/1800MHz
  • Monitor Viewsonic 22" VA2226W Value Series Wide-Screen LCD Monitor
Total Cost - Approx AU$1600.00

-EDIT- My priorities are to get a Vista / DX10 ready machine that can play any current games at full stick. (I'll concede maybe Crysis and FSX :schwitz. A lot of storage space isn't important and I don't care too much for quietness or uber good sound.
#2 - Jakg
How much is that Mobo? I've never seen the "Ep35" before, i've only ever seen the P35
That's a sexy system, especially that E8200. But, why only a 160 GB hard drive?
Quote from shiny_red_cobra :That's a sexy system, especially that E8200. But, why only a 160 GB hard drive?

Well most of my storage is on external drives, so the one we're talking about here will only be for OS and apps.
Quote from farcar :Well most of my storage is on external drives, so the one we're talking about here will only be for OS and apps.

Yeah - but to be honest, it would make more sense to just get something like a 320 Gb one. Considering the sizes of programs just keep going up, and that computer will definitely last you a few years. It would just be better matched to your system. It's only maybe $30-$40 more...
Also if you don't mind a smaller hard drive, you should get something very very fast, perhaps a raptor.
Quote from DHRammstein :Also if you don't mind a smaller hard drive, you should get something very very fast, perhaps a raptor.

The samsung is very sillent, the raptor makes lots of noise. I should go for the samsung. Cheaper, silent and fast.
Yeah if you don't desire the speed then you'll be good with the samsung.
Quote from DHRammstein :Also if you don't mind a smaller hard drive, you should get something very very fast, perhaps a raptor.

The thing is that Raptors are more expensive and to be honest, I don't really mind if Windows or LFS takes an extra couple of seconds to load.

I'm really more worried about skimping on the PSU than anything else. I'm still considering a different case and a standalone PSU. I just don't know what alternatives I should be looking at.
Quote from Stang70Fastback :Yeah - but to be honest, it would make more sense to just get something like a 320 Gb one. Considering the sizes of programs just keep going up, and that computer will definitely last you a few years. It would just be better matched to your system. It's only maybe $30-$40 more...

I made the purchase and ended up getting the 320Gb drive. You're right, it's not that much more. It should be delivered by Wednesday.
If I can be arsed, I'll do a bit of a blog on putting everything together and post some pictures.
Quote from farcar :I made the purchase and ended up getting the 320Gb drive. You're right, it's not that much more. It should be delivered by Wednesday.
If I can be arsed, I'll do a bit of a blog on putting everything together and post some pictures.

Sounds good. Keep us posted on how it turns out!

(12 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG