The online racing simulator
XP Fundamentals + LFS = Shows how basic LFS is.
Last night me and a mate of mine decided to install Microsoft Windows XP Fundamentals on my laptop. Basically it's a slimmed down XP, 30% faster overall.

The problem is however that since my laptop is mainly used for LFS, LFS not having a software scan of needed components kinda screw things up.

Instead of it doing a quick scan of the computer and telling me what is wrong it starts to display error messages here and there. "*.dll not found" "The procedure entry point MakeCriticalSectionGlobal could not be located in the dynamic link library KERNEL32.dll" and with these files, that are the very basis of the OS not corresponding correctly makes me kinda wonder.

I posted the topic here instead of the "Suggestion" or "Problem" forums, mainly due to the fact that I want the devs to see it.

/Johan
Never heard of XP Fundamentals
-
(ussbeethoven) DELETED by ussbeethoven
As said in that article, it IS still windows XP but a slimmed down version.

It shouldn't be a problem to use LFS but it is, and I really wonder how it could be.
-
(ussbeethoven) DELETED by ussbeethoven
#4 - ajp71
Quote from Poffter :As said in that article, it IS still windows XP but a slimmed down version.

From the Wiki description I gather it is not aimed as a general use OS and solely aimed at corporations who want to keep pre-historic PCs going with no intention of playing games on them (how do you have it anyway?). It says basic networking and most 2000/XP programs which probably means that certain features LFS requires aren't included.

If you're not using a standard operating system I can't really see the cause for complaint, surely it's better for programs to take advantage of features included in an OS?
#5 - J.B.
Quote from Poffter :
It shouldn't be a problem to use LFS but it is, and I really wonder how it could be.

Huh? WXPF doesn't even have joystick support according to Wikipedia. Surely this is a case of you trying to run LFS on an unsupported OS rather than some kind of LFS problem?

I mean maybe you could request WXPF support from the devs but I don't understand how you are trying to spin this into an "LFS is poorly coded" issue.
Don't you get it, they (as in microsoft) haven't changed any features THAT basic, KERNEL32.dll is basically the operating system not a feature.
The file KERNEL32.dll does exist but is obviously changed/tweaked in a way that LFS doesn't like.

That article is a stub anyways, only general information no specifics.
I may look stupid once again but could someone (the OP perhaps) tell me what the title actually supposes to mean? When a program doesn't run on an unsupported OS and that means the program is...?

Quote :XP Fundamentals + LFS = Shows how basic LFS is.

#8 - J.B.
Quote from simon2 :Don't you get it

No. Please elaborate the point you are trying to make.
Windows XP Fundamentals is Windows XP without unnessecary stuff.
Fundamentals does work with both Half-Life 1/2 and World of Warcraft. Don't comment on those games except for the fact that they are games and that is what's essential in this case.

Most .dll-files have stayed the same for all eternity, since Windows NT. LFS does work with Vista right? Vista is a heavily evolved XP, not totally new. Does share very many basic files, like KERNEL32.dll.

Where in that article on Wiki does it say that they have changed features that basic?
Does anything else work on the XP Fundamentals thing? Any other games or apps?
WoW seems to make the same call or a similar one, so maybe WoW just installs the htings it needs automatically in the background?

http://forums.worldofwarcraft. ... rId=31681719451&sid=1

According to some Forum posts you will quickly find when google-ing for the error, the problem is caused by an outdated directX version. So install the latest one and it will likely work again.
Also, its important that the files are really overwriten... Maybe your stragne system has disabled things that are required for LFS.
I really guess it actually IS the joystick support, which is not present in your windows version.

Maybe try nlite and make your own windows, which should actually woth then
But doesn't LFS use an old DirectX version anyway? I forgot which one exactly, maybe 7 or 8, but definately not 9.
#14 - Jakg

Why the funk would you use "XP Fundamentals"? It's not designed to be a hardcore gaming OS!

If you want that then use nLite.
XP Fundamentals is not something you should be running games on - or any other software really. It's mostly meant to work as a remote desktop client as far as I know, and isn't even available as a retail product. You could always complain to microsoft support but I doubt they are going to care as you're doing something you're not supposed to be doing with it.

Just use Win2k or a Linux distro with Wine if you cant run "full" XP.
#16 - J.B.
Quote from Poffter :LFS does work with Vista right? Vista is a heavily evolved XP, not totally new. Does share very many basic files, like KERNEL32.dll.

It's not that simple. You make it sound like any Windows software needs to run flawlessly on any Windows version that has the same Kernel32.dll.

There are many other components to an OS that differ from version to version. LFS did need some changes before it worked properly on Vista.

LFS officially supports XP and Vista, not kernel32 or XP fundamentals.

It's not up to you to decide which OS LFS devs should support.

So bottom line is: learn some manners when making a request.
As Kegetys says, fundamentals a replacement, or alternative, to running a WinCE (or other thin os) for use in a terminal services, or other thin environments, on existing hardware which you also wish to beable to control through standard windows active directory tools (such as group policy).

Yes you can run stuff on it, but quite frankly you're being a bit of a prat if you are.
What is that WXPF thing used for anyway? ATMs? Ticket-selling machines?
Or is it just an experimental community project?
Why wouldn't I wanna be running it? Less stuff in the background and from ground up is always easier and more gentle on the computer.
I did install the very latest DirectX, straight from the Windows Update.

I'm just requesting that LFS instead of whining "file not found" or "file not corresponding", it says "This OS is not supported" or "This client version is incompatible with LFS".

This being a LAPTOP upgrading stuff isn't really an option, 1.7ghz of centrino power and 2X1 PC3200 400mhz DDR-ram is the best I can do.

But this wasn't about me, about LFS, from a technical point of view is a bit basic when it comes to problems.
Quote from Poffter :Why wouldn't I wanna be running it? Less stuff in the background and from ground up is always easier and more gentle on the computer.

For the record, there are other, more common, options for running a cut down Windows installation. nLite is one such tool that will help you with this. There are also guides, from Microsoft themselves, that can walk you through which services and parts of Windows you can disable in a non-modified versions to slim it down, without causing compatibility issues.

Fundamentals wasn't designed for home users, it was designed for business, which is why it's only available under an SA agreement. To quote MS themselves:
Quote :Windows Fundamentals for Legacy PCs is not a general-purpose operating system. It is designed to work with the Microsoft Remote Desktop Connection client or third-party clients, such as Citrix ICA. In addition, it allows for a limited number of workloads to be executed locally, including security software, management software, terminal emulation software, document viewers, and the .NET Framework.

Meaning that it is specifically designed to allow older PCs to be used in a thin client (Terminal Services or ICA) environment, but with the managability of a domain (active directory).

I'm sure you can shoe horn it into doing what you want, but honestly, I'd rather go down the route of modifying a full XP installation media, if you want to play games.
#21 - Woz
Just use XP and then disable the services you do not require. These will then not load and you will have a lean mean fighting machine
XP services where a 'hot topic' years ago but it turned out that going as 'clean' as possible did free up some ram but did not increase system or game performance at all really. And these days you're bound to have at least 1gb of ram, making those lite versions of xp really quite pointless.

And if something no longer works after tweaking xp, who's at fault? LFS or the guy messin with 'teh windoze' ?
I'm having a similar problem. I can't run LFS on my Atari 2600. Devs, please fix it.

j/k of course

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG