The online racing simulator
Quote from mrodgers :I love how everyone is showing drift videos to show how "difficult" it is to drift. The only thing videos show is that cars can go sideways.

Plenty of race footage out there of racecars going sideways as well.

ah, not quite the same there mate, race car may get a bit of oversteer, but he doesnt hold it and link corners with it day in day out does he?

what do you want us to show to show how hard drift is? do u want me to show you how a Australian V8 supercar driver put a car into the wall the first time he tried drifting?

how about this, Tiff Needell, a formula one driver and someone who prides himself on his "drifts" during his show fifth gear.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCG0CjTvk4Q
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TvSMbetO4U

for a world class driver who powerslides cars every day for his job, took him a lot of runs just to be able to put a run together on a pretty low speed course in a top setup drift car.

fact is, you wont know how hard it is until u do it, and until u do dont talk shit about it, how about we see how you go against some of the top LFS drifters? if its so easy and your such a awesome racer, then you shouldnt have any issues beating them.
Quote from nisskid :fact is, you wont know how hard it is until u do it, and until u do dont talk shit about it, how about we see how you go against some of the top LFS drifters? if its so easy and your such a awesome racer, then you shouldnt have any issues beating them.

Wonderful example of the mentality of the "majority" drifting community. I say that all videos do is show how a car is capable of sliding and shows nothing about how difficult it is to drift.

From that simple statement, it becomes that I don't know how hard it is because I've never done it, I talk shit about it, and I've been challenged to go against the top LFS drifters. It seems that I also think that I'm an awesome racer because I make a comment about people showing videos of cars sliding to prove how difficult it is to drift.

In reality, what I am truly failing at is, following the logic of the statement I just quoted up there which is a response to the fact that videos don't show the difficulty of drifting.
Yeah face it Mike, you got pwnd. For shame. lol
Quote from mrodgers :Wonderful example of the mentality of the "majority" drifting community. I say that all videos do is show how a car is capable of sliding and shows nothing about how difficult it is to drift.

From that simple statement, it becomes that I don't know how hard it is because I've never done it, I talk shit about it, and I've been challenged to go against the top LFS drifters. It seems that I also think that I'm an awesome racer because I make a comment about people showing videos of cars sliding to prove how difficult it is to drift.

In reality, what I am truly failing at is, following the logic of the statement I just quoted up there which is a response to the fact that videos don't show the difficulty of drifting.

actually... a good example of a vid that shows behind the scenes of drifting is... drift bible...kinda
Although it's pretty stupid...
If you turn to the outside of the corner, then quickly turn in, and then apply too much ****ing throttle, you slide...

NO WAI!!!
Quote from dawesdust_12 :Although it's pretty stupid...
If you turn to the outside of the corner, then quickly turn in, and then apply too much ****ing throttle, you slide...

NO WAI!!!

you know you just end up doing a doughnut at the edge of the track if you do that, right?
Oh really... It's a common drifting maneuver, also rally too I think. Called a Scandinavian Flick.
Quote from nisskid :Tiff Needell, a formula one driver

He only had 1 start in F1, but in sports cars he was more succesful, driving in World Sportscar Championship many years and in 1990 Le Mans he achieved his best result being 3rd. So this classifies him a sports car driver, not F1 driver. Not nitpicking, just a history lesson.

Here's nice video btw:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=rBI37-TL1M8
Quote from mrodgers :Wonderful example of the mentality of the "majority" drifting community. I say that all videos do is show how a car is capable of sliding and shows nothing about how difficult it is to drift.

it was a general statement to anyone that questions how hard drift is, it only relates to you if you share that opinion. how you interpreted my post is up to you, but that wasn't my intention.

its hard for someone such as myself to swallow all the cocky bs surrounded by people who sit on their computers, race in a game and think they are somehow superior. drifters may have a following from a lot of people that share a very immature attitude, but at the same time you have to understand there is as significant proportion of racers which hold this cocky attitude where they think they are superior.

Some of the D1 drifters have been drifting and racing for many decades, just like I'm sure with someone in tuned with racing, who can notice subtle differences in technique and can tell the difference between a good driver and a not so great driver, same with drift, just because all you see is smoke and angle doesn't mean thats all there is to it. it is quite simple, if you do not properly see the skill involved in drifting then you are most likely simply not in tune with what it takes to drift and you will never truly appreciate the sport until you pull your heads out of the clouds and make the effort to truly understand the difficulty and art of drifting.

and yes, to anyone that shares this opinion that drift is easy, i would challenge them to try it, if they don't then what leg do they have to stand on to argue otherwise?
Quote from deggis :He only had 1 start in F1, but in sports cars he was more succesful, driving in World Sportscar Championship many years and in 1990 Le Mans he achieved his best result being 3rd. So this classifies him a sports car driver, not F1 driver. Not nitpicking, just a history lesson.

Here's nice video btw:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=rBI37-TL1M8

yeh i was aware of that, i just didn't really think anyone would care haha

EDIT: just had a watch of the vid, nice vid.
My main issue with drifting is that typical compeitions, like F1GP (Japan) or Formula D (USA) consist of only 3 or 4 turns and then the run is over. But then again, I sometimes watch drag racing where there are zero turns (at least not on purpose).
Quote from JeffR :My main issue with drifting is that typical compeitions, like F1GP (Japan) or Formula D (USA) consist of only 3 or 4 turns and then the run is over. But then again, I sometimes watch drag racing where there are zero turns (at least not on purpose).

and? when u go to see racing u only see 1 or 2 turns max from where ur sitting, these drifters get judged on these corners meaning they go full blown on these corners so for the spectators they get maximum entertainment.
Quote from Ikaponthus :

Drifting is not practical at all. It's forcing a car to do something it's not designed to do. Racing cars are designed to go fast around a track, they're not designed to slide sideways around a track.

why do you play lfs then?
computers were not originally designed for gaming...
Quote from Ikaponthus :Drifting is not practical at all. It's forcing a car to do something it's not designed to do. Racing cars are designed to go fast around a track, they're not designed to slide sideways around a track.

cars that come from the factory arnt designed to be pushed to the speeds they are with racing either, that is why you change them and make them go fast, drift cars get modified and tuned so that they are designed to go sideways, they arnt simply race cars that get drifted.
well, the thing is... people race cars for excitement not for practicality, if you want practicality, then no cars would be high powered... and everyone would be driving smart cars around town...hey, it gets u from point a to b, that's all you need!
Quote from frokki :Easy. It's a car that's modified to perform better in drifing. You could aswell ask what is a drag car, a race car, or ice-cream van.

And on topic, drifting is popular in LFS because it's fun and easy. You can just jump to any server or track with any RWD car and start drifting. No need to practise lines or tweak setups, no need to care what other people do.

That is so inaccurate its not even funny : \

I spent months perfecting my setup with different camber and toe adjustments, tire pressures and gear ratios. If its not cambered correctly when your sliding you dont make full contact with the wheel and you get less control.

Drifting is not easy either, sure you can slide it once or twice then you spin out and stall. Try taking near an entire course in a constant drift. You absolutely have to practice lines as well, you have to know where to enter, at what speed and at what angle so that you can maintain the slide in and out of the turn and then connect it with the next turn.

Sheesh : P people think its just floor it and turn the wheel and see what happens.
Quote from JeffR :My main issue with drifting is that typical compeitions, like F1GP (Japan) or Formula D (USA) consist of only 3 or 4 turns and then the run is over. But then again, I sometimes watch drag racing where there are zero turns (at least not on purpose).

Which makes it all the harder, you have to show them everything you got in 3-4 turns, meaning speed, style, angle, all in 4 turns.
Quote from m374llic4 :. Drifting is not easy either, sure you can slide it once or twice then you spin out and stall.

Sheesh : P people think its just floor it and turn the wheel and see what happens.

When was the last time you spinned on your own in LFS? If you have at least a bit of car control skills, you don't spin.

Maybe in real life (noticed that you own a driftable car) drifting is hard, setups matter and so on, but LFS is so forgiving that an experienced player really can just floor it and see what happens.
Quote from March Hare :
[*]Dorifto graphics plastered all over

KING HARE DECREES THAT NO CARS IN ANY MOTORSPORT ARE EVER TO BE PAINTED IN HIS KINGDOM!!
race cars are often painted pretty insanely too brostradamus
Quote from m374llic4 :That is so inaccurate its not even funny : \

I spent months perfecting my setup with different camber and toe adjustments, tire pressures and gear ratios. If its not cambered correctly when your sliding you dont make full contact with the wheel and you get less control.

Drifting is not easy either, sure you can slide it once or twice then you spin out and stall. Try taking near an entire course in a constant drift. You absolutely have to practice lines as well, you have to know where to enter, at what speed and at what angle so that you can maintain the slide in and out of the turn and then connect it with the next turn.

so true. just pushing out the rear is nothing, keeping speed up, controlling the rear end, linking corners, angle etc etc i could go on for ever about the different elements in drift that go into making a decent drifter, once again, unless you drift or follow drift you will never properly understand it and what is involved.

Quote from frokki :When was the last time you spinned on your own in LFS? If you have at least a bit of car control skills, you don't spin.

Maybe in real life (noticed that you own a driftable car) drifting is hard, setups matter and so on, but LFS is so forgiving that an experienced player really can just floor it and see what happens.

great, u can flick the rear out and make some smoke, congrats, that isnt all drift is about, u simply dont know enough about drift to understand what its really about, so in reality your opinion on the issue is useless.
nisskid: To me it is pretty simple. Every of those who criticize drift and say how easy it is should just post a replay of them doing a very close twin drift with someone on a long track or at least some very good replay. Otherwise what they say is absolutelly worthless.
Quote from kamkorPL :nisskid: To me it is pretty simple. Every of those who criticize drift and say how easy it is should just post a replay of them doing a very close twin drift with someone on a long track or at least some very good replay. Otherwise what they say is absolutelly worthless.

Doing a very close twin drift isn't something one can do without setting up the car or practising lines, nor something you find from average lfs drift server. But I should prolly shut up now, because I don't know enough about drifting.
And I'm not talking about average drifting in lfs. If you have the skill to do it, you should be able to control it easily in a twin drift or train drift. Based on what people say here, it should take max 5 minutes to master it.

Fact is, if you take it down to "nor something you find from average lfs drift server" then the thing is pretty obvious. Anyone can race slow after practice, just like anyone can drift averagely after practice. Don't compare the skill that it takes to race fast to the skill it takes to drift averagely. Compare it to the skill that you need to drift perfect in any situation.
Quote from frokki :Doing a very close twin drift isn't something one can do without setting up the car or practising lines, nor something you find from average lfs drift server. But I should prolly shut up now, because I don't know enough about drifting.

no you wouldnt, because they arnt skilled enough yet, because it doesnt take a few days to get to that level, just like you wouldnt expect to go into a race server and find top level drivers eveywhere either.
Quote from kamkorPL :And I'm not talking about average drifting in lfs. If you have the skill to do it, you should be able to control it easily in a twin drift or train drift. Based on what people say here, it should take max 5 minutes to master it.

Fact is, if you take it down to "nor something you find from average lfs drift server" then the thing is pretty obvious. Anyone can race slow after practice, just like anyone can drift averagely after practice. Don't compare the skill that it takes to race fast to the skill it takes to drift averagely. Compare it to the skill that you need to drift perfect in any situation.

exactly.
Quote from kamkorPL :Don't compare the skill that it takes to race fast to the skill it takes to drift averagely. Compare it to the skill that you need to drift perfect in any situation.

I stick to my point and will compare average drifting on average drift server to average racing on average race server, which of the first one takes 0 minutes to adapt (so you can go sideways through corners to be able to call it drifting) and latter one maybe 10 minutes. (So you can keep up with others to be able to call it racing).

Of course of higher levels of these both forms of motorsport requires higher skill level, but I never claimed it wouldn't :|
This thread is closed

What's the fascination with drifting!?
(354 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG