The online racing simulator
Formula BMW FAQ
(12 posts, started )
Formula BMW FAQ
I have a discussion with my team mates, and i don't think they're right. They say that FBM from LFS is not the same car as Formula BMW that curent F1 drivers drove in the begining of their carier, somehow that version had 400 hp? Isn't this the one and only Formula BMW that was created 2001 and remain practically the same to this day, is FBM the same car that Nico Rosberg drove in 2002? Do you have to lift off the throttle in every Formula BMW car, or are there some different versions of it?
#2 - J@tko
Quote from Boris Lozac :I have a discussion with my team mates, and i don't think they're right. They say that FBM from LFS is not the same car as Formula BMW that curent F1 drivers drove in the begining of their carier, somehow that version had 400 hp? Isn't this the one and only Formula BMW that was created 2001 and remain practically the same to this day, is FBM the same car that Nico Rosberg drove in 2002? Do you have to lift off the throttle in every Formula BMW car, or are there some different versions of it?

Yes - it's been the same all it's life. Since 2002.

And yes, you do have to lift off the throttle as they all have the same sequential gearbox:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Formula_BMW
"The engine was sourced from BMW's motorcycle division: it is a near-standard K1200RS motorcycle engine, in an inline four-cylinder configuration, with a capacity of 1171cc, and a power output of 140hp"
Quote from J@tko :Yes - it's been the same all it's life. Since 2002.

And yes, you do have to lift off the throttle as they all have the same sequential gearbox:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Formula_BMW

Yea, i know, i've searched it all and everywhere i see the same specs as the FBM car from LFS, but this guy won't accept it..
#5 - ajp71
Quote from Boris Lozac :Do you have to lift off the throttle in every Formula BMW car, or are there some different versions of it?

This years car will have an ignition cut system to allow liftless shifts, all the current cars do not have this though (including LFS).
Quote from ajp71 :This years car will have an ignition cut system to allow liftless shifts, all the current cars do not have this though (including LFS).

Ok, thanks for the info..
Formula BMW has always used the same chassis in its short history - the FB02. I think small tweaks have been made, but for this year (given the scrapping of the British and German championships and them becoming European and supporting F1, a decision I'll never understand) they are adding an ignition cut. I'm not sure why that isn't in LFS, but it's not my decision. Either is realistic.
#8 - samjh
Quote from duke_toaster :Formula BMW has always used the same chassis in its short history - the FB02. I think small tweaks have been made, but for this year (given the scrapping of the British and German championships and them becoming European and supporting F1, a decision I'll never understand) they are adding an ignition cut. I'm not sure why that isn't in LFS, but it's not my decision. Either is realistic.

The one in LFS is not true Formula BMW. It uses the same FB02 chassis and the engine. But they're calling the championship VF1, it is not official Formula BMW. Likely the VF1 cars don't incorporate the ignition-cut.
Your also missing a few other things in LFS.

-Realistic Tires...(only one available compound for a given series)
-Realistic setup options/restrictions(limits everything from dampers and springs to diff.'s and gear ratios)
-A "harder" rev. limiter, which can sometimes be used as a throttle cut in all gears, not just 1,2 and maybe 3 like in LFS.
-Realistic top speed, LFS seems to be just a bit low from what I've seen.
-Correct modeling of monoshock(not actually sure if it is modeled correctly, but the cars behavior and suspension settings and reactions to changes in those settings seem IMO not very monoshock like)

Otherwise it is exactly the same as the Formula BMW's you see in R/L. The car in LFS is a great car, but a few things would need to be changed for it to be realistically simulating a representation of the FB02.
Quote from samjh :The one in LFS is not true Formula BMW. It uses the same FB02 chassis and the engine. But they're calling the championship VF1, it is not official Formula BMW. Likely the VF1 cars don't incorporate the ignition-cut.

We've heard nothing about the V1 being a separate championship. From what I understand it is merely a competition with the prize being a drive in Formula BMW.
400 bhp??? No way!

If any Formula BMW car had that kind of power, they are probably thinking of some other formula car. F3000 are like 460-500bhp or something?

Champ Car Atlantics are 300bhp.

EDIT: And Formula V6 Asia are 370 bhp
Quote from ajp71 :We've heard nothing about the V1 being a separate championship. From what I understand it is merely a competition with the prize being a drive in Formula BMW.

Sorry, should have said V1, not VF1.

I must have misunderstood their material. I thought it was a breakaway championship based on Formula BMW, now that the UK doesn't have its own Formula BMW championship any more.

I do stand very much corrected.

Quote from KartRacer :Realistic top speed, LFS seems to be just a bit low from what I've seen.

True. LFS's representation of Formula BMW is about 10km/h slower than the real cars.

Formula BMW FAQ
(12 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG