The online racing simulator
WTH a understeering bike?
(12 posts, started )
I was driving my bisycle when i suddenly had to evedaa kid that ran on the street and my bike actualy understeers into the bushes

I thought a bike was insecetive to this phenomenon
and if it isn't how can this possilbly happend on bicycle?

Regards Chrisuu

(Oh and for whos wondering i am okay)
The front and rear end on a bicycle or motorbike can slide just like in a car. It's just something 99% of (motorcycle) riders want to avoid as the consequences can be a lot worse than in a car!
slippy surface on the front?
Yup, I've suffered understeer on a pushbike before (on a damp, off cambered road). My deserate wobbling managed to save it, and meant that (apart from flailing legs) my dad said it looked pretty impressive.
a single wet leaf on the ground is enough to create fatal understeer (under braking or cornering)... broke a bone in my hand once because of that
Quote from Flughafen :a single wet leaf on the ground is enough to create fatal understeer (under braking or cornering)... broke a bone in my hand once because of that

Not with understeer but beacaus some due rammed me

My knee came out of its joint
i have enternal scar on that place now the woond was realy big and deep to

now its the skin near the scar is stil all purple
I skidded off in the frost a few weeks ago from understeering. I turned one way, but the bike didn't.
Understeer on a bike, i.e. the front tyre losing grip is a VERY bad thing to happen on a bike, it's next to impossible to get it back.

Oversteer is a different matter, and can be either quite fun, or very painfull, depending on the circumstance.

This is the reason why, if you ever go into a corner way to hot, and you are in trouble, DO NOT hit the front brake, instead scrub off as much speed using the back brake as possible.

Obviously, the above relates to motorised bicycle's mostly
In the good old days of rigids and gravel you could slow down quicker by getting the front wheel sideways and locked before throwing it into a corner. ( I've still got the scars )
It all depended on balance and your front tire.
MT bikes are like all bikes and front end geometry plays a major part in handling, the steeper the rake, the quicker ( and twichier ) the steering.
With bikes tho the weight balance is also a major factor so you can get pretty much any handling depending on where your weight is.
My suggestion is just run the bugger over next time, you still get the pain from crashing but at least they get to suffer too.
Quote from Crashgate3 :I skidded off in the frost a few weeks ago from understeering. I turned one way, but the bike didn't.

I did that once and crashed into a lamppost.
Quote from danowat :Understeer on a bike, i.e. the front tyre losing grip is a VERY bad thing to happen on a bike, it's next to impossible to get it back.

Oversteer is a different matter, and can be either quite fun, or very painfull, depending on the circumstance.

I am pleased to say I haven't had much experience with either on a motorbike yet. I have had the front skip wide over a bump a few times, then catch again, which was ok, but not really lose grip other than that. And I haven't had the back end slide on me at all yet (apart from messing around on loose surfaces at very low speeds) and I'm fairly happy with leaving things like that for the time being Heck, I don't even really enjoy getting the front wheel off the ground yet! I'm ok with getting it up a bit but as soon as it gets higher than a foot I start getting uncomfortable... sorry, got a bit off topic there. But basically understeer and oversteer on a motorbike, not much fun for someone with limited experience like myself
I ran into the back of an Accord once when my brakes failed and there wasn't very much tire pressure. Understeer I think. The bike has 3200km on it and needs new brakepads. again!

(12 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG