The online racing simulator
Flipped car policy and safety car procedure
This post is a request to change the flipped car policy. I appreciate the hard work on the rally stage by the medical cars, but I don't think they should be used in the future.

In a 10 lap race, if you flip your car your race should be over. Finishing in last 2-3 laps down in the same as finishing last due to DNF. Due to LFS's bad crash physics, attempting to ram a flipped car can send that car (or the medical car) flying towards cars lapping the circuit. Also, it takes up too much time and too many laps (in such a short race) to attempt to get the car upright. Chances are the car will sustain even more damage from ramming making it undrivable anyway.

I'm not sure how all LFS leagues handle situations like this, but I just watched one of the recent replays from the IGTC series and I think they did a pretty good job handling this situation.

1) On lap 15, a car flipped in the last turn at blackwood. The flipped car did not chat when flipped.
2) The yellow flag was brought out and a message saying "Safety Car Deployed" was displayed
3) The pace car waited in a safe area by T1 for the leaders.
4) As the leaders approached, the pace car accelerated towards a safe speed
5) Although the pace car pulled out near the leaders some cars towards the back of the pack got caught up behind it and were allowed to pass.
6) The pace car maintained ~62mph and avoided using brakes at all costs. Pace car pushed in the clutch to maintain speed and coast down hills instead of braking. Braking was only used when necessary (such as T1).
7) When the pace car had lapped ~1/2 the circuit the flipped car was requested to spectate (the only chat message during this entire scenario).
8) Once the flipped car spectated, the pace car did one more lap around the circuit.
9) A red message was displayed reminding everyone that the safety car was in the next lap - and a reminder to hold a 2 car gap to avoid collisions which the drivers obeyed.
10) The pace car accelerated away towards the pits and the race leader set pace speed until the green flag was displayed. The leader held maintained the pace car speed of ~60mph.
#2 - J@tko
We (me & dekojester) see your point, and yes, good ideas.

From now on, under SC conditions, Medical Cars will rush AQAP to the scene of the accident, to ensure that a yellow flag is sparked. They will stay with the stranded car until RC/the medical cars authorise a spectation. The Medical Cars will then go back to their original positions and the SC will pit, and the field will be clear to go as normal.

SC periods will now be much shorter.
TBH, I can't see the point of recue and medical cars
The purpose of the rescue cars is initially to be the first eyes in trouble areas on course for accidents.

They should not attempt any sort of rescue flip if the queue is passing by.

The first car to respond should park a few meters downstream of the problem car, with enough of hte car on the tarmac to ensure that the game displays "Yellow Flag," especially if the car is not in a SC position. The Rescue car that is on the scene shall be the one to order the stranded car to telepit...delegation of Race Director responsibliitles. The telepit shall not be ordered until such time that a real-life version of the rescue would have taken. This should take no longer than 90s ever.

The SC will stay out until any cars on course and in the race are in queue behind it. The pits will be opened the first pass by of the SC.

d
#5 - J@tko
Quote from TAYLOR-MANIA :I guess they're learning a thing or two about running leagues/cups

Dead right

Quote from TAYLOR-MANIA :I'm sure you will, but could you please be sure that all of the rules are up to date and correct. Cheers.

There will be a major overhaul of the rules into one big list coming soon!

And we'll add this too.
Quote from TAYLOR-MANIA :Yeah I also questioned this after the last race.
It just looked really unprofessional the way the rescue cars were trying to get the flipped car...by going the wrong way & getting spectated, contacting with uninvolved cars, ramming the car & going flying up & out of the track! It was all a little bit weird I thought...
Again though, good to see the organisers are changing the rules & procedures for the better I guess they're learning a thing or two about running leagues/cups as are the drivers learning how to participate in a league.

I'm sure you will, but could you please be sure that all of the rules are up to date and correct in that One-Stop Shop thread. Cheers.

It looks professional when they do it right, as in park at the scene and not take excessive action.

Going counter-course is something that a Rescue car can only do with the Race Director's permission, and should be done slowly, and with caution.

If only LFS had a crane that someone could control !
#7 - TomMK
Quote from niall09 :TBH, I can't see the point of recue and medical cars

+1. If you flip, you're out. :chairfall
-
(hanzime) DELETED by J@tko : Erm yah hai?
-
(CSF) DELETED by J@tko : Erm yah hai?

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG