The online racing simulator
Laptop
(38 posts, started )
Cool, thats quite a good looking package, was it direct from acer may i ask? I find Acer's site confusing... hehe
shop acer did have it online, but cant find it there now

My house mate bought a newer model, and it runs good aswell.
I wanted a XPS dell notebook, but out of my budget.

Have a look around the net for my model, I bought mine and my house mates from a shop here in london.
I'm running LFS on a LapTop and my specs are:
Video Card:Mobile Intel 915GM/910GML Express Chipset Family
Procceser:1.73GHZ
Ram:504MB RAM

and i get about an average of 20FPS on the defualt settings hope this helps
thanks again to all who've helped, i'll continue to browse now with a little extra knowledge. The Very End + JackG feel free to discuss watever you were talking about now sure its interesting if i understood :P
I'm also running LFS on laptop, here are the specs:

Fujitsu Siemens Amilo Pa2510

- AMD Turion™ 64 X2 CPU
- ATI Radeon™ X1200 up to 256 MB shared VGA memory
- 1G RAM

I have average 50-60 FPS ingame
The specs seem fine. I have an Inspiron 1501 with AMD athlon64 x2 1.7 ghz, 2 gb ram, and ati radeon xpress 1150 graphics and I get about 35 fps. I think your system will get more than 50 fps.

If you have any spare cash I really suggest you don't get the 4-cell battery, it'll only give you about 1 hour. The 6-cell gives you about 2 hours, and the 9-cell gives you about 4 hours (that's the one I have and it's awsome).
I was using LFS on my laptop for a bit. I have an Intel Core 2 duo T7200 2.0ghz, 1 gig DDR2 RAM, and x1400 mobility. I spent about $1200 canadian on this laptop over a year ago. So roughly 600Nice 160gb hdd tho. Mines only 120. Cause I don't cheap out on computers (just got my desktop quad core up and running ) I'd upgrade to the t7250. Itll be much more powerful. Wait as long as you can to get the best deal possible. Also I agree with cobra, upgrade the battery too. Companies say this battery lasts sooo many hours. That's when you have the screen maximum dimm, only a text editor open, speakers off, and the idle process going.
if the looks dont matter too much you could look at laptops from the dell outlet ... ive been told the vostros with 9 cell batteries work for 6+ hours and have a reasonably quick 84gs which should cope fine with lfs
I'm not sure, but it might be possible to find some laptops with GeForce Go 7600 or ATI Radeon X1600 that would fit in your budget. (There might be some old models on the market that have these GPUs) I believe they are quite similar in performance as my GeForce Go 6800. With my laptop (17" 1440x900, 1 GB ram, 1,86GHz Pentium M) I get the following, with the high-res pack installed:
  • 60 FPS offline, 8X AA and 16X AF
  • 40-50 FPS online with up to 15 cars in view, 4X AA and 4X AF. This is what I use most of the time for up to 15 cars in a grid.
  • Down to 20 FPS with more than 20 cars in view (for example starting from back of the grid on full CTRA 1 server), 4X AA and 4X AF
  • 30-40 FPS with more than 20 cars in view, 2X AA and 2X AF.
In other words, more than decent.
#35 - Jakg
Quote from shiny_red_cobra :If you have any spare cash I really suggest you don't get the 4-cell battery, it'll only give you about 1 hour. The 6-cell gives you about 2 hours, and the 9-cell gives you about 4 hours (that's the one I have and it's awsome).

GF just bought a Dell Inspiron, its got the 9-cell battery and that thing is MONUMENTAL. 4 Hours on High Performance mode(!).

My laptop goes for just under an hour on the same settings

My laptop choice (which i use for School work, only at School) would be an Asus eee PC, though. Save the £320 for some SD cards and other stuff. Either that or a crap £300 laptop with a tweaked-to-hell OS.
I am new to LFS but because my old desktops would not run it I tried my Toshiba Satellite L305D, has AMD Dual-Core 2.0 GHz, laptop that I bought for business $500 at Best Buy. It runs it great! I am still demo racer (not for long) and I have run online with 12 other drivers in demo and had no major problems. I dont know if full version will be different, I hope not.
If this little bugger can do it, so can your laptop

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPtJDqeVmgM

EEEpc running LFS. 900mhz with a shared intel video chipset. This makes me want to hook my wheel up to my eeepc 701 just for shear goofiness

Laptop
(38 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG