The online racing simulator
PC shutting down - plz help
(13 posts, started )
I have a new XPS laptop for 2 months now. When I first got it, LFS was running fine.

Just 2 weeks ago, the PC started to shut down automatically while playing LFS. so, while im playing, maybe for 10 min (sometimes less, sometimes more) the PC just shuts down..

-It does nor happen when I play other games

-I updated my drivers, (i thought it could be from new drivers so I installed old ones but still it happened)

-I formated my PC and it still happened..

-I scan regularly for viruses, registry fixes and everything.

plz help...
Maybe the battery?
not using the battery.. connected to socket
#4 - wien
If it shuts down (not restarts, which would point to driver BSoDs) I'd say it's probably overheating. Maybe a fan isn't running or something? There's nothing LFS could be doing to shut down your computer, so it's probably a symptom of something else,
Are you using it on a hard surface? NEVER use a laptop on a bed for example!
you reminded me, sometimes it completely shuts down, and sometimes it just freezes and I have to force shut down..

I dont think its really heating.. I tried other games and works fine..
and I can hear the fan working..
-
(anasmak11) DELETED by anasmak11
Your PC has dust inside, open it and clean it, with that pressure thingy or what's it called, have had same problem before.
#8 - Woz
Quote from anasmak11 :you reminded me, sometimes it completely shuts down, and sometimes it just freezes and I have to force shut down..

I dont think its really heating.. I tried other games and works fine..
and I can hear the fan working..

It can be because LFS demands a LOT from the CPU. I need my laptop up on CD cases to get airflow or it does what you say in a few mins.

If you lappy has had some fair use you should get a can of compressed air and blast your laptop internals. Just poke the pipe through a slot and press then watch the cloud of dust come out. Mine overheats less when I have done that recently
I would also go with over heating, maybe get some software where you can monitor the temperatures of you computers hardware such as graphics cpu and such. Or straight after it happens boot it up quickly and go int othe bios to check temperatures . Quite recently I had alot of trouble with the computer restarting randomly mainly i ngames due to a bad memory stick. this causes it to randomly crash when it starts using that corrupted memory. Usually games trigger this alot due to their memory usage. You can download Memory check software or even just change the memory with any old/new ones just to test if it crashes wit hthat in.

ps thanks for reminding me to take that duff DDR2 memory back to scan :/
Next time you run LFS, start this program first and run it in the background. It'll create a text log of your CPU temperatures in whatever folder it's placed in (it's a small .exe file.) Just put it on your desktop. The next time your computer shuts down while playing, you'll have a log of the temperatures on your desktop as a .txt file, and you'll easily be able to see if it's an overheating issue - and that really sounds like what it is.
Attached files
Core Temp.rar - 72.7 KB - 126 views
thanx alot everyone,.. so im gonna try and check out the temperature...

one question.. is it possible that this is caused by lack of power supply?? my laptop is connected to an extension which is pretty long, with alot of stuff connected to it... could that be any problem?
Well, if it's not getting enough power, that could be the issue, but a laptop doesn't draw that much power to begin with, so I doubt that's what it is. Besides, the temperature thing is a lot more likely. LFS will pin your CPU constantly, and on a laptop - having good airflow during 100% CPU utilization for extended periods is extremely important.
#13 - JJ72
power is usually not the issue, but a laptop can easily overheat (especially if you had been using it on a bed, things got sucked inside the never get out), I grabbed one of those cooling pad with fans when I play in summer.

if you computer repeatly shut down, chance is it might permanently damage your motherboard, so give it a good clean up before any more LFS!

(13 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG