The online racing simulator
More car help!
(24 posts, started )
More car help!
Alright, help me out guys. Subaru will charge $70 for a stupid diagnostic - which in this case would involve listening to a noise. You all know those older cars with the loud power steering pump noises. Well, I've got that - except in a strange way (I think) because it only occurs when I'm revving the engine. So only, for example, when I'm accelerating and turning at an intersection. If I just coast around a turn - it doesn't make the noise. If I sit in a parking lot and turn the wheel, no noise. But if I rev the engine (in neutral) and turn the wheel - loud noise. It sounds almost the same as what I've heard other cars do (you know - like the sound an excavator makes when it's digging around.) I just find it odd that the noise only occurs when the engine is being revved - because the power steering is working all the time.

If anyone has any ideas as to what it is - please let me know. I was thinking the power steering belt - but, again, it's just odd that the noise only occurs under acceleration (unless that's how it always happens.) I've topped up the fluid, so that's not the issue. The sound just kind of appeared in a matter of minutes after more than an hours worth of driving around town without any problems. Thanks for the help!
It could be a numerous ammount of things, but the only ones i can think of without actually being there would be either the pump belt being loose or, if the belt is tensioned properly, then the veins in the pump could be gone. Check it all over properly, make sure everything is in working order, and if the problem still persists then you may as well just get a new pump set.
Yeah. The pump was actually replaced just 20,000 miles ago. Because the steering rack was leaking and the thing had been running dry, so it was shot to hell. Thing is, we decided not to replace the rack since he told us that, although we should replace it, it looked like it wasn't leaking that badly anymore because it was all gummed up. I top it off now and again, but it doesn't leak. Odd that it'd go after just 20,000...
Ah the steering rack...never thought of that. :rolleyes:

How much would it be for a new steering rack for your legacy? My brother had to replace his on his 95 WRX, and that set him back a fair ammount but to be fair, it was uprated and a little faster than the norm (13:1 afaik..). All i know is that in the UK, most subaru parts are damn expensive.

I cant think off too much that would cause a noise on the steering though, especially when the engine is revving.

What kind of noise is it? Squaling noise like a slippling belt or maybe a grinding noise?
I know it was more than we wanted to spend. It was likely more for you guys though. Someone on here the other day told me a base Legacy was $50,000. A decked out one over here doesn't quite make $40,000.

It's obviously difficult to describe a sound. The best I can relate it to is a cross between the sound an excavator makes - as I said, and the sound of a circular saw cutting something and getting slowed down. I'm not good at this stuff, but it sounds to be something that would have more to do with a motor than a belt. Like I said though, it's pretty much the same sound you hear when other cars make the sound.

I realize it's stupid to ask this on a forum, but anything to avoid a pointless $70 fee.
You could record the sound on a video or something.

But if your steering rack is gummed up then that won't help matters. The belt being too tight could also be causing the bearings to rumble (more audible at higher engine speeds I'd suppose).
#7 - Dac
sounds like its got a leak and air has gotten in it. air makes the pump make a silly noise.
common problems with most cars has it being hot recently?

check the belt is it tight?
How to check it because it will feel tight to u.
spray some Wd40 on the belt if it stops making the noise u know ur problem

take a photo for me of what the parts are that it connects to on ur engine so that i can think of all the possible things.

if there was air in the pump the steering would get heavy then light then heavy

when does this occur most cold, hot after long drive first thing in the morning?

and last think of the sound does it sound like some of the old buses like a loose belt or does it sound like a quick loud high pitched scream at certain RPM

i know u said its when u rev but where in the range of RPM?

and also do u have the Air con on ? could be that too

and lastly do you loose any performance on a normal drive? like power?
to check this get ur fav song on make it night have the high beams on pump up the volume and floor it, if you have power issues it should feel restricted or like there is something wrong and the alternator light will come on. also if u have the wd40 handy spray a bit around the pulleys.

oo and before i forget last check hows the brake pads? if its when u move could be them.

i haven't really worked on them cars but thats what i can think of send me a few pics and ill ask some of my mates and see if they know of any common problems they have delt with.

hope it helps mate BTW did you know that a not even a third of that money that u give the dealer goes to the mechanic?

when i started my apprenticeship i was paid 2.50pounds an hour the uk industrial minimum wage and we charged 55pounds an hour labor lol
Quote from Dooonster :common problems with most cars has it being hot recently?

check the belt is it tight?
How to check it because it will feel tight to u.
spray some Wd40 on the belt if it stops making the noise u know ur problem

take a photo for me of what the parts are that it connects to on ur engine so that i can think of all the possible things.

if there was air in the pump the steering would get heavy then light then heavy

when does this occur most cold, hot after long drive first thing in the morning?

and last think of the sound does it sound like some of the old buses like a loose belt or does it sound like a quick loud high pitched scream at certain RPM

i know u said its when u rev but where in the range of RPM?

and also do u have the Air con on ? could be that too

and lastly do you loose any performance on a normal drive? like power?
to check this get ur fav song on make it night have the high beams on pump up the volume and floor it, if you have power issues it should feel restricted or like there is something wrong and the alternator light will come on. also if u have the wd40 handy spray a bit around the pulleys.

oo and before i forget last check hows the brake pads? if its when u move could be them.

i haven't really worked on them cars but thats what i can think of send me a few pics and ill ask some of my mates and see if they know of any common problems they have delt with.

hope it helps mate BTW did you know that a not even a third of that money that u give the dealer goes to the mechanic?

when i started my apprenticeship i was paid 2.50pounds an hour the uk industrial minimum wage and we charged 55pounds an hour labor lol

Next chance I get, I'll see if my phone will record the noise. Thanks for all the ideas, but I'm fairly confident it isn't anything other than the pump or the belt. There are no other side effects other than the noise. I don't think the steering got any heavier when the noise occurred. What I can say is that the more gas I give, the louder it is. As soon as I turn the wheel, that's when it makes the sound. We just had an ice storm yesterday, but it's been a lot colder these past few weeks than it was yesterday, so I don't think the cold is the issue.

When it first cropped up, I topped off the power steering fluid thinking that might be the issue, and went driving around. After awhile the sound stopped, so I thought that may have fixed it, but then it came back again.

I was out driving yesterday. We went to a few stores, so there was lots of stopping and starting and I think at least an hours worth of driving involved before the noise appeared. I can say that the engine does not lose power, I did not have the aircon on, it's not an electrical issue - I think, because I wasn't having any other problems, and it's most definitely not the brakes.

Maybe it does have air - but the steering does not get heavy at all.

I'll take a vid next time I go out. Thanks again for the help.
#10 - Dac
the steering wont get much heavier with normal driving, in fact youd never notice it apart from the noise.

edit: open the cap and turn the wheel lock to lock and see if any air bubbles come out of it.
Quote from Dac :the steering wont get much heavier with normal driving, in fact youd never notice it apart from the noise.

edit: open the cap and turn the wheel lock to lock and see if any air bubbles come out of it.

I'll do that first thing with my friend next time I go out. How would air get in? Does that usually mean a leak, or that the pump is going bad or what?
#12 - Dac
Quote from Stang70Fastback :I'll do that first thing with my friend next time I go out. How would air get in? Does that usually mean a leak, or that the pump is going bad or what?

could be a perrished seal or a break in the system as you mentioned.
Well, went out today. It's a good 15 degrees warmer today - if that matters, and I didn't hear it at all. Turned the wheel, and no bubbles came out. Although last time I had been driving a lot longer before the noise appeared, so IDK. Will let it go and see what happens.
#14 - JTbo
So it does come only when you turn steering wheel with revving or is revving alone enough to make it?

Timing belt tensioner can do noises if just revving does it (ie without steering), also any of belts really.

One thing you could check is how tight powersteering pump belt is and is there any glazing that could slip and that could be source of sound.
New belt is not too expensive, I guess, but I don't know how possible it is to replace it as engine sits quite low and there is lot of stupid nonsense stuff on way, pun intended

I guess 70 is for one hour work, typical minimum here too (well 55-60 euros but we live in tax hell), surely we can find way to save that, if it does not require new parts and if you are willing to get your hands dirty that is
Quote from JTbo :So it does come only when you turn steering wheel with revving or is revving alone enough to make it?

Timing belt tensioner can do noises if just revving does it (ie without steering), also any of belts really.

One thing you could check is how tight powersteering pump belt is and is there any glazing that could slip and that could be source of sound.
New belt is not too expensive, I guess, but I don't know how possible it is to replace it as engine sits quite low and there is lot of stupid nonsense stuff on way, pun intended

I guess 70 is for one hour work, typical minimum here too (well 55-60 euros but we live in tax hell), surely we can find way to save that, if it does not require new parts and if you are willing to get your hands dirty that is

No, revving alone is not it. It makes the noise ONLY when revving WHEN I turn the wheel. To be honest, I don't even know where I'd look, and I'm not at all knowledgeable enough about the mechanics to start taking things apart. As for the $65 charge, I'd understand it if it was for even 15 minutes of work, but they will charge you just to plug into the ECU and read an engine code - which is what, 30 seconds? Ridiculous.

I'll just keep an ear out for it and see if it crops up again.
#16 - JTbo
Quote from Stang70Fastback :No, revving alone is not it. It makes the noise ONLY when revving WHEN I turn the wheel. To be honest, I don't even know where I'd look, and I'm not at all knowledgeable enough about the mechanics to start taking things apart. As for the $65 charge, I'd understand it if it was for even 15 minutes of work, but they will charge you just to plug into the ECU and read an engine code - which is what, 30 seconds? Ridiculous.

I'll just keep an ear out for it and see if it crops up again.

That computer read thing does absolutely nothing for that sound thing, it won't give you even slightest clue what it could be, so that would be wasted money, imo.

If you can find anything like here, then you are close
Push belt gently with thumb, around 10mm is ok if it gives more very easily it is then bit loose. Some more stuff that might interest
Lol - I was just saying what they'd charge. I'm not that clueless. Anyway - I thought you were talking about a belt for the power steering pump - not the overall belt on the front of the car. I'll check it out, but the belt was replaced 20,000 miles ago so it should be okay.

Actually, it has been squeaking lately. I tried spraying Prestone belt conditioner on it, but that make it screech like a banshee. A couple drops of silicone spray solves the problem - but only for a few days. I know there are no cracks in it at least, because I did look for that when it started squealing.
#18 - JTbo
Quote from Stang70Fastback :Lol - I was just saying what they'd charge. I'm not that clueless. Anyway - I thought you were talking about a belt for the power steering pump - not the overall belt on the front of the car. I'll check it out, but the belt was replaced 20,000 miles ago so it should be okay.

Actually, it has been squeaking lately. I tried spraying Prestone belt conditioner on it, but that make it screech like a banshee. A couple drops of silicone spray solves the problem - but only for a few days. I know there are no cracks in it at least, because I did look for that when it started squealing.

It could be there is perhaps need to check tensioner or adjust that, when belt and pulleys are ok and belt is tighten properly you should not need any other stuff to lubricate, silicone is something I don't put even near my cars
Quote from JTbo :It could be there is perhaps need to check tensioner or adjust that, when belt and pulleys are ok and belt is tighten properly you should not need any other stuff to lubricate, silicone is something I don't put even near my cars

Hmmm... I wonder then. The silicone spray works wonders on stuff like the rubber gaskets between doors. It lubricates the rubber. It's great stuff to spray on rubber hoses under the hook to keep them from drying up and cracking. I dunno whether theres anything bad about it, but it's always worked well for me on the belt. I guess if I ever bring the car in again I'll ask them to take a peek. There's no uneven wear as far as I can see, but I'll take a closer look tomorrow (as best as I can - most of the belt is pretty well obscured in my engine.)
check the wishbones if its when ur turning and reving could be a rubber gone within that hence making shitty noise

jack up the front at a good secure point run the engine and turn the wheel.

that would check that problem if its that it shouldent make a noise but it could it.

cant be a pretentioner as your not loosing any performance. CAMBELT ONE

so id say its somthing on them pumps mate

it does sound like a problem with the power steering tho as its only when u put some pressure on the power steering pump

without looking at it or driving it my self i cant help its hard to discribe all the things id look for

SORRY
Well, the steering problem hasn't cropped up lately, but I've got yet another question. The belt has been squeaking lately, so I brought it over th AutoZone and asked the guy what I could get to put on it. He said that all of those belt-squeal eliminator sprays were a sham, and asked me to pop the hood. He had me start it, and he said to turn on the air conditioning. Sure enough, that stopped it. He explained that the belt was a bit too tight, and that turning on the A/C activated the second belt, which put pressure on the pulley in the other direction, making the first one stop squealing. He pointed to a single bolt on top of the engine and told me I could adjust the tension with that.

I'm very tempted to do it myself - he told me I should have 3/4" of play over 12" (similar to what JTbo said.) However, I don't want to break anything. I just want to know, what the worst is that could happen if I loosen it too much and it slips? I know I have an interference engine, which will be destroyed if the timing belt breaks - but that's not THIS belt, this is the drive belt correct? Is the worst that happens that the alternator, for example, stops working? Or will the engine stall and my car explode? If it's not dangerous, I'll try loosening it little by little until it stops squealing. If I could break something, I'll find someone else to do it.

Maybe this was the issue with all the noise I was hearing and you guys were right. I just assumed it wasn't because the belt was recently replaced, and seemed to have the right tension. Plus everywhere I look they talk about screeching noises coming from LOOSE belts, and mine is certainly not loose. I'm reading over the posts now and someone else here said that if the belt was too tight, some WD-40 would shut it up for awhile, and that's exactly what happens with mine. I'm still convinced that the power steering problem was a separate issue, but either way, I need to address this one.
#22 - JTbo
Worse thing that could happen is that it starts squal when you start engine, then it is too loose Oh yes and alternator might not charge battery and powersteering might not work, but then it is so loose that it almost fells off.

Being too tight can destroy alternator bearings for example.
Alright - I won't make it so loose that it falls off, lol. I'm really hoping this is a solution that wont involve anything more than a slight almost un-noticeable adjustment. Is this something that I can adjust when the engine is running? That way I can wait until a day that it starts squealing, and turn the bolt until it stops?
#24 - JTbo
Quote from Stang70Fastback :Alright - I won't make it so loose that it falls off, lol. I'm really hoping this is a solution that wont involve anything more than a slight almost un-noticeable adjustment. Is this something that I can adjust when the engine is running? That way I can wait until a day that it starts squealing, and turn the bolt until it stops?

You should do it such way that your engine is not running, loosen bolt, adjust, tight bolt again, test if that is not too loose or tight.

Well in normal cars that is, Scoobie is always bit special

More car help!
(24 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG