The online racing simulator
sequential shifting
(18 posts, started )
sequential shifting
On my lunch I went home to try some stuff, and currently I'm not sure on what's correct to do or good practice. I drove the XRR using paddles on my G25. When shifting up I held the gas all down. I noticed little to no increase on the clutch temp. With downshifs i just braked and hit the downshift paddle accordingly. As a test, I did flat shifts in the FZR with the h gate, and I noticed the clutch temp going up.

So my question is, with sequential, should one lift off the gas pedal completely for an upshift, and blip the throttle a bit on downshifts? Thanks guys/girls.
XRR has a sequental box with ignition cut and it doesn't use clutch during shifts, while FZR has H-gate gearbox, so you'll have to care about shifts
Yeah, I use the shifting type with the cars gearbox. In my, car i have a sequential control that comes along with the automatic. Same thing as most autos have with the 1, 2, 3, D. However this is just easier to use. Timing lift offs with the throttle and up shifting and allows the car to shift quicker. So I was wondering if flatshifting with sequential in LFS will cause the temp to rise quicker or not.
Quote from agm_ultimatex :Yeah, I use the shifting type with the cars gearbox. In my, car i have a sequential control that comes along with the automatic. Same thing as most autos have with the 1, 2, 3, D. However this is just easier to use. Timing lift offs with the throttle and up shifting and allows the car to shift quicker. So I was wondering if flatshifting with sequential in LFS will cause the temp to rise quicker or not.

As I said, XRR has sequental gearbox (its sequental, and it doesn't care what way of shifting in setting you use (player options: Sequental/Auto/H-pattern)) with ignition cut doing the "lift" of the throttle for you, therefore lifting your foot of accelerator is absolutly unneeded in XRR. In cars with sequental gearboxes without ignition cut (Only FBM, MRT AFAIK) the gear simply won't change under load (clutch isn't needed with such gearboxes unless taking off in 1st gear) so you have to lift the foot in them
#5 - J@tko
Quote from [RF]-art555 :As I said, XRR has sequental gearbox (its sequental, and it doesn't care what way of shifting in setting you use (player options: Sequental/Auto/H-pattern)) with ignition cut doing the "lift" of the throttle for you, therefore lifting your foot of accelerator is absolutly unneeded in XRR. In cars with sequental gearboxes without ignition cut (Only FBM, MRT AFAIK) the gear simply won't change under load (clutch isn't needed with such gearboxes unless taking off in 1st gear) so you have to lift the foot in them

However, in the FBM, you can shift up w/out lifting off from 1st to 2nd and sometimes 2nd to 3rd if you are on the limiter. I think that this is because there is so little power on the limiter that they can change. Probably wrong though!
Quote from J@tko :However, in the FBM, you can shift up w/out lifting off from 1st to 2nd and sometimes 2nd to 3rd if you are on the limiter. I think that this is because there is so little power on the limiter that they can change. Probably wrong though!

when you reach the limiter, it shuts the power for instance, therefore unloading the transmition as I mentioned
#7 - J@tko
Quote from [RF]-art555 :when you reach the limiter, it shuts the power for instance, therefore unloading the transmition as I mentioned

Ah. That's why it works sometimes and others doesn't.

Thanks
its the matter of timing
Quote from [RF]-art555 :As I said, XRR has sequental gearbox (its sequental, and it doesn't care what way of shifting in setting you use (player options: Sequental/Auto/H-pattern)) with ignition cut doing the "lift" of the throttle for you, therefore lifting your foot of accelerator is absolutly unneeded in XRR. In cars with sequental gearboxes without ignition cut (Only FBM, MRT AFAIK) the gear simply won't change under load (clutch isn't needed with such gearboxes unless taking off in 1st gear) so you have to lift the foot in them

Okay, that's what I thought, thanks for clarifying.
The fastest way to change gear with the FZR is to either use paddles with 10.0 button control rate and lifting the gas 1/100th or something AFTER you've pulled the paddle.
LFS doesn't need the clutch to disengage gears, only engage them. Something that is terribly wrong but maybe isn't the easiest to fix.

The other option is to use manual clutch and the H-gate on the G25; accelerate, disengage gear, clutch + engage next gear, clutch up and throttle down so that there is less than 10% (appro.) clutch left when the throttle is fully engaged.

Having a really low button control rate makes you really slow, I managed to do almost 5 times quicker shifts fully manual(with h-gate) than paddles + auto clutch at 3.20 BCR.
#11 - Osco
Quote from [RF]-art555 :when you reach the limiter, it shuts the power for instance, therefore unloading the transmition as I mentioned

one thing I noticed that the FBM will change gear while flooring it if you hit a bump in the road, you hold the gear change paddle and it shifts up without lifting at all
is this a bug?
hmm...never experienced this, in theory, when the driven wheels are in the air they rotate freely and the load on the transmition is reduced, so it might be enough unloading to shift. I don't know for sure
Quote from Osco :one thing I noticed that the FBM will change gear while flooring it if you hit a bump in the road, you hold the gear change paddle and it shifts up without lifting at all
is this a bug?

No, it actually tells us that it's working correctly...
Quote from Poffter :LFS doesn't need the clutch to disengage gears, only engage them. Something that is terribly wrong but maybe isn't the easiest to fix.

This is a deliberate choice, because you cannot force H-gate shifter users (G25) to actually stay in gear where a real car wouldn't allow you to move the stick. With the pre patch Y shift method (you needed the clutch to disengage), a G25 user was able to preselect the next gear with his shifter and then in a split second have a perfect gear change by just stabbing the clutch pedal.
Quote from AndroidXP :This is a deliberate choice, because you cannot force H-gate shifter users (G25) to actually stay in gear where a real car wouldn't allow you to move the stick. With the pre patch Y shift method (you needed the clutch to disengage), a G25 user was able to preselect the next gear with his shifter and then in a split second have a perfect gear change by just stabbing the clutch pedal.

Yep i did that sometimes, but i love the real feel. Hence why I use it with cars such as the FZR
Quote from [RF]-art555 :XRR has a sequental box with ignition cut and it doesn't use clutch during shifts, while FZR has H-gate gearbox, so you'll have to care about shifts

This may be a "noob" question, but how do you know the technical specifications of the cars in LFS? Are they posted somewhere? I had no idea the XRR was actually designed as a sequential shifted car - although it doesn't surprise me - and that the FZR is in fact a H-shifted car, which does surprise me a bit.

I haven't been able to play LFS for 3 months (and won't be able to play it for quite some more) so I'm completely out of the loop here concerning patch Y.
#17 - Woz
Quote from obsolum :This may be a "noob" question, but how do you know the technical specifications of the cars in LFS? Are they posted somewhere? I had no idea the XRR was actually designed as a sequential shifted car - although it doesn't surprise me - and that the FZR is in fact a H-shifted car, which does surprise me a bit.

I haven't been able to play LFS for 3 months (and won't be able to play it for quite some more) so I'm completely out of the loop here concerning patch Y.

It was all part of the Y patch when the Seq gearboxes came in. You soon learn which is which when you start shifting
You can also see the gearbox type in the info tab when you're in the garage screen.

sequential shifting
(18 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG