The online racing simulator
Automatic gears.....slower car???
(26 posts, started )
#1 - CHEPS
Automatic gears.....slower car???
I have an R/C controller, and i cant change gears manually, does it affect the racing time?
Yes Automatic shifting can be slower. It has slightly slower shift times, and also it acts funny when braking and downshifting. Normally if you have manual gearing, you can master braking and gear selection a lot better, to make you faster overall.

Try to use manual somehow, but if you can only use Automatic, oh well
Tweaker speaks truth-

with manual gears you can use them to aid the braking giving shorter brake distances and also get the best gear for accelerating, aiding power away from a corner and also helping with the cars turning ability if it is rwd and your driving style is suited.
i have put a section about this. I think we should have a fully auto box, where it features kickdown.

I would love a game which could do this, your going nice and slow, place your foot down and into the high revs!!!

It would be great fun when we have brake fading (or any)

Marsden1002
#5 - ajp71
An automatic gearbox will never normally (short of several million pounds worth of electronic F1 wizardry) be quicker than a manual box as they offer a longer change, change up earlier and most importantly you loose on the fineness in car control.
^there are a few cars out now where the manual gearbox is actually slower than the automatic around the track and on the quarter mile.
The new IS250 Auto, is only .3 seconds slower away from the line.

I think auto's are becoming as fast as manuals, due to tech advancing on them
the fact is your unlikely to get the level of satisfaction you get with manual, with auto
there was one car recently review on best motoring internationall. it was either the new gti or maybe the meganne. one of them had a considerably faster automatic transmission than the manual. even on the quarter mile the manual was slower.
Mate, you will never in LFS get close to the fast guys using an Auto Box. The control just isn't there. Try getting used to the mouse/KB method and using a manual box. It might take some getting used to but if you want to be fast, you will need too.
Automatic cars are boring.
#12 - FRED
Quote from Gabkicks :there was one car recently review on best motoring internationall. it was either the new gti or maybe the meganne. one of them had a considerably faster automatic transmission than the manual. even on the quarter mile the manual was slower.

thats the new Volkswagen Golf with DSG (Direct Shift Gearbox)
^ yeah thx thats it. the dsg system was faster than manual.
DSG is not an automatic gearbox.

It's readying the next gear to enable a quicker change, all very complicated but they are very highly rated.
when i went from auto shifting to manual i took about a second of my lap times straight away.

its also more fun
Yes, manual is the way to go (at least in games).. for now. Sometimes when I just want to cruise around I will use a auto tho..
Manual gears are an absolute requirement for racing imo. Deciding yourself what gear you're in and when you shift plays a big role in keeping the car balanced through a lap.

I get almost as pissed of from auto gears than from the ISI physics engine
#18 - FRED
Quote from ajp71 :DSG is not an automatic gearbox.

It's readying the next gear to enable a quicker change, all very complicated but they are very highly rated.

maybe but it is included in the Automatic version of the new Golf and IS faster than its manual counterpart
people just love to share the wrong information
Quote from Gabkicks :^there are a few cars out now where the manual gearbox is actually slower than the automatic around the track and on the quarter mile.

Not if the automatic is actually an automatic, and not a computer shifted manual box.
meh if you arent manually shifting, then its an automatic. infact i think either Hattori or Keiichi described the auto tranny of the new GTi as "an automatic with a clutch". you dont have to do anywhere near as much work as with a manual tranny so it counts as an automatic.

it is okay for technology to advance and make life easier for us you know its not always an evil thing we should abhor.
Quote from Gabkicks :meh if you arent manually shifting, then its an automatic. infact i think either Hattori or Keiichi described the auto tranny of the new GTi as "an automatic with a clutch". you dont have to do anywhere near as much work as with a manual tranny so it counts as an automatic.

it is okay for technology to advance and make life easier for us you know its not always an evil thing we should abhor.

Technologies like DSG are referred to by the SAE and professionals as AMTs, or automated manual transmissions.

An automatic transmission uses an internal mechanical design of various sort to shift internally without intervention from shift rods hooked to humans or computers. Slushboxes have more and more intervention in their shifting process from the outside world, and in fact begin to look more and more like manual transmissions as time marches on.

SMG, DSG, etc are AMTs.

If you'd ever driven a AMT vehicle for any length of time, you'd understand they have limits. DSG is a phenomenal technology that sidesteps many of these limits, but not all of them. Nor is the consumer-ready form of DSG anywhere close to proven in continued high performance use.

Also, you make the contention that a AMT equipped vehicle can be quicker around a track than a MT counterpart. I've seen very little evidence of this being true in road cars. It is undoubtedly true in race designs where the AMTs can shift an order of magnitude faster than the street legal counterparts, but thats an entirely different kettle of fish.
in best motoring the golf gti automatic was quicker around a few tracks than the manual. i coulda sworn i said that before. :doh:
#24 - FRED
Quote from Gabkicks :in best motoring the golf gti automatic was quicker around a few tracks than the manual. i coulda sworn i said that before. :doh:

lol ive got the 1 your talkin about BMI - Volume 26 - Racing Bonanza
Quote from Funnybear :Mate, you will never in LFS get close to the fast guys using an Auto Box. The control just isn't there. Try getting used to the mouse/KB method and using a manual box. It might take some getting used to but if you want to be fast, you will need too.

Wheel damn you, wheel...illepall

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG