The online racing simulator
Cant get host to work!
(20 posts, started )
Cant get host to work!
Ok, this is temporary! but im running a host by the Start a new host thing! I connect and can race it but noone can connect! It says connectiong to host then sends them back!
maybe your connection isnt powerfull enough to let someone else connect to it? lol.
Im no pro but if it says that they tried to connect and they fail it probably means that its the connection.
At least they can see it O_O

I use to host dedi server but then randomly it stoped apearing in the list =/
Its werid like it says im connected to it! But noone else can connect! And it is on the main list!
#4 - sun
lol no no you have to portforward. i have the same problem. you have to open the ports so people can join and it can send data.
How do i do that?
i will
1. take a large hammer
2. force it through the air port on your router

problem solved, all the ports should be open now
firstly can you confirm that you are using a router and if so what make and model it is.

a bit of background for you...

basically when u are using a router u have 2 IP addresses. Your external IP provided by your isp and your internal LAN adress (i.e. the address of your computer - maybe something like 192.168.1.xxx). When you are using a server which is talking to the outside world people connecting to it will see your external IP (the one provided by your ISP) but this is not the IP of your PC. For the information to reach your PC your router needs to forward the data to your internal IP address. To do this you go into the routers settings and tell the router to forward traffic on the relevant port (i think the default is 63392 for LFS) and point it to the IP address of your computer. However the way this is achieved varies between router and it would be helpful to know what make/model your using.
I use a modem, not a router!
#10 - sun
sorry i dont know about modems... try opening them in windows firewall - Start > Settings > Control panel. and find windows firewall.
#11 - Jakg
Quote from the_angry_angel :

I also assume that you're going to be running the dedicated server. If this is not the case, you're only likely to need to read the following sections, as you can configure everything else in-game when you start the multiplayer game.
  • Firewalls
  • Port Forwarding / Home Routers
Dedicated Or "Full Client" Servers?
Theres a few key differences to using the dedicated server software and the full client. Primarily it's the minimum requirements for the system and what's packaged with it. The dedicated server doesn't have any of the game content, as such, and will just sit there serving requests consuming a minimal amount of diskspace. Theres little or no interface, depending on how you have it configured, which means you don't need a graphics card (configuring via a console connection works reasonably well on some OS').

So why would you use the dedicated server? Anywhere that you can't use the full LFS client, where you'd want to run a server for extended periods of time. For example, say you had a dedicated server in a datacentre and you wanted to run an LFS game server from that. The full client would be; resource consuming (disk space, and required management time), a waste of an unlock or an account. The dedicated server, on the other hand, would be ideal.

It says that he assumes that i am using dedi server, witch i am not!
Quote from greg_slideways :It says that he assumes that i am using dedi server, witch i am not!

Please re-read the first two sentences that you've quoted. Only this time read further than the first one.

Without wanting to be rude, there are potential "risks" involved in running a server, and some level of understanding (and it's only a little understanding) is required to get a server up and running. There are also a vast number of empty servers available. Do you really want to add to that? Do you need to add to that?
ah ok ok, but i still dont get the whole port fowarding thing though. My modem is a Webstar, Scientific atlantic is on it to, model dpx2203c then says series

p/n 4009684

and its using eithernet, not usb..

dont know what any of that means or if that helps hacker sif it does mods please delete this, but idk trying to give you info!
Ok.

Port forwarding is ONLY applicable if you're running some kind of NAT or PAT. You will find that confusing until I tell you that you'd only be doing this if one of the following is true (within reason, I'm not defining edge cases):
1. You have a home router (such as a Netgear DG834G, or a Linksys WRT54G)
2. You are connecting to another PC which itself is directly connected to the internet (i.e. a modem)

If you have a PC that connects directly to a modem, and you get a public IP address on your PC itself, then all you need to do is to open up the LFS server ports in any firewall that you may have. How you do this simply depends on the software you're running.

To tell if you have a public IP, you simply need to check the active network connections for anything not in any of the following ranges:
1. 10.0.0.0 - 10.255.255.255
2. 172.16.0.0 - 172.31.255.255
3. 192.168.0.0 - 192.168.255.255

If your PC does have one of these addresses, then one of the following is likely to be true:
1. Your ISP doesn't provide a public IP - in which case you are stuffed
2. You're actually fulfilling one of the requirements of port forwarding (listed above)
3. Your modem itself is using the public IP and is passing your PC a local address (acting as a very simple routing device) - consult your ISP and/or modem handbook to see if you can get around this. Usually you can't if they've done this

If you still don't get whats going on then you'll need someone who is reasonably technical to sit down with you and to explain it in person. Unfortunately some things are tricky to pick up from words alone.
Quote from hughesie89 :i will
1. take a large hammer
2. force it through the air port on your router

problem solved, all the ports should be open now

Hmm... That didnt work for some reason... My internet got cut after that for about a week until I bought a new one. Do you have any idea as to why this happened?

Im just joking btw im not that dumb :P

- Tea
I did the port fowarding ( i tryed to) not sure if i did it right was confussing! but when someone trys to enter you get
client connect : connect failed

Why it do that? and what i need to do?
I did that already! but didnt seem to do anything
Greg, can you draw us a picture of your network? I know that may sound stupid, but it might clear up some assumptions.

Something like this would do:

Internet <---> Your edge network device - Modem, router, etc. Let us know what make/model you are using.. <---> PC, etc. etc.

Cant get host to work!
(20 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG