The online racing simulator
VPS hosting: locations and prices
(30 posts, started )
I'd like to find a VPS hosting somewhere in Europe or US (in one that would have reasonable latency with Europe). Can anybody recommend any particular company?

One thing that is important is - no faxing or other paperwork for non-EU-US citizens, everything done online for everybody.

(Why I don't aim at 500servers is simpe: I need to run additional software, and 500servers do not provide a virtual machine).

I've found a company based in Georgia, US
http://www.vpsland.com/xlseries.html
and this hosting in UK
http://www.uk-vps.com

any opinions on these companies?
Maybe you should try the company i use

E: Removed link, Company no longer do Windows VPS
What config do you have and what do you run there?
500servers is also not a webhosting company, 500servers hosts lfs servers and sometimes provides webspace to clients.

Im not sure how many vps providers give access to the virtual machine, it sounds to me like you are looking for a dedicated box.

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=45

Webhostingtalk has always been my best starting point for finding vps services. Try there, otherwise google.
Quote from mkinnov8 :500servers is also not a webhosting company, 500servers hosts lfs servers and sometimes provides webspace to clients.

Im not sure how many vps providers give access to the virtual machine, it sounds to me like you are looking for a dedicated box.

Khm, you apparently don't know what you are talking about. By definition, virtual private server is a virtual machine, and that's what I'm searching for.
I use mine for MySql database, about 4 lfs servers and a few programs, they are very good money for what you get
Cool. Is there a way to know how much MHz you get in your VM?
Quote from detail :Cool. Is there a way to know how much MHz you get in your VM?

Sorry, i dont understand?
Well, AFAIK, virtual machine can be limited in CPU time. For example, you not more than 10% CPU for a particular VM. If the host hardware has 4GHz CPU, then 10% of it will be 400 MHz, and your virtual machine can't exceed that.
Quote from detail :Well, AFAIK, virtual machine can be limited in CPU time. For example, you not more than 10% CPU for a particular VM. If the host hardware has 4GHz CPU, then 10% of it will be 400 MHz, and your virtual machine can't exceed that.

Ahhhh, Well i belive that i have about 1000 Mhz although i could be wrong.
Well after finding out I dont know what im talking about, the will to helping you detail vanishes.

Regardless,
I use a VPS from Knownhost. Search for them. They are US based. I dont have console access, which is what I got the impression you required.

@ mcgas001, the company you said you used, do you get access to the "virtual machine" as detail puts in from his "definition" ? Is that access through a web-based control panel, or actual remote desktop access to the virtual machine?
I have virtuzzo for reboots, shut downs, monitering resources. I also have a remote desktop connection with window server 2003, just like im sitting at my home pc
Cheers, thank you for your helpful reply , might look into them myself, as that is a nice price for ws2003 access!
Quote from mkinnov8 :Cheers, thank you for your helpful reply , might look into them myself, as that is a nice price for ws2003 access!

Yeh, i have to admit, for what i pay i got a Great VPS, Need any more info p.m me or something
Quote from mkinnov8 :Well after finding out I dont know what im talking about, the will to helping you detail vanishes.

Sorry, but by what you've written I thought you confused vps and web hosting. The forum was useful, btw, thank you.
i use TekTonic's basic $15/mo package and run 8 LFS servers + my Insim system, Mysql, etc etc etc etc and it never bogs down at all... 500gb/mo bandwidth cap i believe too... more then enuf
Quote from mcgas001 :I use mine for MySql database, about 4 lfs servers and a few programs, they are very good money for what you get

According to their terms and conditions at http://www.cheapvps.co.uk/legal/terms you're not allowed to run "Game servers such as CounterStrike, Half Life 2 and similar [...] due to the amount of CPU resources they take".
Have you asked them if dedicated LFS servers are ok with them?

Edit: Asking out of curiosity since i'm concidering renting a vps from them
Quote from nikka :Have you asked them if dedicated LFS servers are ok with them?

Unlike most other games servers, LFS' dedi isn't all that CPU intensive, even when busy.

Honestly, if they haven't noticed or complained, then I wouldn't tell them.
I asked and they tested a LFS dedi server for me, they said that it is fine to run as its no where near as hungry as any of the other game servers
Hmyes, that's what I assumed, and that's why I ordered a vps from them even before I read your replies

Thanks for the tip, mcgas.
Quote from nikka :Hmyes, that's what I assumed, and that's why I ordered a vps from them even before I read your replies

Thanks for the tip, mcgas.

Np
So i want to do this too? do they set up the server for you or do you go there and set it up?
Quote from greg_slideways :So i want to do this too? do they set up the server for you or do you go there and set it up?

Its 100% setup for you!
So you tell the guy you want a dedi server and boom he sets it all up for you?
Quote from greg_slideways :So you tell the guy you want a dedi server and boom he sets it all up for you?

A dedicated windows or Linux server. Any software, i.e. a LFS server would need to be installed and configured yourself.

(30 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG