The online racing simulator
Network Printer - Outside Printing?
We have, at home, an HP Photosmart All-in-One printer with built-in WiFi that is connected to multiple computers over the wireless network. I know that the printer has it's own IP (i.e. 192.168.x.xxx) but that is only for within our network, obviously. Is it possible to print to this printer from outside of our network? Does this printer also get assigned a 'worldwide' IP to which you can connect from anywhere else? My dad wants to know because he just set up his Nokia phone to print wirelessly to the printer, and he wants to be able to print from his phone from anywhere else. I don't think it's possible without going through a computer that is WITHIN the home network, but I don't really know. Any ideas?
Quote from Stang70Fastback :I know that the printer has it's own IP (i.e. 192.168.x.xxx) but that is only for within our network, obviously. Is it possible to print to this printer from outside of our network? Does this printer also get assigned a 'worldwide' IP to which you can connect from anywhere else?

The printer has no public IP address assigned. It would be a bad idea if there's no form of authentication, and even then probably it wouldn't be a good idea.

The best thing would be setting up a Virtual Private Network (VPN), but this involves at least some work with a VPN capable router and/or installing software such as OpenVPN on a PC inside the network.
If you notice pictures of evo's comeing out of it thats me//////jk
I thaught there was an adapter which would allow to do this? Or Is this so you don't have to have a computer on to transfer the information to the printer through Your computer into the router, Then sending the information to the other computer linked to the network, which connects to the printer and prints your documents etc?

Im confused :S

Matty
I think you are talking about a print server. All that is is what our printer has built-in: the ability to connect to the network wirelessly as opposed to through an ethernet cable.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG