The online racing simulator

Poll : Should licence tests be used to unlock cars?

No.
Yes.
A big fat -1,000,000

Unlocking cars? That a feature for stupid arcade games, not simulations.

Thankfully Scawen makes LFS more sim like with every patch, so unlocking cars is something i don't think we will ever see.

As for server side options, that's a whole different thing. Servers can implement any system they like, i don't have a problem with that.
Voted yes. I think this would be good idea.

Quote from Gekkibi :
Voted yes, 'tho I dislike "Try to win AI without causing a collision" training, because it is more like "Try to win AI, but watch out". Instead, those tests should be like "controlling oversteer", "obeying flags", "coming out from a pit" or "proper braking".

And I would like to have some theory-lessons (text or record of how to do it etc) before actual test.

Yes, sound good. Somethin similar to Richard Burns rally would be nice. Not so long test's maybe..

Quote from Bob Smith :
Just as you can't go racing in real life without proving yourself competant, LFS should have some sort of idiot barrier for those servers who choose to adopt it.

That's true. You cant just go to track and start racing with 260Kmh. It would be good if servers can decide if they want to use it or not.
It seems some here are basing any ideas/opinions of this 'unlocking' on how the current Training lessons are.

If such a testing mode of gameplay was implemented in LFS, I am sure the training would be way more concise and more fun to do. I doubt very much that it would take WEEKS for someone to pass all tests... or let alone tests for cars they really want to drive. Though, I am sure there are lots of people out there that simply cannot drive worth a damn... and the testing is something they'd have to do to safely practice OFFLINE and then be well prepared to come online.

If the testing was implemented, I am sure anyone could pass at an Amateur level, and have the car unlocked. But there could still be the 'quick' and 'pro' goals other people wish to achieve.

I bet you that it would really only take about 5-10 minutes per car for an already experienced LFS player. That said, what are you so scared about? What makes it any different that you have to go do a test to drive a car? Sure... if you go and download the game the first time say... S2 Final is released, you'd have to go test, but so what, that's a new aspect of the game. And I've always said this time and time again... I'd do anything to have some new features (especially in gameplay) for LFS. And the training/testing aspect could be SO GOOD if Scawen gave it some time -- both aesthetically and visually.

Without such an unlocking system, LFS would yet again become barred of features, and the training lessons would just be for the people that 'think' they will benefit from driving in un-challenging situations.... or better yet, people that are bored and want to do nothing better than to earn 'nothing' for trying the lessons, if that makes any sense.
I agree with Bob's idea of the 'racer worthy' licensed servers vs the open servers to seperate the good from the bad.
I say no becuase i dont try the little tests, I would want a refund if this goes on i hate a game that forces you to unlock cars too arcady I would deff be mad as hell! sorry didnt read any posts just saying how i feel to first post!
Quote from greg_slideways :I say no becuase i dont try the little tests, I would want a refund if this goes on i hate a game that forces you to unlock cars too arcady I would deff be mad as hell! sorry didnt read any posts just saying how i feel to first post!

It seems that you haven't red EULA (Hint: 1.4)

That is in eula because it is impossible to please everyone if you make changes. For example, XRT out from the demo and Formula BMW put there instead. I liked that idea that there would be one one-seater in demo, but oh'la'la nearly everyone else angst about it.
If the test would be like driving school, let say just 3-4 tests for more powerful cars like: start, braking, slalom and overtake, I mean, that would take you not more than few minutes...and of course that should be added to your licence (to do it just once)
And blind AI is good because it makes you actually to care about car ur going to overtake, and THAT attitude neccesary for fair racing.
Someone said that if u cant pass learner for 1 lap, then online u would be moving chicane. I beat pro level like nothing, and still people online drive 3-4 secs faster laps, so........
Big NO.
Its pointless.If anyone feels the need to have a license (apart from the one in real life) CTRA would be really happy to host you i think.
I think that if you build your reputation and skills on a track with many other racers is still more fun.Im still finding quite hard to learn a decent number of tracks on FOX because i dont have much time (i can race mostly on weekends due to university) and i really want to enter a league.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG