The online racing simulator
Help! - An online issue
(12 posts, started )
#1 - J@tko
Help! - An online issue
Basically, I can't connect to any online server for more than about 10 seconds if at all.

Story:
Earlier, I was on [DR]Server 1 doing a bit of testing with some people from the LFSBC @ about 2 o'clock. My connection was lagging a bit - which was unusual as my connection (when it works) is usually fine.

Anyway, I came off the server to do some revision.

Later on, at about 4 ish, I decided to try and get further towards my Bronze on CTRA, so I went to Race 1. It loaded the track fine, then seemed to get 'stuck' on downloading skins - it kept coming up with Skin - timed out - <name>.
Then, I tried to resolve this by not downloading skins. Clicked the option, went back to CTRA 1, clicked GO. It got to In Race: 14, then jammed. I tried various servers, skins and no skins and it always got 'stuck' either on skins: ## or In Race: ##.

I got a bit fed up and decided to restart my PC. That worked, and I got on CTRA for a while, then I lost connection.

Once again, I tried all sorts of different servers, and I got on [DR] Server 1 again but it was so laggy that I couldn't see anyone racing.

I then tried CTRA again, Gentlefoot and Redline, but they all stopped on Skins: ## or In Race:## when I wasn't downloading skins.

Then, whenever I tried to connect, it stopped on 'Waiting for track info', whatever server I went on.

Any Ideas?

P.S I don't think that it's my internet, as it's fine on IE, although sometimes I do get random disconnects.
#2 - J@tko
Anyone? :bump:
I´m definitely not an expert in those things, but i´d say it IS your connection. have you had a look at the pings received in the servers list ingame? i´d guess those are higher then before the problem. also, don´t just try to connect to a server once, but at least 2 or 3 times, so your PC is definitely ready for the chosen server´s specifications.

maybe you can ping or better tracert well known internet adresses like ... yahoo, or the lfs master server. if it comes up with a high ping already before leaving your provider´s network, then i´d call the provider´s hotline immediately.
Connection Issues
Hi J@tko

Well, if it is your connection that is quite an easy thing to diagnose and improve upon if necessary, if you are using ADSL (I assume?)

Here is a simple guide to improving your connection inside you house.
http://www.dslzoneuk.net/socket.php

If you are using wireless, try to use a wired connection instead.

Check what speed your connection is capable of (and the ping) using this website
www.speedtest.net

Try replacing your ADSL filters.

Check the distance from your house to the telephone exchange using this website
http://www.samknows.com/broadband/
"Click on Exchange Search"

Also check the Noise level on your line (this is shown on most routers config page!), particularly if you are some distance from the exchange.

If all else fails, do a google search for your ISP to see if other people are experiencing similar problems..... It could be your ISP throttling ports at different times of the day for example.

I am by no means an expert on these matters, but I have suffered at the hands of 2 ISP's which caused similar problems to yourself and experienced some difficulty with my 'in-house' connections too

But after a lot of troubleshooting, and arguing with ISP;s etc... I now have quite a decent connection
#5 - J@tko
Thanks for your help guys

Quote from eimer_ :I´m definitely not an expert in those things, but i´d say it IS your connection. have you had a look at the pings received in the servers list ingame? i´d guess those are higher then before the problem. also, don´t just try to connect to a server once, but at least 2 or 3 times, so your PC is definitely ready for the chosen server´s specifications.

maybe you can ping or better tracert well known internet adresses like ... yahoo, or the lfs master server. if it comes up with a high ping already before leaving your provider´s network, then i´d call the provider´s hotline immediately.

My ping is fine. I can't connect to a server whether the ping is 20 or 200.

Quote from tongey :
you are using ADSL (I assume?)

Yep

Quote from tongey :Check what speed your connection is capable of (and the ping) using this website
www.speedtest.net

I got download speed of 1063 kb/s on my 2MB service.
My upload was 244 kb/s

Quote from tongey :
Try replacing your ADSL filters.

Um, what's that? I have no idea how a PC works and if it involves a screwdriver then it's a no go

Quote from tongey :
Check the distance from your house to the telephone exchange using this website
http://www.samknows.com/broadband/
"Click on Exchange Search"

It's the other end of my town - 500-750m?
(is that far?!)

Thanks for the advice.

P.S I've just tried it, and it works ATM.
I hope it stays like this - it might not, and if not, I'll say here!

P.S.S My ISP is Tiscali - so yes, it's rubbish for reliability.
#6 - CSU1

<?php 
OT
:

LOL --> j@tko robot 

:j@tko awakes every 48hrsZzzzOMG!!!!
?>

#7 - J@tko
Quote from CSU1 :

<?php 
OT
:

LOL --> j@tko robot 

:j@tko awakes every 48hrsZzzzOMG!!!!
?>

Yesterday = 14th.

So that's 24h
#8 - CSU1
@Jatko

OK the good news is that you are fairly close to your exchange (less then a mile, which is excellent ) and should mean that you have a fairly good line !

The bad news no 1 is that 1063 kb downstream on a 2mb line is NOT so good....and of course bad news no 2 is you are with Tiscali.

OK Something to check and report back... ADSL filters do not require screwdrivers !! - they are basically small white (mostly) boxes that plug into your main BT socket, then you plug your phone and router/modem into the other end !!

Make sure you are using one and if you have a spare try that one too - also check the other BT sockets around the house, do you have any? are they being used? try unplugging everything and just use the main socket on its own for a while..

PS Did I mention Tiscali already ? - Nah, seriously they are an OK provider, but certain times of the day they introduce their network shaping (shagging :razz systems which (IMO) can interfere with LFS.. and other gaming.

Glad its working OK at the moment, and I hope this can improve it further
Quote from tongey :Did I mention Tiscali already ? - Nah, seriously they are an OK provider

Tiscali are the spawn of Satan. Right down there with the worst ISP's in the land.

J@tko, If you can, just do yourself a favour and change providers.
Preferably to one of the Entanet resellers (UKFSN, ADSL24 etc.) who currently provide a top quality service, with no shaping/throttling and very generous allowances for the price. I don't know anyone that is with them that has a bad word to say about them.

They also have monthly contracts, so its very easy to get out if/when things do go tits up.
Quote from tongey :@Jatko

OK the good news is that you are fairly close to your exchange (less then a mile, which is excellent ) and should mean that you have a fairly good line !

The bad news no 1 is that 1063 kb downstream on a 2mb line is NOT so good....and of course bad news no 2 is you are with Tiscali.

OK Something to check and report back... ADSL filters do not require screwdrivers !! - they are basically small white (mostly) boxes that plug into your main BT socket, then you plug your phone and router/modem into the other end !!

Make sure you are using one and if you have a spare try that one too - also check the other BT sockets around the house, do you have any? are they being used? try unplugging everything and just use the main socket on its own for a while..

PS Did I mention Tiscali already ? - Nah, seriously they are an OK provider, but certain times of the day they introduce their network shaping (shagging :razz systems which (IMO) can interfere with LFS.. and other gaming.

Glad its working OK at the moment, and I hope this can improve it further

Cheers for all the advice. It stopped working mid-week, but is now working perfectly again .
Quote :they are basically small white (mostly) boxes that plug into your main BT socket, then you plug your phone and router/modem into the other end !!

That's what they're called!

I think we only have one anyway, so I can't change that.

On the subject of the issue, it was tiscali, as my aunt (who, incidentally, must live on top of the exchange in my town ) was haveing general issues too with Tiscali.

Quote from The Moose :Tiscali are the spawn of Satan. Right down there with the worst ISP's in the land.

J@tko, If you can, just do yourself a favour and change providers.
Preferably to one of the Entanet resellers (UKFSN, ADSL24 etc.) who currently provide a top quality service, with no shaping/throttling and very generous allowances for the price. I don't know anyone that is with them that has a bad word to say about them.

They also have monthly contracts, so its very easy to get out if/when things do go tits up.

My Dad is 'sorting out' (i.e 'looks' at it at work) some new broadband. Possibly Sky. Good or bad?

and it'll be wireless - but I can just plug the wireless router straight into my PC can't I?

Thanks for the advice guys!
Quote from J@tko :My Dad is 'sorting out' (i.e 'looks' at it at work) some new broadband. Possibly Sky. Good or bad?

and it'll be wireless - but I can just plug the wireless router straight into my PC can't I?

Sky...hmm, personally i wouldn't touch them with a bargepole. I've heard far to many bad things about them.
The fact of the matter is, when it comes to broadband , cheap is usually unreliable. At £19.99pm for 30gigs peak/300 off peak ,completely unshaped/unthrottled ,Entanet is the only way to go IMHO.

Wireless is a dodgy way to go for gaming. Very dodgy. Fine for normal internet use but poor for gaming.

You might want to check out this for an overview of Broadband suppliers. http://www.dslzoneuk.net/isp_ratings.php#

Help! - An online issue
(12 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG