The online racing simulator
FFB at a stand still
(14 posts, started )
FFB at a stand still
Does anybody find the diminishing force feedback while slowing down to a stop a little annoying?

This doesn't effect the feed back a racing or "normal driving" speeds, but at about slow 0-5 mph when coming to a stop or slowly accelerating it can be noticed. Usually (with no power steering) the wheels becomes harder to turn. With power steering the wheel force shouldn't go down to zero, it should have the same force that the power steering translates to the wheel from the front wheels. Should it not?

Or is it just an aid that keeps people from destroying their wheel if the forces are too high?
#2 - ajp71
FF wheels struggle to but any kind of resistance when they aren't acting directly against a force from the user, trying to do to small adjustments results in them shaking uncontrollably as they constantly send a force back and forth.
Ah, then the wheel would not actually get harder to turn, it would just start bouncing back and forth.
#4 - JTbo
Is there power steering?

Sometimes FFB however goes bit crazy when wheels are stopped as car is, but car masses are still moving, sometimes after such situation wheel keeps turning even it should not as car is stopped, but that is just minor issue.
I am not sure if there is power steering. the only way to tell is if the car is stopped. but the FFB has the opposite effect.

Maybe I should have put this in the other thread.
I have noticed that in the game DiRT (I know, terrible game) that there is a force feedback option for "Stick". This just makes the wheel harder to turn, with absolutely no bouncing. Mafia also has a "global stick volume" which does the same thing. I wonder how it works?
Leo Bodnar has written a 'parking lot' FFB plugin for rFactor which simulates the heavy steering when stopped and at very low speeds, so it's definitely possible to do with FFB and current wheels, without any oscillation.

I've also noticed that in both LFS and rFactor (with RealFeel) if you hold the brakes on whilst stationary the steering becomes heavier. In rFactor how much heavier the steering becomes depends on the scrub radius, possibly the same in LFS?
Quote from TechAde :Leo Bodnar has written a 'parking lot' FFB plugin for rFactor which simulates the heavy steering when stopped and at very low speeds, so it's definitely possible to do with FFB and current wheels, without any oscillation.

I've also noticed that in both LFS and rFactor (with RealFeel) if you hold the brakes on whilst stationary the steering becomes heavier. In rFactor how much heavier the steering becomes depends on the scrub radius, possibly the same in LFS?

That is because, when you turn the front wheels while stopped, in a real car and lfs, depending on the geometry, the inside wheel actually rolls backward in perspective, and he out side goes forward. So if you use the beaks while stopped the tires will want to resist the force. The tires have noting to do with that force in LFS is seams, I have tired this and the wheel always returns to the straight position, however, IRL the center of steer changes because of the scrub, so the wheel does not(and should not in LFS) return to straight.
Ive got a feeling that lfs only uses spring and position forces, to simulate 'stiffness', the 'damping' would be a more suitable effect.

Simon
I think for the sake of the equipment (my wheel) I'm glad it's the way it is. To have a decent level of feedback at speed the wheel would end up significantly heavier at walking pace. I wouldn't like to have to wrestle it about, it would just seem like excessive stress on the wheel for not much gain, so I'd probably end up turning the FF off or down every time I pulled out of the garage.
The force doesn't have to seem as though there were no power steering, just have some force on the wheel so it doesn't seem, empty.
The RWD car feel lifeless and dull feeling through the wheel
Quote from steve :The RWD car feel lifeless and dull feeling through the wheel

I disagree.. in fact I love how the rear wheel drive cars behave. But in my experience it depends a lot on what setup you're using. Some convey every little move to your hands, others don't.
Quote from steve :The RWD car feel lifeless and dull feeling through the wheel

Yes, it is very much setup oriented.

FFB at a stand still
(14 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG