The online racing simulator
#1 - Azk13
Does lfs uses special dog clutch?
I feels like it is....is it?
what do you mean? i dont understand ....
#3 - Azk13
In a real life car we always have to pay extra attention at the biting point when up shifting so that the car doesnt jerk. In Lfs, i realise if i release the clutch extremely fast the car doesnt jerk.
Quote from Azk13 :In Lfs, i realise if i release the clutch extremely fast the car doesnt jerk.

It's more noticeable in certain cars. Try shifting like that mid-corner in the LX6.
#5 - Azk13
Lol i realise im used to pressing the accelerator on the correct time so i dun see a jerk but when i do not press the accelerator and upshift and release my clutch there is a jerk haha. I think i get it. So there is no special dog clutch.
#6 - Woz
Quote from Azk13 :Lol i realise im used to pressing the accelerator on the correct time so i dun see a jerk but when i do not press the accelerator and upshift and release my clutch there is a jerk haha. I think i get it. So there is no special dog clutch.

You can shift just as fast IRL it is just IRL you feel the jerk more as you feel it through your body. If you connected LFS up to a platform like the 301 motion platform you would soon realise LFS is just a "jumpy" as IRL.

The far stiffer susspension most sets use will also mask the car body movement more.
I learnt today actually the fun of not shifting smoothly, I spilt coffee everywhere in my first trip in a Standard car (actually, first trip as a driver in general), and not letting out the clutch right when pulling off = stall or the jerkyest start ever, and starting uphill in second = epic stall fail . Was fun for my first car journey as a driver.
Quote from dawesdust_12 :I learnt today actually the fun of not shifting smoothly, I spilt coffee everywhere in my first trip in a Standard car (actually, first trip as a driver in general), and not letting out the clutch right when pulling off = stall or the jerkyest start ever, and starting uphill in second = epic stall fail . Was fun for my first car journey as a driver.

What the heck were you doing drinking coffee when you were trying to go out for your first drive? There are no points for style.
Be careful out there
It wasn't mine, it was my Mom coffee (required a supervisor who's 25+ and holds valid licence for first year of driving). It has changed my perspective on my shitty LFS driving style though atleast. (You cannot left foot brake, and heel+toe is a bad idea)

Atleast I didn't hit any shopping carts which were stray and in plentyful quantities, although I have the usual teenage symptom of paying attention to the bit of road that's 5 feet in front of you, rather than looking far ahead.
Actually, the car in LFS jerks you around quite strongly, it's just not a very visual effect. If you look at the G-meter (F9 menu) you'll see that for example in the XRT, when power shifting from 2nd to 3rd, you'll go for example from an acceleration of 0.33G down to -0.02G as you shift, then jerk up to 0.47G when you release the clutch until the revs match and you continue at 0.32G.

All this would be felt as a quite violent jerk in real life, but the car doesn't dive much or anything. When testing, I just noticed that the "1g head tilt" effect only works on vertical G load, so acceleration or deceleration won't tilt your head at all, which probably contributes to the illusion that the shifts in LFS are ultra smooth.
Quote from dawesdust_12 :It wasn't mine, it was my Mom coffee (required a supervisor who's 25+ and holds valid licence for first year of driving). It has changed my perspective on my shitty LFS driving style though atleast. (You cannot left foot brake, and heel+toe is a bad idea)

Atleast I didn't hit any shopping carts which were stray and in plentyful quantities, although I have the usual teenage symptom of paying attention to the bit of road that's 5 feet in front of you, rather than looking far ahead.

Don't forget to hit your "BLUE FLAG FFS!!!!!!!" macro when you get behind someone who's going too slow.
#12 - Woz
Quote from dawesdust_12 :It wasn't mine, it was my Mom coffee (required a supervisor who's 25+ and holds valid licence for first year of driving). It has changed my perspective on my shitty LFS driving style though atleast. (You cannot left foot brake, and heel+toe is a bad idea)

Left foot braking and heel-toe is fine but I would feel it better you learn more about car contol before you start to play with those techniques IRL

Just remember, IRL when you hit something SHIFT+P is not an option and you will be fine
And luckily, there are no jerks like some of the demo racers IRL... Oh, wait...
If you look far enough ahead, you'll see the ocean,,,,or maybe Duke's Point!
The jerk im talking abt is not the force of inertia but the jerk that consist of a foward and a backward jerk.
Quote from dawesdust_12 :. (You cannot left foot brake, and heel+toe is a bad idea)

although I have the usual teenage symptom of paying attention to the bit of road that's 5 feet in front of you, rather than looking far ahead.

LOL - left foot braking and heel and toe in your first driving lesson.

To left foot brake and heel and toe requires footwork like Bruce Foresyth but it can be done. The only person I've ever seen do it is a bloke called Andy Walsh and he's an ex F1 driver.

If you're in an auto then practice left foot braking. If you're in a manual, heel and toe but not both Maybe after you've passed your test too!

Not looking far enough down the road is a mistake that nearly all road users make and probably a lot of racing drivers too!

Bruce Forsyth:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkOMUE5Ji1M
I always heel & toe in my road car, sometimes left foot brake, rarely find the need to though. Good for practice.

@ OP: Do you mean paddle clutch?
That's the silly bits, left foot braking on my actual road test = death, so it's atleast in my interest to sorta kill my mind long enough to get my full licence, then I can come up with a ton of poor habits/creative methods for driving.
After learning to drive your real-life car, I strongly recommend reading this book:
http://www.drivinghandbook.co.uk/

It's British (written by Don Palmer, one of the top driving experts in the UK, tyre engineer, and former gate-keeper for the exclusive High Performance Club), but the concepts are applicable everywhere.

You've taken the first steps into a very dangerous world. Good luck.
So, it's not my fault if I drive on the left side of the road?

Sweet, I'll use that as my excuse to the cop why I'm on the wrong side.
So do you drive on the right?

My guess would have been left, like most former British colonies.
I do, which is fine. I dunno, for the amount that I've actually driven, I think I have a pretty good grasp on it all. Most of what I need is simply experience, having my parents let me drive on the odd trips to the mall, and home and stuff like that.
#23 - JCTK
Quote from dawesdust_12 :That's the silly bits, left foot braking on my actual road test = death, so it's atleast in my interest to sorta kill my mind long enough to get my full licence, then I can come up with a ton of poor habits/creative methods for driving.

sue them for discriminating your left foot~!
Quote from samjh :After learning to drive your real-life car, I strongly recommend reading this book:
http://www.drivinghandbook.co.uk/

It's British (written by Don Palmer, one of the top driving experts in the UK, tyre engineer, and former gate-keeper for the exclusive High Performance Club), but the concepts are applicable everywhere.

You've taken the first steps into a very dangerous world. Good luck.

Screw that, this is what you need:

http://books.google.co.uk/book ... d=one-book-with-thumbnail

Page 21 is what you need I think
Quote from southamptonfc :Screw that, this is what you need:

http://books.google.co.uk/book ... d=one-book-with-thumbnail

Page 21 is what you need I think

Definitely not!

Racing and road-driving should not be considered the same. Even simple stuff, like driving lines are very different.

There are some racing skills, such as observation, smoothness, and car control, that can be used for road-driving. However, everything else is very different. The attitude, mindset, and cognitive skills are very far from racing.

A lot of race drivers make horrific road-drivers with very unsafe habits. Rallying is actually more suited to road-driving, if you want to transfer skills.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG