The online racing simulator
Fuel mass effect on suspension frequencies
(57 posts, started )
Cool guys, thanks muchly!! Now I can make my setups still handle badly, but at least they'll be handle badly in the best possible way.
Quote from Bob Smith :OK going with XF GTi hard track setup:

frequency = 0.5 / ( PI * ( mass on spring / stiffness ) ^ 0.5 ) = 2.11 Hz

I'm sorry, but I tried to reproduce this formula on excel and the final result is everytime 0.0668 ... not 2.11

What i'm doing wrong?
Have you converted stiffness into N/m from kN/m (i.e. multiplied by 1000)? Other than that check for bracketing errors.
Quote from Bob Smith :Have you converted stiffness into N/m from kN/m (i.e. multiplied by 1000)? Other than that check for bracketing errors.

Yes I did... but it is not the problem... if you remove the PI from the equation you get 2.11 (and if you look at the formula used in the Suspension Analyser it is without PI)

I'm very confused...
The suspension analyser uses an incorrect formula for calculating frequencies. It uses "g" instead of "pi^2". By moving the pi^2 outside the brackets which gets squared root (^0.5), it simply becomes Pi.

Copy and paste this formula into Excel and tell me it does not give 2.11:
=0.5/(PI()*(283.8/50000)^0.5)

Sorry mate! thanks for helping out! now it works... me idiot
Quote from colcob :The rates given in LFS are all wheel rates as far as we know, so this shouldnt be an issue.

Apologies for dragging up an old thread, but what about the bump/rebound damping... are the values associated with the wheel or spring rate?

Just wondering if I'm underdamping if the damping settings relate to spring rate but I'm setting them based on wheel rate.

Fuel mass effect on suspension frequencies
(57 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG