The online racing simulator
Yellow flag penalties
(8 posts, started )
Yellow flag penalties
Little attention is currently being paid to Yellow Flags. By this, I mean that drivers continue to race full speed and pass each other which in a real race would result in a penalty.

I'd like to see LFS enforce the Yellow Flag. It'd be very difficult since LFS would need to allow for exceptions like passing the cars that caused the Yellow and passing in order to avoid a collision. My suggestion is to allow passing under Yellow if there is a significant speed differential between the two cars.

Also, the Yellow should remain in effect until all involved are either back up to something close to race speed or have pitted.
Enforcing it would be hard to do, unless it is coded in that passing a car that is under braking is OK. The thing is people would just slam on the brakes to get the person behind them penalised.

What would be a better idea, though is having single waved yellows and double waved yellows (MSA stuff - held and waved yellows), and a safety car.
Quote from duke_toaster :Enforcing it would be hard to do, unless it is coded in that passing a car that is under braking is OK. The thing is people would just slam on the brakes to get the person behind them penalised.

Yes, I'm speaking of a change to LFS itself.

Your analogy won't work since there is not a Yellow on the field. Or, if there is, then there is the bit about speed differential being an exception to the rule. There's a Yellow out and I'm ahead of you. Since you disagreed with my suggestion here I want to screw up your race so I slam on my breaks. You are faced with either hitting me or passing me.

If you pass me, then there would be a significant speed differential between our cars.

Perhaps, though, there also needs to be a certain "grace period" here. If you pass under Yellow you have X number of seconds to get back into your original race position. (Ain't that how it works in real racing?)
Quote from animal1313 :Yes, I'm speaking of a change to LFS itself.

Your analogy won't work since there is not a Yellow on the field. Or, if there is, then there is the bit about speed differential being an exception to the rule. There's a Yellow out and I'm ahead of you. Since you disagreed with my suggestion here I want to screw up your race so I slam on my breaks. You are faced with either hitting me or passing me.

If you pass me, then there would be a significant speed differential between our cars.

Perhaps, though, there also needs to be a certain "grace period" here. If you pass under Yellow you have X number of seconds to get back into your original race position. (Ain't that how it works in real racing?)

This thread is a bit old, but these two weeks I got involved with LFS I have exactly the same thoughts. Yellow flags should be treated as in real world, as in every league of auto racing.

If LFS applied yellow flag rules it would significantly improve the simulation feeling and quality during a race!
The same for me. I´ve been thinking why the driver penalties are not yet resolved in LFS. Overtaking with yellow flags and blue flags and crossing the exterior line at the end of boxes, it should have been done earlier. They are world racing common RULES.
In AIRIO are working in some things, but it´s still not reliable.
A game like Mini-Racing, which is a very simple old game, has those things; as well as dynamic rain(other story- harder to do).
Praying for the next patch to have this simple things that ensure the driver education. Thanks.
LFS already knows who is causing the yellow flags. And it could not be that hard, that if you pass someone you have 10 second to let him pass. If you don't do that you get a DT penalty.
A computer can't reliably determine if someone should be penalized for actions under yellow or blue flag. They are all very situational. You really need human judges to determine when a penalty should be given, that's what they have in real life.
During race starts, if everyone respected yellow flag things would be much better!

Yellow flag penalties
(8 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG