The online racing simulator
My first scene, need some help
(7 posts, started )
I just started renders so i thought, to put all the skills i learnt from tuts into one I'll start my first project. Voila i created a podium for IGTC. But i have a few problems...

1) I cant settle on good RGB vales for gold silver and Bronze
2) My reflections for the podiums aren't working right. The skins dont reflect, only the model. See the FZ5 reflection in the gold.
3) I have created some spotlights but when i add them to the scene and try to line them up the rotations detach the spots from the brackets so they look as if they are floating in the air. How can i add a hinge like device so they dont detach?
4) i plan on making a small animation but using the reflections from the scenes on morrow designs gives render times of 30-50 mins. Is there a quicker but still pleasing to the eye way of rendering so that i dont have to wait a month for each render to be completed?

Edit: I know the spotlights have no light shining out of them on this shot but i know how to fix that.

Thanks for any help.
Attached images
IGTC_Podium5.jpg
Not bad, m8.

1. Colored reflective materials can be daunting. Try adding a fresnel shader. It may not be realistic, but could give you some satisfying play on the surfaces without too much effort.

Ultimately, you would want to have something for the podium to reflect. Have a look at this: http://www.3dnuts.com/tutorial ... _gold_silver_copper.shtml

You see, the top half of the spheres looks dull - theres nothing to reflect, thats why.

2. same as above

3. I don't use 3DS Max, so can't say for sure - you might not be rotating what you are supposed to, or perhaps the pivot point (rotational point) have been offset?

4. Thats 3D in a nutshell :P You could, if supported by 3DS Max, only have the background reflected as opposed to raytraced reflections.

Also, if the Morrow reflections are using soft reflections, then you can speed up allot by using plan reflections.

Keep it up
Damn good that Ben for a first attempt

Just two things I noticed :

1. The Logo needs raising and resizing so you can see all of it as the lower wording is behind the cars.

2. the podiums IMO would look better as solid objects rather than coloured glass as they appear now

other than that as you said it's just lighting ect but I am sure you will suss that out mate

Looking good
They are actually solid, no transparency, probably got the reflections too high then, thanks guys. I will try different shader to see what it does

The problem with the logo is something else. I adjusted the UV maping to line it up but the logo texture has been tiled, so there very little room for adjustment or else it just pops up again on the sides. If i can somehow stop it from being tiled when i line it up then i'll move it up as my thoughts were exactly the same but i just got used to not being able to do anything about it.
you can stop it tiling by disable the tile check box on your material's bitmap setting.
Your background is too bright/white for the reflection. All it is reflecting is white in the background!
It's an indoor scene, and i dont know how to change the floor...
In that case, I suggest you take a step back and go though some of the basic tutorials - I know it's boring (just been through that XSI thingy.. so ya, I really know :P ), but it will help you allot in the long run.

(7 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG