The online racing simulator
More stunts-friendly options: Objects, check lines etc.
I have been greatly enjoying the racing, the competition, the handbrake-U turns and the ramps in the various StuntRacingServers generously hosted by SRC (IIRC).

The whole thing reminded me of an old favorite Amiga and PC game called 4D Sports Driving. If you google for it, you will find some cool stuff like tracks, layouts and replays.

I would really like to see LFS head into that direction too, apart from normal track racing, since the physics can really give it a lot of excitement. Of course, the most important thing for now is the physics improvements -- and I'm looking forward to them too ;-) -- but I just want to express my personal dreams for LFS.

So what would I specifically propose? Here's a list with things that I have come up with:

- Allow more objects to be placed in the track, raise the current limits.
- Allow more checkpoint lines to be added on demand.
- Make more objects available, such as:
- ramps that can be adjusted in dimensions (width, height and
- bumps such as the ones in the fast chicane of Kyoto GP.
- really crazy objects, such as a go-upside-down ramp, or objects that are essentially roads elevated to some strange angle.
- additional posts and signs that give directions to the drivers. Additional chalk arrows for the roads as well.
- Make the option to remove the "wrong way" message when such layouts are used.
- A way to make persistent high-scores, perhaps stored in the server itself, not in LFSW.

What do you think???
I think this is a great idea. Even though I really love racing in LFS, I enjoy "stunting" and other not-so-strict aspects as well. I don't think it's possible to increase the number of objects allowed. That appears to be hard coded into the game and not easily changed. However, if we had more objects the limit might not need to be changed anyway. For instance, if you want a ramp the full width of a car it will take you about 8+ ramps to do it. But if we had a ramp that was 8 times wider, it would only take a single object. Ditto for walls. Instead of making a curve out of 5 small walls it would be faster, easier, and use less objects to have a few different curves (ie: 30, 45, 90 degrees) pre-made in the editor, with a few different sizes available.

I know that there was a stunt type track in the really early betas of LFS because I've seen pics of it. I would love it if the devs would release this track, even if it wasn't textured. Something similar to the Hard Drivin' track of the 80's (jumps, loops, big berms) would be a ton of fun.
Ah Hard Drivin' Awesome game!!! The graphics were terrible, especially the cockpit and the blocky 3d graphics, but boy was it fun!! Thanks Cue-Ball for bringing back memories!

NaBUru38 - regarding the URL you just posted; are you aware of racer?

Anyway, I'd really like people to post ideas regarding objects that could be added in the game, other that the ones I've posted above. Even if that means that we will wait for S3...
LFS Racing Destruction kit! I like it
On this server in question, and all others with custom bits and bobs, if u clip a red/white barrier that is added your car kinda goes 1/2 into it then flies 100000000ft into the air. Surley wouldnt this be a simple fix of a texture mesh or something , (ps i dont know anything about textures and coding so sorry if im wrong )
:something
#6 - ajp71
The problem comes because the collision detection system runs at a slower refresh rate than the rest of the physics, this causes the problem of clipping when your car goes into another object and then the collision is detected, resulting in your car flying off. Not a simple fix without hurting performance and expirenced in different forms in a large number of sims.
4D Sports Driving, what a great game!!!

But I'm not sure upside-down ramps would work with LFS physics, you need some arcadish style (like trackmania) for doing those kind of tricks.

If the clipping-rocket "bug" was fixed, autocross/stunt racing would be much better.
I'd like to see a quarterpipe, maybe a rail.
In S-1 I could catch faky air and 50 50 grind the top of the cliff
on fern club in the MRT. It don't work too good now

anybody ever play Whiplash?
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
that be great stufff
"4D Sports Driving" is known as "Stunts" in pC version.
Here's the link for abandonware site where you can download the game legaly:
http://www.staregry.pl/?c=_rv&i=375#

Run the game with st.com not stunts.com!
Er, unless the publisher released it to the public domain it's not legal whether it's abandonware or not. Copyright lasts about 75 years and there's no chance that's been around for quite as long.

http://brasslantern.org/community/companies/warez-e.html

Good game though, was hooked waaay back then

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG