The online racing simulator
Render Problem-missing DEFAULT skins
(5 posts, started )
Whats up every1...i cant seem to find the DEFAULT skin 4 any car...whenever i import the cmx files into 3ds msx (6), i can actually see the default skin ON the car, but when I render the car, it disappears...so my question is:am I doin something wrong?
So I get something like what u can see on the attached pic...

Thx
Attached images
a.jpg
You've got a skin on the car, and that looks like a render to me, so I don't get it. You also have to assign each material in the Multi/Sub Object to define the car as well. The CMX import doesn't instantly know where the textures are.
Alright...my bad
Ill try 2 explain it in a different way...when I load ANY cmx file of a LFS car, i can see the default skin (i.e. the skin with all the headlights, window tint tec. pic_1) but when I render it, it disappears (pic_2)...Just before the rendering process starts, I get a message, that the deafult skin is missing (pic_3) but this is where i get lost...if it would b missing from my computer, how come I can see it inside of 3Ds max (pic_1)???

Ps...I tried searching for the deault skins inside the LFS folder, but cant locate them...
Attached images
pic_1.jpg
pic_2.jpg
pic_3.jpg
Ah, there is no default skin. What you see in Pic 1 is the basic material colours for the polygons. The windows are black, the lights are red/orange etc. But when you render it's putting the default materials on - in this case all white.

What you need to do is read Grudd's (sp?) tutorial. Open up the material editor and the material/map browser. In the browser, click scene (on the left) so you see a single entry (mtl xfg...blah blah). Drag this onto one of the blobs on the material editor, and select Instance when asked. Then close the browser (but not the editor).

Then, click on the blob you copied to. It will open with a list of materials 1 - ~20, each being for a different part of the car. You need to go through each material one by one and set the colours, the textures, the bump maps (if applicable), the shininess, the opacity etc etc. (There's other stuff too, but for now we'll stick to this and not sorting the wheels out).

The first time you do it it normally takes somewhere between 2 hours to 1 day to get your head around. I'd suggest that you set aside about 6 hours to work it all out, 3 if you follow Grudds Tutorial (see Master Skinnerz or dSRC forum, cos I know they're there).
Alrite...thx a lot...
I thought that there was somethin missing from my computer..and ill go check out the tut...
Thx

(5 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG