The online racing simulator
Vista and QuickTime
(22 posts, started )
Vista and QuickTime
Anyone know if there is a solution yet for getting QuickTime to run properly on Vista (32 home premium)? At the moment running a music vid or movie clip within itunes causes the whole system to clog up and sometimes I have to pull the plug and restart.
Please don't tell me to use some other software to watch videos on - I want to integrate with iTunes and the iPod video functionality, hence the question. Whenever I try to run Quicktime on its own outside of iTunes it says "Could not load or find the missing ActiveX control" and exits.
Is this a long standing and known issue with Vista and Quicktime?

Since I don't have a Vista machine handy at the moment to try it on - any mention of the error in the event log? Perhaps stating which ActiveX control it's missing.
no error log viewable. Vista and mac software have never got on well - it took a while for apple to take their bugs out of quicktime and itunes to run at all on vista. evidently there are still stability issues that my machine have picked up on.
Yeah, after a quick googling it seems like a case of badly ported software finally catching up. Currently I guess the only "easy" solution would be virtualization, but that's slightly overkill just for one app.
Hmm, I have no issues at all with QT in Vista.

What version of QT are you using?
The latest version fresh off the apple quicktime webpage. 7.1 I think it is, but I'm not sure of that as I'm not able to check atm.
Hm, I have 7.3, and I have no issues in Vista.

Upgrade time?
Has nothing to do with quicktime, the problem is iTunes, and yes upgrade to the latest version, running fine on my copy of vista (business x86)
How do you figure that one out? ref back to my opening post:
Whenever I try to run Quicktime on its own outside of iTunes it says "Could not load or find the missing ActiveX control" and exits.
You saying this has nothing to do with quicktime?
The latest quicktime I download from their web page last nigyht, is that likely to be an older version than the 7.3?
I don't think so.
Well, I dunno, mine says 7.3. Try going to Control Panel, Quicktime, then About, and it should tell you the version.

If It's outdated, go to the Update tab, and hit update.

EDIT: Speaking of which, mines outdated
latest is 7.3.1 -

sorry, I miss read your first post!

Download the laest version from the website, uninstall the existing version, restart computer, then reinstall the latest version
I know, but it's sorta messed, Apple Software Update doesn't find it, and I don't feel like installing it from the Apple website.
OK, shall we start again?
Let's assume that since i only installed quicktime yesterday evening from the apple site it is the current, newest 7.3.1 version.
Now let's go back to my first post.

Whenever I try to run Quicktime on its own outside of iTunes it says "Could not load or find the missing ActiveX control" and exits.

Anyone know if there is a solution yet for getting videos within iTunes to run properly on Vista (32 home premium)? At the moment running a music vid or movie clip within itunes causes the whole system to clog up and sometimes I have to pull the plug and restart.
Al, I found this that apparently cures it:

Quote :
Step 1: Download subinacl.msi from the link
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=23418 and install it.

Step 2: Download my modified version of reset.cmd from
http://gerger.com/o/assets/x/?id=22540 and save the file in 'C:\Program
Files\Windows Resource Kits\Tools'.

Step 3: Open Command Prompt as Administrator and type the following without
quotes (hit Enter):
'cd c:\program files\windows resource kits\tools'

Step 4: Now type 'reset.cmd' and hit Enter (without quotes)
You will see the Command Line Tool running for some seconds. The issue
should have been fixed and Quicktime should run again.

Enjoy!

From : http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=6150807 Nearing the bottom of the page

Hope this helps.

EDIT: Looking at the cmd, it's just fixing registry ****ups.
Beat me to it! Same info!
Aah, thanks Dusty, appreciate some useful assistance. I'll try this when I get home.
Al
I haffto win the most helpful award for 2008, just getting started early
If it works, I'll nominate you for the 2008 'Helpful Techie' award
Alright, starting it early. If you'd like, I can teach you how to overclock your laptop to 4.445 TERAHERTZ!
Well the Quicktime info solved the ActiveX problem with quicktime, but sadly it has not helped the ability to playback m4v movies downloaded thru iTunes - whether in Quicktime or within iTunes the videos freeze and cause a general seizing up of the desktop.
This is the wierd thing - if I move the movie (m4v format) onto a USB memory stick and run it from there, quicktime plays it no problem. So it must be something to do with the program not getting the data off the hard drive properly or fast enough.
What on earth is going on there?
That's really strange. Although there was something sorta similar at my school, playing a .mov/mp4 off of a Network drive doesn't work/throws up red cards, and it's ****ed, but copying it to the local system, it works beautifully.

Hmm, using hindsight, I also have had this problem with my portable HD when the lovely HFS+ filesystem was going dodgy, after fixing that (copying files elsewhere), they were fine.

If all else fail, Vista's fault.

Vista and QuickTime
(22 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG