The online racing simulator
going a different way on setup
(5 posts, started )
hi at moment im only on demo and have currently ammassed about 18 hours play over 3 weeks, 10 of which with a wheel (logitech)

after getting wheel i decided to settle down and sort out setup for the front wheel drive car so tried a few downloads, currently im down to about 1.35 and improving

but

i noticed that all these set ups tend to be firm or rock hard and very twitchy on curbs, when you over do it etc and it made me think there could be another way.

having recently left the motor trade i was aware that lotus always had the philosophy of making suspension soft and then tying it down rather than firm and then putting up with harsh ride.

so i took the setup i was using, softened springs off all the way, dampers almost fully soft, raised ride heights to stop it bottoming and then set antiroll bars very stiff

result?

lap times again in 1.35s but a very forgiving setup, clip kerbs, no problem, slide, no problem, in fact i can now run over kerbs very hard and not get any wheel skip / spin and its far less prone to rolling if you smack kerbs in chicane hard.

im sure its not as fast as firm setps but it is a very forgiving setup and does allow you a lot of freedom in a race when reacting to other cars

sorry cant make setup available but away from home at moment
#2 - Jakg
Quote from tinvek :hi at moment im only on demo and have currently ammassed about 18 hours play over 3 weeks, 10 of which with a wheel (logitech)

after getting wheel i decided to settle down and sort out setup for the front wheel drive car so tried a few downloads, currently im down to about 1.35 and improving

but

i noticed that all these set ups tend to be firm or rock hard and very twitchy on curbs, when you over do it etc and it made me think there could be another way.

having recently left the motor trade i was aware that lotus always had the philosophy of making suspension soft and then tying it down rather than firm and then putting up with harsh ride.

so i took the setup i was using, softened springs off all the way, dampers almost fully soft, raised ride heights to stop it bottoming and then set antiroll bars very stiff

result?

lap times again in 1.35s but a very forgiving setup, clip kerbs, no problem, slide, no problem, in fact i can now run over kerbs very hard and not get any wheel skip / spin and its far less prone to rolling if you smack kerbs in chicane hard.

im sure its not as fast as firm setps but it is a very forgiving setup and does allow you a lot of freedom in a race when reacting to other cars

sorry cant make setup available but away from home at moment

sounds like a good idea, if you put it up, ill d/l it!
a lot of the setups available for download are hotlap setups, designed for on the edge driving at a very fast pace. Most people create more forgiving race sets, I know I sure do. Being able to create a set that you're able to drive fast with, not destroy tyres, and drive consistently, is a very handy skill... keep at it
The downside to using very soft springs and stiff anti-roll bars is that your suspension will not be very independant. So bumps to the inside wheel during cornering will cause grip loss at both wheels, which could cause a loss of grip that wouldn't have otherwise happened.

Also for cars with downforce this would cause the ride height to change a lot with speed and therefore wheel camber.
or even worse, a body-set-to ground effect at high speeds.

(5 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG