The online racing simulator
Clutch Overheating
(114 posts, started )

Poll : Does the clutch pose problems for you?

No, I can shift perfectly fine.
I'm having a lot of trouble with it
Though I have yet to try all the cars, so far I've never seen the clutch temperature at more than one or two orange pixels unless I was deliberately trying to fry it- and even then it took quite a bit of doing. I'm using a clutch pedal and I have auto-clutch disabled.

Are the people that are having trouble left-foot-braking and using the brake and throttle simultaneously to balance the car in a corner? I could see that maybe causing problems- though I understand this is an accepted technique in the real world. Otherwise, I'm pretty stumped.

Love,
Aero
Quote from wien :Are you using auto-clutch or something, because otherwise I just don't see how you manage to burn the clutch? And if you are using auto-clutch, well duh! The auto-clutch will always step in to keep the engine from bogging down, and trying to do donuts in a low-power formula car with big fat slicks and a tall first gear has a tendency of making that happen.

Indeed, it is nearly impossible to do donuts in the FBM. I just tried with both a clutch pedal and auto clutch. The car simply does not have enough power to spin slicks. It is only 140 hp. I burned out the clutch in a matter of seconds with both the clutch pedal and autoclutch attempting donuts. Not because of anything with the clutch model, but surely because I could not keep the tires spinning with only 140 hp. A tall first gear doesn't supply the torque and a short first gear just revs to the limit way too fast to do burnouts or donuts.

Again, it is everything to do with the car, it's power, and the tires it is turning and nothing to do with the clutch. Just way too much grip for that low of power to spin them.
The clutch model itself might be alright but the clutch fry waaaaaaaaaaaay too easliy. The really bad part is though that I can shift 4-5 times faster using manual clutch than auto clutch but that brings up the problem with the fictional clutch being made of plastic.

Seriously, my friend, whom I live next too, drives his car like it's stolen and that clutch ain't slipping any more than two pieces of wood glued togheter with PL300.
I go in the car alot with him and full-throttle gear shifts (flatshifting?) is by no means hurting his engine and aren't exactly rare...
And letting the clutch up and engaging it with the throttle on doesn't make it go any worse, an absolut contradiction to LFS IMHO.

The car is an Opel (Vauxhall) Vectra B (-99) with a terrible 1.8 litre inline four and 5-speed gearbox.

PS: He drives like that because he really don't like the car so don't go ahead thinking he's a bad driver. DS.
I don't think you would need to do a donut in a low-powered formula car in real life anyway.
Quote from wheel4hummer :I don't think you would need to do a donut in a low-powered formula car in real life anyway.

However, its not about weather anyone needs to do it, but if it is posible to do it(I dont know if it is) IRL with out burrning the clutch, then it should be posible in LFS
A person should be ABLE to drive badly in LFS without having to pit every lap, IRL worst case; a bad driver needs to go change the clutch every 5000 kms and that is really bad. In lfs, if one drive that badly, they have to let it "cool down" after 5 kms...
Quote from Poffter :A person should be ABLE to drive badly in LFS without having to pit every lap, IRL worst case; a bad driver needs to go change the clutch every 5000 kms and that is really bad. In lfs, if one drive that badly, they have to let it "cool down" after 5 kms...

Oh for crying out loud. People driving badly in LFS go full throttle from green light to chequered flag, with a fairly slip-happy auto-clutch. I've NEVER seen anyone do anything even resembling that in real life. Can't you see the difference in aggressiveness between the two? I mean jeez.
duno what all the fuss is about tbh...

drive like a twonk you get a smoldering clutch, drive like ya should and you shouldnt have any problems...

ive tried in several cars to get the clutch hot in race conditions (alas offline) and i can only say ive failed , i had to park up against a wall, floor the throttle and hover the clutch half way just to break the ice off .... no offence but if your cooking you clutch in 10 laps you must be driving like caveman......
Quote from Poffter :A person should be ABLE to drive badly in LFS without having to pit every lap, IRL worst case; a bad driver needs to go change the clutch every 5000 kms and that is really bad. In lfs, if one drive that badly, they have to let it "cool down" after 5 kms...

I've seen a lot of bad drivers but I've never seen anyone try and pull away slipping the clutch at 4000rpm or try and 'flat shift' IRL
#110 - Woz

NO. Drive like a muppet and you race is over. Guess what, that is what it is like IRL.

LFS = Simulation, LFS != Game
i don't necesarely have a problem with it when shifting but i do consider that is a bit absurd. and now i am talking about the road cars in lfs compared to RL road cars. for example if u rev the engine lets say, between 3000-5000rpm and u slowly let go the clutch, it overheats in 3-5 sec. now, IRL thats not the case i really went and did that on my golf 3 and nothing no change at all. so... i dont know but i think its very sensible and not really practical (it is practical, i know the facts and arguements, but just not enough)
^^Go out and make a video of you slipping the clutch on a slow pull away at 5000rpm in your Golf and I'll believe you.
#113 - Woz
Quote from ajp71 :^^Go out and make a video of you slipping the clutch on a slow pull away at 5000rpm in your Golf and I'll believe you.

+1

Yep 3-5 seconds sliping the clutch at 5000 rpm would bring out that wonderful aroma of burnt clutch.

PLEASE PLEASE post the vid

I was being sarcastic just didnt add teh -->

Clutch Overheating
(114 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG