The online racing simulator
Creating setup with Bob's VHPA
(10 posts, started )
First, thank you Bob for this very great and for me best addons to LFS!

So, I've read your advanced setup guide - not every part of it TBH, but I will, I'm slowly learning bit-by-bit.
So, what interest me the most is the Suspension. And I fully use VHPA. I've created set for XRGT and XRT. Spring rates for both cars ~2.0Hz front, 0.10-0.15Hz lower for rear. And rebund set to 80% of critical damping, bump to 75% of rebound.
Anti-roll - I'm setting it to less then 1 ratio with springs. These your tips function really great, and are fast'n'fun to drive.

Also, I reduce ride height onto level equal to the spring deflection - at least that is how I understood the ride height setting up.
But when doing so, and loading into LFS - when dropping the car in the garage - SUSPENSION is bottoming, and I'm increasing ride height until there is no more bottoming.

And what really will look like question is:
Spring rate - you written in your Advanced setup guide that usual frequency for racing car which weights 1t is 2.0Hz, and it decreases for heavier cars.
Does this mean that "optimal" spring rate for LX4 (~500kg) would be 4.0Hz - are these changes LINEAR, or there is some function for them?

EDIT: PS. Merry Christmas to everyone!
The setup guide, like almost everything else I've done, really needs updating. There relationship between 'optimal' frequency and mass is debated, and only a guideline. There are situations where it is not very useful. And if the relationship is indeed linear, that does not mean the gradient is 1. I'm using about 2.6Hz for the LXs (IIRC, I'm not at my gaming PC). I think the 2Hz base it's a bit soft for racing in LFS, especially at the smoother tracks (i.e. not south city). Also having the rear frequency slightly higher and using the ARBs to keep the balance as wanted can bring benefits. The suspension analysis in VHPA is probably the most simplified part of it, I'm hoping to add a lot more in there over time. Wish I didn't have a bloody job sucking all my time. Man has to earn a living somehow though.

Back to the questions though, there really is no substitute to experimentation and testing, if VHPA is making the process more logical than trial and error than that's about as good as it gets. There is no wonder solution. Happy setup making.
Bob, what are your plans about updating your VHPA?
Will there just be an update to let your program run with patch y or do you want a make a complete new one with data that are new since patch y?
Your VHPA did help me a lot, sadly it doesn't work with patch y anymore. And I know what effort you take in presenting us such a great tool. I hope you find some time in updating your program....
Thxs a lot in advance....
#5 - Krayy
Quote from Bob Smith :The setup guide, like almost everything else I've done, really needs updating. There relationship between 'optimal' frequency and mass is debated, and only a guideline....

For us noobs at using VHPA Is it possible to update VHPA to have a slider for target frequency in Hz, tied to the ride height (spring length?)? Or is that too broad an area to tune by?

i.e. I could set a ride height of 160mm and a target Hz of 2.1 and choose hard or soft, and it could calculate spring and damper rates?

Also, with acceleration, is there any way that you can adjust the gear selection tab so that we could set a distance of the longest straight and get it to calculate the optimum gear ratios for max acceleration and top speed over that distance?
Krayy - I have plans for some automated suspension setup aids. I don't think I'll include them in the next release though as I want to get VHPA patch Y compliant ASAP. Something that needs a bit of thought if it is to actually be useful.

With acceleration in mind, that is not a reversible process, so it could only be done by intelligent trial and error. It possible but could well take 15 minutes or so to come up with the answers and I don't think it is that useful tbh.
#7 - Krayy
Good-o, and thanks for the taking the time to answer.

Great tool BTW. Very useful.
Quote from Bob Smith :The setup guide, like almost everything else I've done, really needs updating. There relationship between 'optimal' frequency and mass is debated, and only a guideline. There are situations where it is not very useful. And if the relationship is indeed linear, that does not mean the gradient is 1. I'm using about 2.6Hz for the LXs (IIRC, I'm not at my gaming PC). I think the 2Hz base it's a bit soft for racing in LFS, especially at the smoother tracks (i.e. not south city). Also having the rear frequency slightly higher and using the ARBs to keep the balance as wanted can bring benefits. The suspension analysis in VHPA is probably the most simplified part of it, I'm hoping to add a lot more in there over time. Wish I didn't have a bloody job sucking all my time. Man has to earn a living somehow though.

Back to the questions though, there really is no substitute to experimentation and testing, if VHPA is making the process more logical than trial and error than that's about as good as it gets. There is no wonder solution. Happy setup making.

Downforce is an important factor too. F1 cars need to start with relatively high numbers 5 or 6 hz, because of the downforce. This results in 2 or 3 Hz when driving. Does this work in Lfs too ?

The downforce/spring !?
Downforce does not reduce the spring frequency, in LFS or in real life.

F1 and other formula cars use very stiff springs to almost remove body pitch and roll, and use the tyres as progressive springs to maintain traction. Once you get light cars like that, I'm told the frequency becomes irrelevant and it's all about tyre control over the very small and fast bumps that circuits are covered in.
thanks
Maybe it's not the place for that, byt your tool makes me feel that i know what i'm doing while setting a car Very usefull program, thankyou very much for your work. can't wait for patch Y update. Peace!

(10 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG