The online racing simulator
Bring Back Digital Speedo!!
(193 posts, started )

Poll : I Prefer To Have An Option Of

Digital Speedo, Needle Type
Needle Type
Digital Speedo
No Speedo
Quote from M.Mos :ask the manufactures of racing grade dashboard components why they sell digital speedos if no one needs them

I'm really surprised at how many people don't realize this. Digital dashes are everywhere in even club level racing, and almost required in pro. Sure, it's more for the data logging and other features, but it still has a digital speedo too.

Also, what kind of argument is "I don't use it so I think it shouldn't exist and you shouldn't use it"? If one guy likes to use the tach, another the sounds, another the speedo, all of those things are available IRL, and have already been programmed into the game, then who cares?

And really, "the car didn't come with it, so it shouldn't have it" argument? Come on. Did it come with a rollcage, adjustable suspension and race tires from the factory? Honestly. Even a very restricted "spec" series focused on low-buck racing would allow a driver to add extra gauges.

Any club racer who prefers a digital speedo would be able to get one pretty easily IRL. Comfort of the driver is paramount, and if he wants some easy to read gauges, freakin mirrors all over the cockpit, lights to tell him what to do, and a cigarette lighter and cupholders, he could have them. If more information makes him more comfortable, then he can drive faster. Simple.

Sorry I'm late to the party. Great patch otherwise.
I was very disapointed when i saw that the digital speedo was gone but now i get used to the analogue speedo.

But, i realy think that the user should have the choice between the speedo since it don't give a sinificant advantage or disadvantage. A lot of other reasons has already been explained.
Quote from ecpreston :I'm really surprised at how many people don't realize this. Digital dashes are everywhere in even club level racing, and almost required in pro. Sure, it's more for the data logging and other features, but it still has a digital speedo too.

Also, what kind of argument is "I don't use it so I think it shouldn't exist and you shouldn't use it"? If one guy likes to use the tach, another the sounds, another the speedo, all of those things are available IRL, and have already been programmed into the game, then who cares?

And really, "the car didn't come with it, so it shouldn't have it" argument? Come on. Did it come with a rollcage, adjustable suspension and race tires from the factory? Honestly. Even a very restricted "spec" series focused on low-buck racing would allow a driver to add extra gauges.

Any club racer who prefers a digital speedo would be able to get one pretty easily IRL. Comfort of the driver is paramount, and if he wants some easy to read gauges, freakin mirrors all over the cockpit, lights to tell him what to do, and a cigarette lighter and cupholders, he could have them. If more information makes him more comfortable, then he can drive faster. Simple.

Sorry I'm late to the party. Great patch otherwise.

If there would be option for realistic sized version, then it would not be so much of issue, that would still direct people learn to drive and not to drive by speedo, it really is worth to learn as racing is so much more fun
Quote from The Very End :Good old times
Anyway, I like this new way we have to "feel" the speed, we canot just rely on speedomter, we have to feel the car, when it`s optimum and when it`s close to it`s limits.

Feel the speed in a simulator.
You got some new equipment ?
Quote from RudiTurbo :Feel the speed in a simulator.
You got some new equipment ?

How do you "feel" the speed in a car?
Whatever he's been smoking...

I want twice as much.
Quote from sinbad :How do you "feel" the speed in a car?

With my body, when the adrenaline starts gathering in my body, when the trees go past me really fast and then the G forces when I'm turning in
Quote from RudiTurbo :With my body, when the adrenaline starts gathering in my body, when the trees go past me really fast and then the G forces when I'm turning in

Ahh but g-forces only "tell" you when your body is accelerating, slowing or experiencing the lateral acceleration caused by cornering. The same level of forces could be experienced at 50mph or 150mph, and if you're driving at a constant speed you feel none of those things, so why doesn't 10mph feel like 200mph? And vibrations/bumping which you also feel with your body do not make you feel like you're going fast either, since again, you could feel the same thing at any speed and it doesn't make you feel like you're suddenly going faster than you are.

"When the trees go past me really fast" - how do you feel that? Perhaps you see them with your eyes? Just like in LFS?

Sight is the prime tool for judging solely speed, everything else is secondary.
Okay, about the digital/needle speedo, it is pretty simple.
If a car uses a needle speedo, and you where to use it on a race situation, like LFS or your local track day, you could easily buy a digital speedo and place it on your car. I believe that none of the oficial championships have any kind of rule that says that you cant use a second/digital speedo. It is that simple.

So i guess i would be nice to give us back the digital speedo, or add an option to ad a new gauge for digital speedo.

And like previously mentioned, i really, REALLY can't read the speed on the FBM, a pain specially in the pit area.
Quote from cbalbinot :
And like previously mentioned, i really, REALLY can't read the speed on the FBM, a pain specially in the pit area.

It is correct size, same as in real version.

If digital speedo will get come back, then it should be realistic size too, haven't seen 100mm tall numbers in any speedo, more like 20-30mm
But in reality the "screen" haha is MUCH bigger... I don't see a reason not to make something to help people reading in the usual 17" - 19" monitors..

Thats is definetly something that doesn't compromise the "reality" of the game.
Quote from JTbo :It is correct size, same as in real version.

yeah, I'm not really understanding this. The dash on screen, unless I'm playing on a 6 foot wide monitor, is not actual size. So why should we limit ourselves to reading scaled down gauges that are on the dash when the dash isn't the correct size either?

At least cbalbinot gets it!
How many more need to complain about this? After about 500 voters poll result is clear enough: two third want the digital speedo, at least as an option. So stop the ridiculous "realism" discussions and give us back the digitial speedo option.
Why? As of yet, I've seen no concrete argument as to how the digital speedo makes LFS better.
wheres the "I don't mind/whatever is most realistic" option?
Quote from sinbad :Ahh but g-forces only "tell" you when your body is accelerating, slowing or experiencing the lateral acceleration caused by cornering. The same level of forces could be experienced at 50mph or 150mph, and if you're driving at a constant speed you feel none of those things, so why doesn't 10mph feel like 200mph? And vibrations/bumping which you also feel with your body do not make you feel like you're going fast either, since again, you could feel the same thing at any speed and it doesn't make you feel like you're suddenly going faster than you are.

"When the trees go past me really fast" - how do you feel that? Perhaps you see them with your eyes? Just like in LFS?

Sight is the prime tool for judging solely speed, everything else is secondary.

Hmm I'm not so sure. As an example, a couple of years ago I was testing out my in-car camera system. I had a really nice lightweight bullet camera and a quality mount so the image was perfectly steady. Long story short, I wanted to make the test footage... err interesting! So I drove through some tight winding backroads like a mad man, near redline in 2nd and 3rd, at the edge of traction (on azenis) in just about every turn. I might have even been airborne over one section.

When I got home I found out my mic didn't record any audio. When I started the video I couldn't believe how incredibly slow it looked like I was going (much like LFS in any normal street car).

I attribute the false sense of speed to several things:
* The lack of sound
* The position of the camera (windshield mounted, so it can't see out the sides of the car - much like LFS for most users).
* The fact the camera was so steady
* The lack of vibration/g forces. In real life your body is being thrown around and pressed up against the door panels. Unless you have competition seats, you have to use your knees to brace yourself.
Quote from srdsprinter :Why? As of yet, I've seen no concrete argument as to how the digital speedo makes LFS better.

I guess I have to assume you're just trying to stir the pot!

But in case you're at all serious, I mean, I PERSONALLY don't see how having drag racing, or any of the cars I don't like, including any front wheel drive cars, or allowing this cruising stuff to go on, or allowing a 3rd person view camera, or having an oval track makes the game any better for ME either. But the devs decided to make those things, people like them, it doesn't hurt the game or my experience, so game on, the more the merrier!

What exactly was the "concrete argument" for getting rid of the digital speedo again?....
honestly, i want the option for digital speedo back.
it may not be completely accurate, but who cares.
on a 15" screen, the numbers are too small to read easily on an analog speedo.

i'm not blind or old either.

Bring Back Digital Speedo!!
(193 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG