The online racing simulator
What are you working on?
(36 posts, started )
#1 - Stuff
What are you working on?
With all the little mods out there and in development, I thought it would be a good idea for everyone to let everyone else know what they are working on. Mainly because it might be a shame for someone to develop an app and someone else releases almost the same thing a week or so earlier.. Rare but it could happen. Other advantages would be people could give ideas or advice to other developers on features, names or whatever comes to mind.

So! Here goes.. My current project is the next version of the Layout Thingy! Features will/should be opening up all autox layouts and the Blackwood car park for both viewing and editing. It will be GDI+, allow you to group objects into "object packs", distributing objects along a line or a curve, easy replacement of objects, etc.

What's your project?
Uh, my nooby self is still (still, because I lost all my work in a HD crash) writing a web GUI in PHP to configure LFS dedi servers.

It will be able to
-read configs from files
-write configs to files
-create new (blank) config files
-apply configs to online servers via InSim
-hopefully distinguish between different line endings
-authorise access to an existing config file using the file's admin pass
-authorise access to script with a password

It's for my uni final year project, so no matter if someone's already doing/done one, I'm going to finish it. Release to public is likely, but not an absolute (TBH I don't see the point of releasing it if it turns out my coding is as shit as usual ).

Also working on a client race tracker which will monitor, store, analyse and output (to file, LFS via InSim) splits, sectors, laps, time differences. It's in PHP (disadvantage), and probably won't ever see the daylight on anyone's system but mine. Unless someone asks for it, lol.

#3 - filur
A modular / plugin-driven "general purpose" insim daemon written in reasonably object-oriented php 5.

Features include a content distribution/update system, a sloppy GTK config editor and hopefully a good set of plugins and documentation.

Quote from NotAnIllusion :It's in PHP (disadvantage)

Really?
Yes. It needs the PHP interpreter and libraries on the 'puter to work doesn't it? Hence not "self-relient". Which could not be a good thing if it were aimed at people who'll ask you what play it's for, when you tell them it's a script

There is Phalanger which AFAIK will compile PHP scripts to native code to run under .NET but still sounds like the long way around, especially as I think it _needs_ the .NET framework installed to run..

But, enough of spam!
NotAnIllusion,

PHP is a GPL software. You can simply include it into your project, so people wont need to have php installed, the GTK would simply use the included PHP. This of course implies that you have to release a *nix and a windows version, but that should be the easier part of work.

EDIT:

I am currently working on a cup system for LfS Cups with an integrated replay parser and maybe some sort of webinterface for the LfS Servers in the admin interface.
Right now I'm not actively working on anything LFS orientated, although I do have a number of things I've got plans for, and I'd love to finish - one day. libLFSW for one, although the purpose for that was something along the lines of Browse for Speed, so it's fairly redudant now.

Unless it gets integrated into the LFS World mash up I've been thinking about doing; basically it would generate lots of pretty graphs and stuff measuring ratios of WR time changes, team growth, etc. and possibly link in some way to the forum, unofficially. Basically LFS World, but with some sillier stats

Shortly before the LFS scripting came out, I was working on an InSim client which would parse LUA scripts, registering for events and then firing off the relevant functions attached to each event. Again, the LFS scripting has made this rather redundant That said, there is plenty of scope for this, particularly in competition to LFS Lapper It could, for instance, generate the InSim "wiki" (previously mentioned in another thread) quite easily.

I'm always particularly keen on poking the client <-> server chatter to get a native linux dedicated server. Unfortunately this rarely extends beyond a quick few minutes of looking at an ethereal dump whilst I'm cooking a meal.

I've got quite a few other ideas out there at the moment, but I dont really have the time between all my other commitments to actually make them into real products
C# implementation of LFS TV, but only in my spare time, which is...not too much at the moment.
Pretty much a CMS in PHP built specifically for LFS leagues. (Progress is slow )
Quote from Leifde :Pretty much a CMS in PHP built specifically for LFS leagues. (Progress is slow )

Why not fork or produce a patch-set for an existing CMS?

As cool as some stuff is to do on your own, sometimes its just quicker to take the "Not Invented Here" route
Work will be starting shortly updating GRC into something... larger.

(fingers crossed, I find out Thursday if it gets accepted as my Uni project, meaning I can spend lots of time on it and NOT fail Uni - woo)
Quote from Bob Smith :Work will be starting shortly updating GRC into something... larger.

(fingers crossed, I find out Thursday if it gets accepted as my Uni project, meaning I can spend lots of time on it and NOT fail Uni - woo)

Sounds exciting Good luck with the proposal
#12 - SamH
At the moment I'm working on a few smaller projects, mostly with the UKCT team. On my list at the moment, are:-
  1. Skinning a web-based billing system
  2. Skinning an online radio broadcast system
  3. Skinning a webcam chat application
  4. Skinning a video media streaming system
  5. Designing a basic website
  6. Developing the Wrecker Barricade Gen II
  7. Designing several labels for sauce bottles
  8. Recreating transfers for pre-war toy train coaches
Apart from that, nothing really
Quote from the_angry_angel :Why not fork or produce a patch-set for an existing CMS?

As cool as some stuff is to do on your own, sometimes its just quicker to take the "Not Invented Here" route

I could do that I suppose. I'll see how I get on with starting from scratch
-
(CSU1) DELETED by CSU1 : gunn's being an asshole again
#15 - Gunn
Quote from CSU1 :I am working on asassinating my sys admin.shhhh don't tell anyone:eye-poppi
Edit: Phew I wrote assinating got it just in time lol

How about working on refraining from posting spam in the programmer's forum?
I'm still working hard on my immersion and stats tool LFSC. There's tons more to do, and as I see a new opportunity for some new feature I add it to the list and i'll keep on adding, basically my self brief is to create the most comprehensive client side application for a sim racing game yet. As LFS itself developes though I see LFSC's role changing as things become redundant.

The environmental sounds system is something I want to start making inroads into, i've talked about it long enough so that's on the cards to do soon, but the STCC does actually take up a lot of my evenings, and i've still not finished the stats to a state that i'm happy with them.
Quote from Bob Smith :Work will be starting shortly updating GRC into something... larger.

Accepted. Now the pain begins...
Cheers.

Does this mean I'm now getting a degree in LFS?
:bump:Bump this thread :bump:

and I agree, that it is a good idea to tell what we are working on.

LFS TV director:
a tool to allow a TV-like watching experience, useful to watch replays or allow broadcasters to make streams, that look like real TV coverage. Currently not intended for movie makers, but this could be considered if .... if I just would know what movie makers would require from such a tool.

Insim Gateway:
Bridge application between insim V3 and insim V4 to allow old and discontinued addons to work with Patch X and later.

Insim Monitor:
a tool to monitor insim traffic between addon and LFS (passiv mode) or to replace and simulate an addon (active mode). Packet coding and decoding, load and save log files. Useful for investigation or to learn behaviour of the insim interface, to find bugs in addon applications or even in the insim interface of LFS.
Status: started this project 2 days ago. Dunno if there already a monitor exists, a quick search did not showed any results.

Hopefully this thread will much more utilized in the future.

kind regards
Soeren
Quote from Bob Smith :Does this mean I'm now getting a degree in LFS?

Well it seems I got my degree in LFS. And here I am some 15 months later and I'm still working on the same program.
Quote from Soeren Scharf ::bump:Bump this thread :bump:

and I agree, that it is a good idea to tell what we are working on.

LFS TV director:
a tool to allow a TV-like watching experience, useful to watch replays or allow broadcasters to make streams, that look like real TV coverage. Currently not intended for movie makers, but this could be considered if .... if I just would know what movie makers would require from such a tool.

Insim Gateway:
Bridge application between insim V3 and insim V4 to allow old and discontinued addons to work with Patch X and later.

Insim Monitor:
a tool to monitor insim traffic between addon and LFS (passiv mode) or to replace and simulate an addon (active mode). Packet coding and decoding, load and save log files. Useful for investigation or to learn behaviour of the insim interface, to find bugs in addon applications or even in the insim interface of LFS.
Status: started this project 2 days ago. Dunno if there already a monitor exists, a quick search did not showed any results.

Hopefully this thread will much more utilized in the future.

kind regards
Soeren

I think you should have wrapped [plug] tags around that
It's kinda horrifying how much I've not gotten done since my last post in this thread.

Still quietly poking at the LFS netcode very couple of weeks and making some silly observations, but not much else. Stats thingy is kinda there, but missing huge chunks of functionality still

Ah funsies.

Quote from JO53PHS :I think you should have wrapped [plug] tags around that

I think you've missed the point of the thread

What are you working on?
(36 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG