The online racing simulator
curbs
(9 posts, started )
curbs
some of my setups hate curbs, and i'm trying to visualize (with no success so far) what is happening.

the problem is that when the inside front tire rides up on the curb, the outside rear loses grip and the car oversteers. this is in a setup that is pretty well balanced in most other circumstances.

i've tried various combinations of harder and softer springs and arbs, and nothing has made much of a difference. i have feeling that the problem is that under these circumstances more dynamic camber is being generated in the front than the rear, but i can't quite figure out what to change to even it out without screwing up the balance of the car in other conditions. any ideas?
i get a similar problem, but it's as my car comes off the curb i loose grip. The only thing i can imagine is happening is that as i turn off the curb the rear wheel looses any contact, thus grip and then when i land I'm sideways enough to burn up my rears.
Hit the curbs in the UFR and your dead.
Quote from evilgeek :some of my setups hate curbs, and i'm trying to visualize (with no success so far) what is happening.

the problem is that when the inside front tire rides up on the curb, the outside rear loses grip and the car oversteers. this is in a setup that is pretty well balanced in most other circumstances.

Are you sure the suspension is not bottoming out on you? When that happens it can snap to oversteer or other nuttiness real quick. What I usually do is increase the ride height on an adequately stiff suspension (based on freqs) and adjust camber accordingly so that it can easily do a kerb without going spastic, then just lower slowly until I find the lower limit and use arbs to limit the weight transfer if there is consecutive alternate side kerb-riding involved like a chicane.
Quote from JO53PHS :Hit the curbs in the UFR and your dead.

I've been running on the CTRA UFR-BR (?) server lately and haven't had any trouble hitting curbs in the UFR. I've run a couple of FE tracks and you just have to know which curbs you can hit and how to hit them.
#6 - Gunn
One problem with hitting curbs is that the car bounces up and the tyres lose traction for a split second as the weight shifts upwards. In a straight line this may not be so bad but while turning it can cause problems. One way to minimize this is to set a slightly higher rebound damping setting. This slows the rate at which the suspensions springs back. The "bounciness" or rebound is reduced and the tyre may also stay in touch with the surface for a longer period. Experimenting with both damper settings can help to produce a set that is more bump friendly.
Of course every part of any given circuit will be different than the rest of the circuit. As always, a compromise is required so that the car performs well enough across the whole track. But try some experimentation with dampers and other suspension settings to see if you can improve the car's performance over bumps and curbs.
Better contact with the surface should produce less wheel spin, resulting in better control, less tyre heating and wear, and improve the ability to get the power down efficiently.

Remember to backup your original set before you start your experimentation.
Quote :I've run a couple of FE tracks and you just have to know which curbs you can hit and how to hit them.

You know, FE curbs are divided in two, a soft part and a hard part. If you hit the soft part you won't loose any grip (or at least to me) but the hard part is really tricky
Still, most of the curbs kill your grip, first try a bit with throtle-control.... then start experimenting
Quote from xaotik :Are you sure the suspension is not bottoming out on you?

good call! that was exactly what was happening. 20mm more travel sorted me out completely.
I just usually barely hit the curbs :S

curbs
(9 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG