The online racing simulator
Quote from tweaK_05 :Yea, I was talking more GPU than CPU there

Ah, yeah. Without lots of fancy pixel shaders, there's not much else to worry about other then raw MHz
Quote from Ebiggs :Could you guys give me some tips on what I should do to up my fps? Starting in the rear on Blackwood with 12 cars (XR GT if it matters)I run like 10fps at 1280x768. I'd like to be at about 30fps in that situation at least. I know my computer is crap...AMD 1.2 CPU, 512MB RAM, ATI Radeon 9200 graphics card. I just bought the processor this month (it did have a 700Mhz. )

Are you just running default settings? If so, chances of you getting that many fps with that computer are slim to none. My second PC only gets 35ish there.
Quote from TravisS :Ah, yeah. Without lots of fancy pixel shaders, there's not much else to worry about other then raw MHz

mmm pixel shaders
Quote from tweaK_05 :mmm pixel shaders

Gotta love em. 3.0 (same card as you ...good stuff )
hey i don't know wat your smoking but you can pick up a ATI radeon 256Mb card from as little as $70 AUD or $40 second hand. i put a nice comp runing 90FPS on strait and 70+FPS Group Drifting wich ended up costing $800, just don't buy a brand comp just get the componets and a case!
Quote from 50-3 :hey i don't know wat your smoking but you can pick up a ATI radeon 256Mb card from as little as $70 AUD or $40 second hand. i put a nice comp runing 90FPS on strait and 70+FPS Group Drifting wich ended up costing $800, just don't buy a brand comp just get the componets and a case!

A 256 Mb card for $70 is a fake. Slow memory and slow card with a lot of empty space. The same type with 128 Mb costs $60 and you cant tell the difference. I have experience with the Ati 9600XT (S1) and now the nVidia 6600GT (S2). Both cards are good enough to present the top graphics in LFS.

Quote from mrodgers :I'm curious, bbman, do you gain any FPS by just reducing ingame graphics or changing down to a lower resolution? Like I said, I don't even if I minimize everything and drop to 800x600x16. Still the same 35-45 FPS.

Have a XP 64 3500+ (2200 mhz 1.3 nm version).

I use 1280 x 960 at 4AA and 8AF and got around 50 - 60 FPS. For LFS my configuration is very balanced. For shooters I could use a better card but in LFS my proc is in perfect harmony with the graphics card.
Quote from mrodgers :I here you. I wonder how an Athalon XP compares with a P4 then? Also, you have to take into concideration your bus speed compared to mine or the Celeron. Mine is only 533 MHz. The final thing is my 512 MB ram compared to your 768 MB and what speed is your ram. Again, mine is the slowest DDR ram at 266 MHz. So it's quite possible you surpass me in specs because of the more ram and the AMD 1800 being faster than a 2.5 P4? I don't know. I've just read everywhere that Athalon XP's are better than Pentium 4's, but don't know what speeds would be the equivelents to compare. I do know I get the same performace as my brother-in-law who runs an Athalon mobile XP 1600 with nVidia onboard 32 MB graphics on a laptop. He has faster ram, but the same amount, 512 MB. So, to me it sounds like your XP 1800 is better than my P4 2.5. Which also tells me that you would smoke the Celeron 2.8, which leads me to continue my opinion that the Celeron 2.8 is the problem and he won't gain performance in FPS by upgrading graphics from the 9250 to the 6600GT. I'm curious, bbman, do you gain any FPS by just reducing ingame graphics or changing down to a lower resolution? Like I said, I don't even if I minimize everything and drop to 800x600x16. Still the same 35-45 FPS.

TravisS explained my hardware pretty well, so there's nothing I could add to his explanations... Maybe, that my RAM runs with CL2...
I think I tried it once... But the increase wasn't that much to really justify the ugly graphics if I remember correctly... Also, my 45 FPS are due to my capping the frames to 44, so I can't really tell how fast it would go...

Quote from audimasta :Maybe this wasnt a big suprise, but my AGP-port is set to 4X. I can see this in the nVidia control centre.... I have been in the Bios and tried to find out where to change from 4X to 8X, but i cant find it. Is it a guide or something that i can read to find it? Do you guys think that this is the solution? Sorry i'm not that much into this...

With my ATI, I can adjust AGP port speed in the drivers, but I don't know it for nVidia's... Maybe there's an option or a slider (or somewhat else) in the drivers too...
Quote from B2B@300 :Goto this link http://support.gateway.com/support/default.asp and click on the find my serial# tell me what it finds... (of course with the gateway pc in question )

for the motherboard it has this listed
MSI Athlon motherboard - 1-GHz [Part #2512593]

Also im on windows ME so I couldn't try any of that with the IRQ. :/
Quote from WGooden : for the motherboard it has this listed
MSI Athlon motherboard - 1-GHz [Part #2512593]

Also im on windows ME so I couldn't try any of that with the IRQ. :/

Hi m8

Based on that here is a link from their support section for checking and updating the BIOS, at least have a look at the "How to install" link as that explains how to enter your BIOS setup screen and check what version you have if it is earlier than 0aavwp13 then updating it may help with your problem. Be careful and follow the instructions.

http://support.gateway.com/sup ... id=19164&uid=57338271

This is the WinME AGP driver for your motherboard also
http//support.gateway.com/supp ... 204.03d&uid=111917568

And a utility for viewing motherboard info in ME
http://support.gateway.com/sup ... 200AAVW&uid=111917570

Once you have updated the BIOS, unistall the fx 5500 drivers, rboot, then install the AGP driver (above), reboot, then reinstall the FX 5500 drivers again... hopefully it will work then

If it doesn't, then I think the only likely solution to getting your OS to reallocate resources correctly is to backup your data, format your hard drive and reinstall everything from scratch
Hey B2B, what happened to me???? You were helping me out!!!! Now you're blowing me off to help WGooden!!!!! His computer is at least booting!!!! Hehehe, just kidding, I'm just sucking it up and gonna buy a new one. Good luck with the gfx card WGooden .

Whoops, I get you and Modoff mixed up all the time. Had to change "Modoff" to "WGooden" up there, LOL .
lol, oz thanks Ill try that out.. appreciate all this work you're doing trying to help me get this sorted.

last night I tried taking out some stuff in the pci slots, and I also tried to see if the new ram i put in was affecting it, but still the same thing. Ok ill look at those links you posted in a little bit and see what happens.
Quote from HeerBommel :A 256 Mb card for £39 ($70) is a fake. Slow memory and slow card with a lot of empty space. The same type with 128 Mb costs £34 ($60) and you cant tell the difference. I have experience with the Ati 9600XT (S1) and now the nVidia 6600GT (S2). Both cards are good enough to present the top graphics in LFS.

Have a XP 64 3500+ (2200 mhz 1.3 nm version).

I use 1280 x 960 at 4AA and 8AF and got around 50 - 60 FPS. For LFS my configuration is very balanced. For shooters I could use a better card but in LFS my proc is in perfect harmony with the graphics card.

have an 9600 XT, great card, full everything, aa anf af, and i still never drops below 50 fps!
I have a SiS 962L mothercard, and have have checked SiS's homepage, but I cant find a driver update for it....Suggestions?
Quote from audimasta :I have a SiS 962L mothercard, and have have checked SiS's homepage, but I cant find a driver update for it....Suggestions?

Sis is the chipset manufacturer, what you need to do is check your documents or take the cover off your PC and look for the motherboard manufacturer and video card manufacturer, then find there support section at there website for driver updates and BIOS updates.

Even if you just get whatever information you can find on the motherboard and video card then google that info you will find something...
Sorry if this is sort of off topic, but i have a laptop that i use to play lfs and it runs at 30-45 fps with all the graphics turned to their lowest, no mirrors etc. etc. Is there any means of upgrading a laptop to perform better? Even if its an external non portable device?
i've upgraded from a 128MB geforce 5900xt to a 256MB 6800GS and there's no massive improvement, particularly when there are many vehicles on the screen.
Uhmmm, does the latest 6.1 driver from ATI fix this problem or not?

EDIT: Ooops... posted in wrong thread! Was referring to this ATI bug where the game becomes absolutely unplayable because you upgrade your drivers.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG