The online racing simulator
My thoughts on the new patch.
(137 posts, started )
changing controls will cause worse driving at first, usually...

I'm still on a gamepad (have almost always been, actually)... I know it's not quite ideal, but I have my reasons. Depending on certain factors, I might switch to a wheel, perhaps even in the near future.
Some changes in previous patches, and the fact I switched pads a while ago also made me much worse than before, so sucking after a controller change (or a patch change) isn't so weird to happen. If I connect a wheel right now I would be terrible but in time I'd probably love it and wouldn't want to go back. I also tried keyboard/mouse but I can't handle that at all, whereas other people would probably be surprised at how I'd be able to handle the game with a gamepad at all.

As for my thoughts on the new patch... I noticed one can do very evil things very easily now, with those jpg adverts (see attachment)....
Attached images
ads.jpg
Yet another drifting (I mean deviating from intended topic, not driving with your zipper down and both hands on your "gearstick")thread. I looked at the first thread in the list, telling us not to start another thread about this patch, but instead use any of the three with links supplied.

Funny, but somehow I have ended in a thread talking about controllers. While it may be a good discussion, is this the right place for it?

With regards to the new patch, I think that in many aspects it is brilliant, but in others it really needs urgent work. So, on average, this makes me indifferent.

Restrictions on DEMO 10/10
FBM 5/10
Idea of Clutch 10/10
Quality of Supplied Clutch 2/10
Throttle Blip Restrictions 5/10 (should be available when using sequential shift ONLY, as this would be realistic - try racing a real car with sequential box and no throttle management)
Track Changes 7/10
Engine Dynamics 4/10. Needed work, but this change replaces one lot of issues with another. Insufficient gap between practical redline and Hard Limiting. Torque range on some engines is quite unrealistic.

Effort of Developers, Beta Testers and all others involved

11/10

It's your choice - you can choose either to be part of the problem, or part of the solution, so what are you waiting for???
Quote from Zoom_Boom :i don't have a wheel for this game yet and since it does enhance the realism of this game, does it also improve your time??? by how much??

That depends completely on the individual. In almost every case though, the answer is yes. A wheel allows much more precise, consistent car control. And it's a lot more fun, which is all that really matters. A wheel really makes this sim what it is.
Quote from Glenn67 :

If you are using a clutch and H gated shifter then there is no advantage as you have to do heel toe to get equivelant lap times that opens you up to making alot more mistakes in the course of a race and imo requires a lot more skill compared to sequential shifting

That makes me feel soooo much better about being average.
I played about 3 months with a Logitech Gamepad . After i got my first wheel (DFP) it took me about 2 weeks to improve my times , and believe me they improved alot .
Quote from orange_boy_uk : Plus that new 1.2 bmw F1 car is rubbish. I mean why do we need more F1 cars and why for demo's.

We've got more F1 cars? Cool! Which one - Ferrari, Mclaren? Can't believe I didn't notice that in the car selection screen!

Oh - hang on a sec - 1.2 bmw F1 - you're not confusing the little Formula BMW with an F1 car are you?
Quote from orange_boy_uk :Plus that new 1.2 bmw F1 car is rubbish. I mean why do we need more F1 cars and why for demo's.

1. It's not an F1 car
2. You don't HAVE to drive it
3. Other people are very happy about the addition
4. The LFS devs were approached to implement a real car into LFS, how many times does such an opportunity present itself? Should they have said no?
5. It's in the demo to give a better impression of LFS
6. Complaining about features added to LFS is really stupid.
Satisfided With LFS as it is
I am pleased tyhat Lfs is the way it is now that is beacsue i love the ideo of a afordable sim that is also onb its way ,

to become verry hardcore sim, i like the idea of playing lfs in that way

I just dont get al the whining about Patch wgere my XRT and its to realistic
I think the more realisem the better

I just think the futer looks sunny wright now,
so developers i say give lfs you best eforts

:eclipsee_ Regards Chris
i will just give some statements.. i hope not all of the stuff that i am writing now has already been said:

the clutch is in my eyes unnecessary and in the fbm it breaks too easily,
the new 45° view to the sides is actualy a good idea, but it is unrealisitc -> the drivers don't wear a HANS, so they can actually look 90° to the side. solution: just give the drivers a HANS system ;=)

the change in the looking back thing is unrealistic, too. -> when u look back in a touringcar you dont move between the seats and look behind you. Solution: If you want to make it realistic, you should leava out the looking back feature in single seaters, and maybe make it like it was before in touringcars.
Another advice for mirrors: Why not let the player change the direction of the mirrors in the setup area?

Another advice: It would be pretty cool if the guys that are standing next to the track could show yellow,blue and green flags. On Blackwood there already are some marshals standing in the right spots for doing this^^.

I hope that is the right topic for posting this, if not I'm sorry (delete it then)
Quote from amen1 :the clutch is in my eyes unnecessary

It's absolutely necessary in a racing simulator that aims at realism.
I'm not going to comment on whether it breaks too easily as that has already been discussed to death. Suffice to say, I can seem to drive forever if I shift properly and clutch-in if I spin.

You can now look 90 degrees.

Animated marshals and configurable mirrors would be nice and all, but I'd prefer it if the Devs did other things first like improved colision detection, engine and body damage. That's just my opinion though.

Finally, you look to have been using the demo for a hell of a long time now, so get S2 ya tightarse!
Can I just say that if you don't like the Y patch then you can always stick at X, noone's forcing you to install the patch. Servers are a bit empty though
Quote from pearcy_2k7 :Tried a G25 last night, had about 2-3 laps using it i have to say... i was pretty bad i think, usually on RR4 im getting 31 first splits but when i used the wheel i got 32:90.

Any other keyboarders or mouse or joypad users had the same experince as me? and did it turn out good when you bought one?

The car felt more planted, but i was quicker on keyboard in the technical parts.

I had the same problem a while ago when I went from kb to wheel. But after a bit of time I realised, and my times showed, that wheel was better. You'll get the hang of it and be blasting your times soon

My thoughts on the new patch.
(137 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG