The online racing simulator
Help A Brother With Dialup
(11 posts, started )
Well heres the story, I recently moved (literally a few days before christmas) and just before I moved I downloaded Patch X30, it was a big download (60~MB I think) Then I updated to X31 which fixed the controller axis problem.

But when I moved, I switched to 24k dial up, which is horribly slow. I was hoping I would be able to update from X31 to Y, because I already downloaded a huge patch, and I'm assuming there isn't MUCH change from X31 to Y.

Basically my question is, is there any way I can go from X31 to Y without downloading that huge "official" patch?

PS, I would download it at school but we are on holidays, and I don't have the resources to get over to friends houses to download to a jump-drive.
~Bryan~
I wouldn't like to think there was a way to drive on patch Y without actually having it.

If I were you i'd get a downloading programme and just leave it on for quite some time, I remember back in the day I downloaded a huge 100mb GP4 patch on dial up. Download prog even turned the pc off when it was done, was a huge acheivement!
The other option is a pen drive or MP3 player if you go somewhere there IS broadband access. My mp3 player doubles as a flash drive and I sometimes use that to transfer things I find at work in case I forget them before I get home.

I used to use Download Accelerator Plus (free version) when I had dialup, purely for the transfer resuming because we got cut off every 2 hours. These days most browsers support that anyway.
If you don't get disconnected you could just leave it downloading when you went to bed or something, to finish overnight.
Well I'm hoping I'll be on a decent 48kbit service once we get our second phone line. But right now I can only use the net in little bursts because my parents need the phone throughout the day (and night)

Well at least I have my answer, downloading the full X to Y patch is the only way to do it, so I guess I'll hit up the library after newyears or something.

It's so weird going from a rock solid 10MB line, to some sketchy high latency dial up. I really did take highspeed for granted.

I'd look through the threads for the changes but could somebody be kind and sum up any of the changes from the test patches to Y, or is it mostly bug fixes and little improvements?
~Bryan~
#5 - ajp71
I assume you're not racing online? If so there's little to gain from having Y, only the odd slight bug fix.
Quote from Dajmin :I used to use Download Accelerator Plus (free version) when I had dialup, purely for the transfer resuming because we got cut off every 2 hours. These days most browsers support that anyway.

Funny thing is, that there is not much dial-up left in the world. Broadband rulez
There is an X30 to Y patch, I thought. Or maybe X32 to Y. I certainly have it at home. Can't you download this when you go to browse the list of online games?

Also, I thought X30 and onwards are compatible with Y, so can be used on Y servers anyway.
Here in Belgium they're starting to clean up the dial up connections...
Quote from Bob Smith :Also, I thought X30 and onwards are compatible with Y, so can be used on Y servers anyway.

They are not. There was some fixes to the tracks and clutch strength changes in between X30 and Y.
Quote :There is an X30 to Y patch, I thought. Or maybe X32 to Y. I certainly have it at home. Can't you download this when you go to browse the list of online games?

There is and it should be available when you go to the List of Games. But that patch is around 30MB iirc.
#10 - DeKo
my local library was open today, and fair enough you are in canada, but go down tommorow or something and see if its open, its worth a try.

However though, unless your playing online or fancy doing the RAC training levels, there are only a few bug changes from X31 > Y, as somebody stated further up.
Surely there's an internet cafe somewhere? Are you... from... 1995? :P

(11 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG