The online racing simulator
Engine damage indicator
(19 posts, started )
Engine damage indicator
Unfortunately there is no engine damage indicator. Wouldn't it be a good idea to add such indicator to the other damage indicators?
#2 - Woz
Quote from Mr. Adrie :Unfortunately there is no engine damage indicator. Wouldn't it be a good idea to add such indicator to the other damage indicators?

You can hear the engine damage as a "popcorn" sound in the engine tone.
...but of course an indicator like that would be good.
#4 - dev
-1.... I would also like to se the clutch temp indicator removed...
-
(wark) DELETED by wark
#5 - ajp71
My car has a big engine damage needle on the dashboard
#6 - Ian.H
The Merc I've just scrapped dropped from 6 to 5 cylinders (rings were shot).. but I didn't have a big flashing indicator saying "engine screwed" anywhere in sight... the fact I had a massive drop in power at low revs was an indication of something being not-quite-right(tm). Ironically, the last time I damaged an engine in LFS, I lost power and it created a funky sound... oh... perhaps an indicator of something being not-quite-right(tm)

Regards,

Ian
#7 - heson
Ofcourse there should be an indicator, road cars have two, one shows temperature and the other warns of low oil pressure. These two does not show all kinds of damage (before its too late) though. (But there are alot of low hanging fruit to pick before refining the engine physics.)
that water temp gauge on the dash should work too. It´s copletely useless at the moment
+1
I would really like it. It could be done with an oil temperature indicator. Or a oil lamp in the formula cars.

Would be the middle of realism and help.
Quote from heson :Ofcourse there should be an indicator, road cars have two, one shows temperature and the other warns of low oil pressure. These two does not show all kinds of damage (before its too late) though. (But there are alot of low hanging fruit to pick before refining the engine physics.)

There's no indicator telling you that you've bent valves (the most common non-terminal damage from over reving), the feedback a real driver gets is already simulated if you can't hear it that's your fault.
a health engine status like gtr2 add ons would be great, maybe some clever programmer can do something...
I understand that the true racing purists don't want such indicator in LFS. Nevertheless LFS has indicators that show suspension damage. Those are not realistic either, but they are there, and I find them useful. Mainly because I drive hotlaps instead of races. As soons as I notice that I damaged the car, I will quit the lap and restart.
#13 - dev
Quote from Mr. Adrie :I understand that the true racing purists don't want such indicator in LFS. Nevertheless LFS has indicators that show suspension damage. Those are not realistic either, but they are there, and I find them useful. Mainly because I drive hotlaps instead of races. As soons as I notice that I damaged the car, I will quit the lap and restart.

Well you can't exactly feel the suspension damage through your monitor or wheel... but you can hear when the engine iz damaged...
Maybe it's because I have the sound level quite low (because I don't want to disturb other people), but so far I haven't heard the sound difference....

I suppose there are different levels of engine damage, just like there are different levels of suspension damage. What kind of hearing skills are needed to find out that you lost 10, 20, 30, ... % of the engine power? Therefore I prefer a visual indication.
Another damage indicator? Nah, the ones we already have should already not be in, I'd rather have clutch temperature and suspension damage removed than having engine damage in (also have tyre temperature as an onscreen-thingy for the race cars on their dashboard rather than F9 view)
oil temp and pressure: yes
water temp: yes
tire temps: yes
brake temps: yes

clutch temp: no
suspension damage: no
engine damage: no

honestly, if you can't feel the clutch slipping, the handling going wonky, or the engine losing power, i don't know what to say. these are all very obvious.
#17 - JTbo
Quote from dev :-1.... I would also like to se the clutch temp indicator removed...

Just don't press F9 or F10 so that you can see it

hmm, this also would be get solved by force shift+f server side option
Quote from dev :Well you can't exactly feel the suspension damage through your monitor or wheel... but you can hear when the engine iz damaged...

Sure about this?
#19 - dev

Engine damage indicator
(19 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG