The online racing simulator
blender models
(30 posts, started )
blender models
Hi,
I only have blender (the free 3D render program), but it cannot import/open the .max files (I think from Ian.H's website). Could anyone provide the models or scenes please, which would work in blender so I could play around with making my own renders from my skins? If this is even possible. I'm not in linux at the moment so i can check what file types it can open if anyone needs to know.

Natively it opens and creates '.blend' files. Here's what it can import:

3D Studio (.3ds)
AC3D (.ac)
COLLADA (.dae)
DEV Object File Formats (.off)
Lightwave + Materials (.lwo)
MD2 (.md2)
Motion Capture (.bvh)
Nendo (.ndo)
Paths (.svg, .ps, .eps, .ai, Gimp)
Pro Engineer (.slp)
Radiosity (.radio)
Raw Triangle (.raw)
TrueSpace (.cob)
Wavefront (.obj)
Wings3D (.wings)

I use the latest version 2.40.

Thanks,

mr_spoon
I found the 3Ds models in another thread, but fome some reason it wont work when trying to import them, but it opens an other example 3ds file i have. weird.
maybe a reason Blender wont load them is cause of the type of materials. for example Ian's models use Brazil materials instead of standard ones, so that might be confusing it.. or even, it might not support the multi-sub-map material..
other reason might be a miss polygon count, or a miss smooth.
dunno man :S
anything new here i would like to render skins but i cant buy a 3ds max
really too expensiveillepall
well there is no way you'd get ian's brazil scenes working for you, i suggest you just get the cmx to 3ds converter and start converting and go on from there, because anything with values besides those of the cmx files (ei: materials and such) most certainly wont work with blender
i use also blender and had the same problem as you at first when i imported a 3ds file.
the reason is very simple: the importer works not correctly and scales the objects so that you cant see the models anymore.

try this:

open a new scene
delete all objects, such as the default cube, lamps etc.
start to import the scene
look if there are new object centers in the middle of the scene
select them all with A
scale them down untill you can see them.
WOOOHOOO!!!

Thanks bLaCk VaMpIrE!

Quick recap;

1. Load Blender,
2. Delete the cube (don't need to remove the camera & light),
3. Import .3ds model,
4. Scale 's' to '0.00001',
5. Rotate 'r' around the 'x' axis '180' degrees,

See the attached render if you want.

Thanks again!

mr_spoon.
Attached images
fo8-blender.png
does Blender results are the same as 3ds max\brazil's results ?
lol keep in mind blender is free.. 3dsmax is definetly not, so it most surely wont come out the same.. plus, brazil is just a plugin, its not hard to make a render look like its done by brazil or anything, only difference is that it would take longer to render
@XCNuse:
Just look at the gellery at www.blender3d.org .
Do not underestimate open source software...
Quote from Rouman :@XCNuse:
Just look at the gellery at www.blender3d.org .
Do not underestimate open source software...

well, even from their site's gallery, u can see that they cant get results as good as 3dsmax ones.. :S
just want to notice, that the preproductions were made with blender.

but you have to remember, that blender supports also an external render engine yafray. there is also a python script for povray,... and aqis i think.

http://www.yafray.org

i have made a picture half a year ago, not very good, but shows, that it is possible to render with blender and yafray:

Quote from ramtech :yep.. these examples are way better than the ones on their site

those are from their site (gallery -> archives)

i'd hope to one day be able to produce such works, but i've only be playing with blender for a few days and i can't even figure out how to texture the models :doh:
which models?
when you try to texture these imported lfs models... have fun.. very much work and the result is usually not the best..
could somebody be so kind and post the 3ds modelfiles. Particularly the FZR GTR... thx in advance
HAHAHA 6.5mb, the installer....ROFL
and the best the Manual VOLUME 1 is about 40mb, vol2 still to come....

HAR.

k,

@bLaCk VaMpIrE

which models?
when you try to texture these imported lfs models... have fun.. very much work and the result is usually not the best..

You may be right depending how much time involved.
But how are we OTHERS (non 3dsmax users) supposed come to our models?
order them from the devs?

HAR²
Thanx a lot
I have come to this so far and it was a pain in the ass
Attached images
essaifox.jpg
Quote from ldriver :I have come to this so far and it was a pain in the ass

oh just get 3dsmax.. it will be way easier!
Yes i think i will "get" it.
Quote from ramtech :oh just get 3dsmax.. it will be way easier!

because somebody has made a simple file, which has just to be loaded and rendered.
it could be as easy as in max if somebody would do this work.
Quote from bLaCk VaMpIrE :because somebody has made a simple file, which has just to be loaded and rendered.
it could be as easy as in max if somebody would do this work.

i found the procedure quite simple when i imported the XRR in 3dsmax and edited all the materials etc. in order to render it..
i dont know if its that simple in blender, but why dont you do the favour and do it for us then?

blender models
(30 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG