The online racing simulator
Default Steering Ratio Too High
(16 posts, started )
This set-up related...sort of, but not really, so I thought I would ask here:

Is there any way to change the default steering ratio in the built-in set-ups? 36 degrees means you can spin around like a top. I know I can make a new saet-up for every car and just change this, but thought there may be a way to do it globally.

Thanks,

Marc
#2 - Gunn
You can change the "analogue steer smooth" (options/misc) setting for a less abrupt response. That may solve your problem. Some of the settings in the steering section may help as well. Roll bar and suspension settings may also help you to fine tune your handling. But really, each car/track combo requires an individual approach for best results.
If there is, dont do it. Only thing adjusting "steering sensitivity" will do is cause the steering to be non linear effecting a poor feeling. So i would just adjust the steering lock separately with every setup, after all.. you might want it little different for different cars.
Quote from Drunken Predator :If there is, dont do it. Only thing adjusting "steering sensitivity" will do is cause the steering to be non linear effecting a poor feeling. So i would just adjust the steering lock separately with every setup, after all.. you might want it little different for different cars.

Agreed--I definitely do not want non-linear steering under any circumstance.

It's just too bad they picked an arcade 36 degrees as the default instead of something more realistic like half that.
Driven a real car recently? Looked at the amount the wheels turn recently? An F3 car has over 20°, which is more than half your figure.
#6 - Woz
Quote from Marc Collins :Agreed--I definitely do not want non-linear steering under any circumstance.

It's just too bad they picked an arcade 36 degrees as the default instead of something more realistic like half that.

Actually only some of the cars have 36, others have 30 and the high end rqce cars are far lower. Depends on the car, its geometry etc as to what sort of lock is possible.

You WILL need to change the steering lock on each setup, that is normal. A global setting is not desirable and would also not work for all cars unless you limited it to the lowest max lock (About 20degrees I think from memory.
Quote from tristancliffe :Driven a real car recently? Looked at the amount the wheels turn recently? An F3 car has over 20°, which is more than half your figure.

If you have even seen a real car, you'll know that they do not have turning circles anywhere near as small as you can accomplish at 30 or 36 degrees in LFS. This is a common feature of arcade driving/racing games so morons can extricate themselves from crashes without having to bother shifting into reverse.

Somewhere around 16 degrees seems to be the closest to reality, but it will be slightly different on one car versus another. Single digit settings are only used by oval racers in real life.

I have no problem with LFS allowing this extreme, unrealistic setting, but I just wish the default had not been set to that.

I was also curious as to whether settings could be changed globally--it appears they cannot.

You have contributed nothing to the conversation with your comments.
I cannot think of a road car that has LESS than 25° of lock, and most have much more. My point with the F3 car (which is a racing car, you see, and doesn't have much lock) has OVER 20° of lock.

There is nothing unrealistic about LFS's locks, or turning circles.

It's a shame you understand so little about basic car stuff, because you sound as though are quite intelligent. Maybe you're really knowledgeable about ballroom dancing or something.
#9 - JTbo
Quote from Marc Collins :If you have even seen a real car, you'll know that they do not have turning circles anywhere near as small as you can accomplish at 30 or 36 degrees in LFS. This is a common feature of arcade driving/racing games so morons can extricate themselves from crashes without having to bother shifting into reverse.

Somewhere around 16 degrees seems to be the closest to reality, but it will be slightly different on one car versus another. Single digit settings are only used by oval racers in real life.

I have no problem with LFS allowing this extreme, unrealistic setting, but I just wish the default had not been set to that.

I was also curious as to whether settings could be changed globally--it appears they cannot.

You have contributed nothing to the conversation with your comments.

Hmm, something not right here, I know that my IRL car has 38 degrees of steering lock, none of street cars I know has something like 16 degrees, maybe some race cars do have, but rally cars also have lot more and those have also really quick steering.

You should know that Tristancliffe has own F3 car that he races and has already worked quite long with cars, so he surely knows his stuff, even he sometimes is bit rough with comments, but that just is part of his character, don't take it too personal

Btw, I have technical data of quite range of older road cars here and all have loads more than 16, hard to find anything below 30 really.

Don't know if it could be some misunderstanding, steering lock in LFS is from lock to lock, not example from center to left or center to right.
Quote from Marc Collins :

it's 9 pm and about -10°C outside, anyway:

my 1st car (Honda Civic Hatch): about 33-38°
my 2nd car (Mitsubishi Colt): 33-38°
You all seem to making the common mistake of assuming LFS (or any other computer sim) is real. Set the lock to 36 in LFS. Get in the car and drive in the tightest possible circle (full lock one way or the other) from a dead stop. Now go do the same thing in your Honda Civic or whatever.

Notice that when you are in your real car you don't spin around like you were standing still and swinging a ballroom dancing partner at the end of your arm's reach? Notice that you are actually driving in a circle that is more than two car widths? I knew you would see the difference. All better now?
Try it in LFS - notice how the car goes in a circle about two or three car widths wide.

Post a replay of your uber tight turns, and we might believe you. But the LFS lock is pretty realistic. Your opinion on the lock of real road cars is plain wrong.
#14 - Gunn
Quote from Marc Collins :
Somewhere around 16 degrees seems to be the closest to reality, but it will be slightly different on one car versus another.

My road car has a lock of 44 degrees. It's not pushing any boundaries of reality and indeed it has a tight turning circle and is easy to park. And it's a large car with a 4 litre engine and RWD, not a shopping trolley like a Civic.

FWD cars though tend to have less available lock than RWD, generally speaking.
#15 - JTbo
Here is one parking I did last summer, no reversing just turn and drive forward, all those cars were there at the moment when I drove.

I don't think that would be possible with 20 degrees of steering lock, I doubt that it would be possible with 30 degrees of steering lock either as it was quite tight fit, luckily these better cars do have turning front wheels, unlike some modern FWD shopping trolleys
Attached images
not_with_20degree_of_lock.JPG
Quote from Gunn :... a large car with a 4 litre engine and RWD, not a shopping trolley like a Civic...

Quote from JTbo :... unlike some modern FWD shopping trolleys

illepall:chair:

(16 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG