The online racing simulator
TrackIR won't look past 90 degrees now.
Using TrackIR I can no longer look back over my shoulders or out the back window. The view now stops at 90 degrees, i.e, when I look left I can't look any further than out the left window. And when I look right, again, the view stops.

It seems to be happening for all cars.

In real life, you can look over your shoulder and see out the back, heck, when doing a drivers license test, if you didn't do that, you would fail. How else do you check the blinds spots?

Hope this gets fixed soon, driving with blinkers on is very restrictive.
I dont believe its a bug. The viewing was restricted and looking back removed within LFS within Patch Y, its right there in the change log if you have a read and a search around. I would expect it to restrict movement with a TrackIR too.

The numer of degrees you can look left and right is changable within options.

As for looking back generally.. In a single seater, all you would see is the back of the cockpit, and if you were racing in a tin top, apart from having all kinds of protective gear on, harneses and restraints, you would probably not be able to fully turn to see behind you out of your helmet.

LFS is going for realism, I suggest you use the mirrors more
Quote from RatzMilk :It seems to be happening for all cars.

Are you sure? In road cars you can still watch behind.
Quote from RatzMilk :In real life, you can look over your shoulder and see out the back, heck, when doing a drivers license test, if you didn't do that, you would fail. How else do you check the blinds spots?

In a real car on the track, you're strapped in with a racing harness. You can't twist your shoulders around like you can in your road car. The current view limitations reflect that accurately, imho.

There was a problem in the earlier test patches which prevented certain controllers from using the necessary view controls, but since that was resolved I think the 90° limit with variable angle option and the more limited "look back" options are an excellent refinement to the view system.
Even with a helmet on and strapped in, you can still turn your head more than 90 degrees, at least 110 degrees and around 130 degrees with only slight twisting of the shoulders, no matter how tightly you are strapped in. Plus, your eyes have a large field of view. The new views give the driver tunnel vision, his eyes a locked in place and he no longer has his peripheral vision. Even in the Momo racing buckets that have the little wings to stop sideways movement of your helmet, you can still look back out the rear side windows.

When using TrackIR, you don't have the option to adjust the viewing angle as you do with button views, all cars are restricted to 90 degrees.

And yes, in a single seater, all you could see was the back of the cockpit when you looked back. But a single seater doesn't have the blind spots in the mirrors like tin tops do.

There is nothing in the change log about TrackIR, you are only assuming that TrackIR views were changed by design when the button views were changed. It may very well have been an unfortunate and unintended side effect of restricting the button views. The number of degrees you can view is not changeable when using TrackIR as it is with button view.

It would seem that TrackIR users are now more restricted in their views then button users. We should at least have the same viewing options as button users as we did before and not be penalized for using TrackIR.
Here are some examples of the blind spots in the views for TrackIR users.

This view shows where the other car is:

From inside the cockpit, the other car can't be seen at all.

Attached images
topview.JPG
rightshoulderview.JPG
sidemirror.JPG
rearviewmirror.JPG
Quote from mkinnov8 :LFS is going for realism, I suggest you use the mirrors more

Then why isn't cockpit forced on. How can you say LFS is going for realism when most drivers use some invisible mode that makes the whole car disappear and gives you clear view of the front wheels.

Or that Gods eye view from the rear of the car.

If you can make the whole cockpit disappear, why not look back over your shoulders.

When the only way to drive is with a full cockpit, only then will you be able say LFS is going for realism.
Hang on a minute, are you an owl? How can you look over your shoulder and still see your screen?
You will find there is (and has been for a while) a force cockpit option within lfs, now I believe with the ability to personalise and tweak it. I say again, if you wish to look behind you, use your mirrors.
Quote from ATC Quicksilver :Hang on a minute, are you an owl? How can you look over your shoulder and still see your screen?

You obviously have had no experience of TIR. I'm in complete agreement with RatzMilk. A for instance: regaining the track after a spin I used to be able to look back over my shoulder to see further down the track. No longer possible. Yes yes, turn on the map but I like to drive Shift+F and it now detracts from that.
But hey ho, that's the way it is so I'll live with it and try to pretend I never had the facility.
Have you ever sat in a racing seat? They're mounted very low in the car with high sides that you can't see through. You'd still have that blind spot when you're not strapped in with the door open in most racing cars when trying to move them round a garage it's pretty much impossible to see anything. Now imagine you're wearing a helmet and tightly strapped in possibly with a HANS device and a helmet you don't have any chance to quickly glance round 90 degrees let alone that far.
Quote from mkinnov8 : As for looking back generally.. In a single seater, all you would see is the back of the cockpit, and if you were racing in a tin top, apart from having all kinds of protective gear on, harneses and restraints, you would probably not be able to fully turn to see behind you out of your helmet.

Really, LFS is going realsim? So we cars will get real shafts and radiators that can break, adsjustable rearview mirrors, side views mirrors with the real views (now you can see a cone immediate behind your big FXR car in your sideview!), crashing will be painful and costly, rain will be implemented, turning indicators wont go off while changing view, windows will break... ? that great... but we wont be able to change FOV, see others in real time, use chaseview or even customview?

AWWWW!
Quote from ajp71 :Have you ever sat in a racing seat?

Yep, sure have kid. Everything from drag bikes, to Group N rally to dirt track bangers. I've built 'em, raced 'em, wrecked 'em.

I'll say it again, your eyes have a much larger field of view than you get in this game. Even if you could only turn your head 90 degrees, your eyes will be able to see all the way round to 130 to 140 degrees, unless you have tunnel vision which is what this game has give us TrackIR users.

Try it your self sitting in your chair. Put a helmet on, then turn your head to 90 degrees. You don't have a wall blocking your view, you can see further around passed 90 degrees. Your eyes in total have almost a 180 degree field of view. Look straight ahead but hold your arms out straight at your sides. You can still see them, even though you are looking straight ahead.

The limited display area of a monitor is just like having tunnel vision, with only about 30 degrees of view. To compensate, you need to move the view on the monitor around.

This game is like looking through binoculars.
Quote from mkinnov8 :I dont believe its a bug. The viewing was restricted and looking back removed within LFS within Patch Y, its right there in the change log if you have a read and a search around. I would expect it to restrict movement with a TrackIR too.

It's only when using TrackIR that look behind has been removed. You can still look behind (180 degress) when using buttons to view in the street cars.

So, more realism just for TrackIR users only?

I'll ask again, why were the TrackIR views crippled? Why do the button views still have the look behind (180 degrees) option that TrackIR no longer has?
Quote from ATC Quicksilver :Hang on a minute, are you an owl? How can you look over your shoulder and still see your screen?

ahahahhahahahah sorry just had to laugh.

this reply is completely useless i know

Quote from MaxHeadroom :Really, LFS is going realsim? So we cars will get real shafts and radiators that can break, adsjustable rearview mirrors, side views mirrors with the real views (now you can see a cone immediate behind your big FXR car in your sideview!), crashing will be painful and costly, rain will be implemented, turning indicators wont go off while changing view, windows will break... ? that great... but we wont be able to change FOV, see others in real time, use chaseview or even customview?

AWWWW!

yeah thats the idea, now your getting it, its just not there yet.
Quote from legoflamb :yeah thats the idea, now your getting it, its just not there yet.

Eh ok. tell me when we get monitors that allow us seeing 150 degrees.
Quote from MaxHeadroom :Eh ok. tell me when we get monitors that allow us seeing 150 degrees.

Its not the monitors that alow FOV, it is the program/application in queston that allows it. So we do have monitors that allow 150 FOV, its just that everything will seem really small/far away.

Edit: If you hold 6 on your keyboard you can zoom out to a max of 160 degrees in LFS.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG