The online racing simulator
Clutch Overheating
(114 posts, started )

Poll : Does the clutch pose problems for you?

No, I can shift perfectly fine.
I'm having a lot of trouble with it
Clutch Overheating
With all the [insert word of choice here] complaining about how this patch sucks since they cannot seem to make one lap around the track without burning it up (do you guys KNOW how to shift?!!?) I thought I'd create this poll. I'm REALLY hoping that these [insert that word again here] will be greatly outnumbered by people who DON'T have trouble... just to shut them up...
#2 - J@tko
If you drive properly then you cannot have a problem. The only reason mine overheats is coz i push to hard, spin, then do burnouts trying to get back on again!
#3 - JTbo
It seems that you made post in bit of anger, calling people idiots and all, that is not helping, imo.
Perhaps taking deep breath and rewording might be good, most of them are just people without knowledge, telling them how one can drive without burning clutch is often enough.
I can change very well when im cluthing manually.. if i choose not to heel and toe and use autoclutch im having issues with some cars, FBMW being one.
#5 - Gunn
Options edited. You might get a more sincere response now in the poll. Nobody wants to admit to being an idiot.
No problems at all with the new clutch settings, People just have to realise that you gotta let the clutch engage before you give it full gas and make the clutch slip, Dont see a need for a change.
I have never actually used LFS that much, fech I cant even remember when I first became aware of it, but I welcome all of the changes made since I got it, the FBMW shift method is easy once you get used to the tug/lift sequence, I have only driven against ai as I dont rate my LFS driving standards that highly but have not fried a clutch since I stopped flatshifting and remembered my old N2k3/GPL days, annoying habit picked up in ISI sims, the cars feel much more like I think they should from my experience driving real race prepared cars at work every day for 12 yrs (Knockhill '84 to '96) so keep the realism coming Scawen I say, well done

Sam
#8 - dahle
How do I exact know when the clutch overheats? And what can I do
to avod it? I have two pedals, not three, so I haven't cared about using clutch before (think it has been set to auto-clutch. When I have changed gear I've not let go of the throttle).

I haven't really tested the patch very much, but I am interested
in how I must change my driving, compared to the earlier versions,
and when I knwo my clutch is broken. Will it be fixed when I do pit in?
If you show the damage menu (F10 I think) there is a small clutch bar on the bottom left. That bar grows as the clutch gets hotter and turns red when it's too hot. You'll notice if you overheat the clutch because it will slip, and so the engine will rev freely even in gear, but you won't move. If that happens, either reset, or if its not THAT hot it should cool down after a bit. If you drive slowly without mashing the throttle, that can help cool it off if you notice it's getting hot.

Yea, I was a little pissed. Thanks for editing the poll options.
I dont see what all this fuss is about. If you dont know how to drive, use auto clutch. Simple as that.
#11 - JTbo
Quote from Drunken Predator :I can change very well when im cluthing manually.. if i choose not to heel and toe and use autoclutch im having issues with some cars, FBMW being one.

FBMW does not use clutch when shifting at all, just pull lever and lift foot while still pulling lever, or push lever and keep it pushed while lifting a bit, not need to lift fully, no clutch needed at all, only at starts.
Quote from JTbo :FBMW does not use clutch when shifting at all, just pull lever and lift foot while still pulling lever, or push lever and keep it pushed while lifting a bit, not need to lift fully, no clutch needed at all, only at starts.

Thats odd, its one of the cars that i almost kicked my son to the face with my knee trying to succesfully upshift

Could be me, ive driven very little it so far (maybe cos i actually prefer rFactor FBMW over it!)
I very occasionally toast the clutch, but not as much as I used to. No real issue here, a bit of practice helps a lot.
#14 - wien
Quote from dahle :...

If you lift the throttle when changing up, you should be fine. Blipping the throttle on down shift also helps, but isn't strictly necessary to avoid overheating.
Only ever burnt the clutch once, and that was puposefully flat-shifting to see what would happen.

Seriously, how hard is it to lift your foot a tiny bit?
#16 - JTbo
Quote from Drunken Predator :Thats odd, its one of the cars that i almost kicked my son to the face with my knee trying to succesfully upshift

Could be me, ive driven very little it so far (maybe cos i actually prefer rFactor FBMW over it!)

Try this, drive rather slow at 3rd, keep speed steady, now you can easily shift to 2nd or 4th without clutch.

Then drive again steady slow speed with 3rd, push accelerator to floor pull lever and keep it pulled, nothing happens, but lift throttle while pulling lever and it will shift and you can floor it again.

Do these test on straight, slow speed, medium to low rpm and you will quickly find idea behind it, then slowly increase speed and pace of driving and soon you are racing without any trouble with shifting
hmm ok, i will try that.. when im more sober
I can't drive worth shit. I can't even burn the clutch in the XRG. Am I a total failure?
Only time i ever got the clutch to red was during a 10 lap race at AS north in the FBM and i spun about midway. It cooled down not long after though. I've also done many laps flat shifting in various cars without any problem so i have no idea where the complaints are coming from.
this is awesome. will the handful of people who don't know how to drive please shut up now? go practice or something.
#21 - Woz
Only managed to get a clutch red once and that was when I crashed an FMB. Dont understand the problem.

I get the feeling the problem for most people is between wheel/keyboard/joystsick/mouse and chair
I've been flat shifting my XFG all day and hasn't even touched red.
Well, I guess my assumption was right. Lo and behold, you guys are by FAR the minority! AHAHAHAHA!!!

:eclipsee_
One of the most one sided polls ive seen
I only burned the clutch once on Kyoto where I forgot to lift off.

Clutch Overheating
(114 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG