The online racing simulator
Strange clutch problem when switching gears using Logitech Driving Force
I've got both a Driving Force (the blue model) and a Driving Force Pro at home. The Driving Force Pro works fine, but the Driving Force has a strange problem. Often when shifting gears the game will basically hold the clutch in for a long time. It's like driving with a clutch that's slipping. I'm using auto-clutch and the paddles are used to shift up/down. I have the pedals displayed on the lower right portion of the screen so I can see that the clutch is being pushed, the gear is changing, then the clutch is not being let out immediately. This not only loses a lot of time each lap, but it causes loss of control when I expect the car to shift and it doesn't actually grab the next gear for several seconds.

I thought this was a problem with my wheel not working correctly but a friend of mine has the same wheel and the same problem. He's also using auto-clutch and the paddles.

Has anyone else ever seen this problem? I could probably save and post a replay that would show exactly what's happening if need be. It's REALLY aggravating. Luckily I'm using the DFP on my main driving rig so the DF only gets used when I have friends over, but I'd really like to get this fixed.
Replying to my own thread...

I searched RSC for a while and found the cause of this problem and a solution. Apparently, there is a hardware bug (or limitation) with the Logitech Driving Force wheel which causes it to not signal the completion of the gear shift if the wheel is turned. Of course, this doesn't happen 100% of the time, just to make it extra difficult to narrow down.

Anyway, apparently other people have had this same problem and someone on RSC came up with a fix for it. I'm posting the link to the fix here in hopes that it'll help out someone else.

http://forum.rscnet.org/showthread.php?t=83326
Awesome Cue. I've had this problem from day one since I started playing LFS over a year ago. Nobody I play with had ever heard of my "false neutral" problem with my Driving Force. I had searched at RSC too but didn't go far enough back evidently.

I'm so happy I can ditch the Auto and actually use the paddles now like I do in every other game. Thanks again for digging this up.
I'm also racing with Driving Force and I got problems which can be similar with yours. When I was using 430 driver version, wheel just "lagged" sometimes in games like NfS5(and some more). I didn't have LFS that time, so i dunno if it wasn't only game issue. When I used older 425 version, everything seemed to be OK. Now I'm using 460 and it is OK too. The wheel only shifts twice insted once rarely(nice when braking into a slow corner with XRT), but that can be because the whell is quite old(almost 3 yrs). I shift on POD.

So try to upgrade on lgs460eng version, downgrading is tricky, I tried to do that and I totally messed up drivers....

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG