The online racing simulator
Car Dinamic Deformation& Crash DNF
Well this is an idea that came to my mind long ago, and I thing it won't need too much coding dunno.
When I see crashes in LFS, they look pretty real when they are soft... But when they are hard ugly.
Well, to my idea, I thought about "limiting" the car damage, like an invisible model that stops the deformation into that direction. Mostly like the car "Cage". This would prevent those strange crashes wher one side of the car gets through the other side oe when the driver peeks out of the car (OW most of the times).
Also, using this limiter you can add 2 of them, one for the deformation, and another one to make the car stop running, like when you hit too hard the front and the deformation hits this limit, the engine stops running.
This would make LFS crashes a bunch more reallistic without addeing too much things.
Opinions?
#2 - Danas
I think its a pretty good idea, simple and looks not so complicated, but i guess its been suggested a couple of times. A little bit O|T, but i don't get why they dont delete the bug with the walls very upseting thing it is with those barriers ant etc.
Quote from Danas :I think its a pretty good idea, simple and looks not so complicated, but i guess its been suggested a couple of times. A little bit O|T, but i don't get why they dont delete the bug with the walls very upseting thing it is with those barriers ant etc.

I seriously hope the bug walls never get taken out 100%

replaced on serious servers yeah, but bump and jump would never be the same without the car launching barriers
another thing I noticed that's wrong is the friction of the casis... For example when the car is upside down and goes through the grass, it can't keep on its roof, It should start rolling I belive that's just changing a couple of numbers, I BELIVE. It should be raised on the grass and barriers in general
#5 - ajp71
Placing artificial deformation limits is a bad idea, even the ISI engine can produce pretty convincing deformation damage, but 99% of mods/games using it way over ristrict the deformation.
+10
When they start to improve the damage modelling, I certainly hope and believe that they don't just make some invisible boxes that determine deformation and engine damage, but instead like they have done before on several other aspects of the game - be the first that take it to the next level, modelling the structure of the bodies and parts so that the cars break somewhat realistically, affecting the looks and fuctionality as it should.

Even though it could be fast to implement, doing something "small" like you suggested is completely just waste of time and resources if they are going to redo it later anyway. When the devs do something, they do it properly and work on it as long as it takes, and that's about the best thing in LFS after the driving itself.
Ah for a combination of a IL2 Sturmovik-like damage model with the current deformation engine.
MK103 gondolas and R4M racks too.
I like the idea. And it doesn't need to be a waste of resources completely. The cars we now have are like a tin can... Hollow. Theoretically it looks like you could twist and bend them inside out. But like in a real car, if we would add bars behind the bumper, inside the doors, ... And the current damage system would wrap the sheet metal around those bars, it would look a lot more real.

But also we should have more damage on doors, and not bending glass. Why is it anyway we can barely dent the doors?
There is a dent in the door of my real car, and what makes it special is, is that it's bent over the strengthening bar inside the door. That's our "limiter".

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG