The online racing simulator
Editing Replays
(5 posts, started )
Editing Replays
I just edited a replay in notepad so a skin would appear as another skin, and now the replay crashes LFS. Is this a measure against people hacking replays to stop false data being given to moderators and such? If so, is there a way to fix this, or at least fix the replay I messed up.

Thanks,
Michael
You wrecked the coding.

Just changing the skin line in the MPR replay file wont work, Because all the other code around it is also telling it to use the skin.

So change the skin back to the one it was on, And see if that fixes it.

It is still possible to edit replays without crashing LFS. This is a hacking hazard. aka. Open a modified replay someone sends to you and it could potentially destroy your computer, as it could give the hacker complete access.

Waiting for the devs to post this officially, I emailed them about it 2 days ago and they confirmed it is real.

So lets wait and see.
Yeah, someone found the exploit, and rather than just tell the devs, they blackmailed them for an hour, then released the exploit on some exploit website.

But you'll be hard pushed to ever come across a replay that's been hacked, unless you make a point of downloading every replay you come across. 99.9% of the time you'll only download replays you're interested in, and they tend to come from reputable sources.
Quote from mathew4445 :You wrecked the coding.

Just changing the skin line in the MPR replay file wont work, Because all the other code around it is also telling it to use the skin.

So change the skin back to the one it was on, And see if that fixes it.

It is still possible to edit replays without crashing LFS. This is a hacking hazard. aka. Open a modified replay someone sends to you and it could potentially destroy your computer, as it could give the hacker complete access.

Waiting for the devs to post this officially, I emailed them about it 2 days ago and they confirmed it is real.

So lets wait and see.

Okay, thanks for the information. I changed the skin back but the replay still doesn't work. I'll be more careful next time, and use the method I have been using up til now.

I didn't know edited replays could become viruses; another useful piece of information
No problem.

Editing Replays
(5 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG