The online racing simulator
Setting A Server Up
(15 posts, started )
Setting A Server Up
hey as im upgrading to S2 after the christmas time, i was wondering how hard it is to set up a server and run one? what do you need for a server could i please have an example of what i need/need to know

cheers

Scott
Well depends how you do it mate. If you plan to run it off your home connection I think the most you can expect is 8 racers at a time. I would recommend 500 servers if you plan on having any more than that as they are the best IMO and cheapest... If you take this route they will provide all you need to know
Quote from jasonmatthews :Well depends how you do it mate. If you plan to run it off your home connection I think the most you can expect is 8 racers at a time. I would recommend 500 servers if you plan on having any more than that as they are the best IMO and cheapest... If you take this route they will provide all you need to know

i feel i would get one off 500 servers, although the only problem is would i have to learn a new coding language or am i able to click buttons and basically have it done for me so to speak i do know some computing languages but not any in great detail cheers.!
Quote from welshys90 :i feel i would get one off 500 servers, although the only problem is would i have to learn a new coding language or am i able to click buttons and basically have it done for me so to speak i do know some computing languages but not any in great detail cheers.!

No mate, if you choose 500 servers, you get a Web-based interface to setup your server which is quite easy to use...

The only 'programming' so-to-speak is a simple text file (cfg) which allows you to change things....for example

Quote from setup.cfg :
cars=FOX
track=AS1
wind=no
laps=10
mustpit=yes

So above, would setup 10 laps as Aston Cadet in the FOX, with no wind and a forced pitstop
All this is editable on the web-interface and a default config file is already stored for you
Quote from tongey :No mate, if you choose 500 servers, you get a Web-based interface to setup your server which is quite easy to use...

The only 'programming' so-to-speak is a simple text file (cfg) which allows you to change things....for example

So above, would setup 10 laps as Aston Cadet in the FOX, with no wind and a forced pitstop
All this is editable on the web-interface and a default config file is already stored for you

Just to note that there is also a configuration page with drop down boxes to select the available options instead of editing the config file by hand. see attachment.

@welshey.

If you are thinking of renting from 500servers at all, feel free to login to the demo account on our control panel: http://81.19.219.136:81 user: demo pass: demo

Should give a fair idea of what is involved and how easy / difficult it is.
Attached images
Easyconfig.JPG
Quote from tongey :No mate, if you choose 500 servers, you get a Web-based interface to setup your server which is quite easy to use...

cheers for this, yeah iknow how a config file works its easy enough

Quote from franky500 :Just to note that there is also a configuration page with drop down boxes to select the available options instead of editing the config file by hand. see attachment.

@welshey.

If you are thinking of renting from 500servers at all, feel free to login to the demo account on our control panel: http://81.19.219.136:81 user: demo pass: demo

Should give a fair idea of what is involved and how easy / difficult it is.

i did try your demo account however it didnt let me log in for some reason :/
Quote from welshys90 :

i did try your demo account however it didnt let me log in for some reason :/

Just fixed that and it should work now.
Quote from franky500 :Just fixed that and it should work now.

just had a look around mate, that looks awesome.! do you own 500servers? do you get a student discount? :P
Quote from welshys90 :just had a look around mate, that looks awesome.! do you own 500servers? do you get a student discount? :P

yes i do... (own) now you dont (student discount)
Quote from franky500 :yes i do... (own) now you dont (student discount)

worth a try but thats cool man i may be applyin for one in the not to far future
Hey Franky, how do I get that web interface drop down box option config doodaly boobaly thingymajigy?
Quote from jasonmatthews :Hey Franky, how do I get that web interface drop down box option config doodaly boobaly thingymajigy?

when you go to the default config files for your server, you should see 2 "edit" buttons. Text editor and Config Editor..

The Text editor is the standard editing you are used to..

The Config Editor is the one with the drop down options.

It wont show any of your current settings in there untill its used for the first time, at which point it will overwrite the current config with the new details and will then keep the settings visible for future changes.
Wow, I never knew that! That looks really easy
remember the port forwarding if on a router

Setting A Server Up
(15 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG