The online racing simulator
Drifting A.I.??
(155 posts, closed, started )
I can't help but laugh at a button to make AI drift
Pushes the button...

Ai drifting auto pilot will start in 3...2....1... DRIFTZOR!!

Now that would be great...just great lol..
Ok i read a few of these posts How "im sooo stupid but i have a question if its not racing..>Why excatly is it called a "racing tequniqe"..[Cant Spell] But Dk used it in the racing sreis he drove...To become faster..In some cornors it is faster to drift then to grip..That is my only thery why excatly i belive it is racing!!
actually the maximum grip of a tire when sliding/drifting(past maximum slip angle) is much lower than when a tire is not sliding. (in lamens terms)

Edit:
Just try to race somebody while you drift and they grip and there will be a land slid victory for the person not sliding. (aslong as they are not an incompetent driver)

Where are people getting this false information of "drifting is faster than griping", if you do some real reasearch, you will know what people are talking about.

Its like those people that watch a bunch of "kung fu" movies, then think they can fight like a professional that has trained for years.

Edit: Edit: Unless the turn is the size of a pea, then go ahead and spin the car around so you dont have to do an 18 point turn.
#130 - Woz
Quote from greg_slideways :Ok i read a few of these posts How "im sooo stupid but i have a question if its not racing..>Why excatly is it called a "racing tequniqe"..[Cant Spell] But Dk used it in the racing sreis he drove...To become faster..In some cornors it is faster to drift then to grip..That is my only thery why excatly i belive it is racing!!

It all depends WHAT you call a drift.

You get most grip a couple of degrees into slip. This is when you hear the light scrub sound in LFS and IRL. This is not "drifting" and being able to hold the edge is a skill all drivers need. This is the "racing technique" you talk about. Also slightly into slip can be used to turn the car faster in very tight turns etc.

If what you are trying to say though is that D1GP style drifting is the fastest way around a corner you will get laughed out of here. Once your tyres are that far into slip most of your cars "power" is wasted as heat build up in the tyres.

This is standard physics. So to recap... The more power wasted heating the tyres Less "power" put into moving the car.

Hope that helps.
Drifting is the same as racing?
That's like saying figure skating is the same as speed skating.
At the end of the day the means of winning is different i.e. First across the line versus judgment.

All this BS about coined phrases like 'Racing Technique' and ' Racers' is fruitless and means nothing. People can mince whatever words they like...
I could start referring to Racers as 'Long Haired Mongolian Yaks', but it wouldn't make them Yaks at all would it?
so after i post multiple threads proving the deffinitions of "Racing" and "drifting" you guys still try to prove were all wrong and drifting isnt and type of racing

OK

1)Go to google
2) Type Oxford Dictionary
3) type "Racing" look at the Noun
4) Type "Motor Sports" look at the noun

5) go to the D1 Grand Prix website and then try to tell me that a Grand Prix isnt a class of racing nore is it seen as a motrosport
Quote from =C.R= Boomshanka :so after i post multiple threads proving the deffinitions of "Racing" and "drifting" you guys still try to prove were all wrong and drifting isnt and type of racing

OK

1)Go to google
2) Type Oxford Dictionary
3) type "Racing" look at the Noun
4) Type "Motor Sports" look at the noun

5) go to the D1 Grand Prix website and then try to tell me that a Grand Prix isnt a class of racing nore is it seen as a motrosport

:sadbanana
bless yur small head bannana boy !!
i was looking for some info and this is what i can say from what i've learned:
-a well performed drift is faster on sharp turns or turns that require heavy braking.
-on the rest grip takes advantage
-by obvious reasons drift doesn't help on long races

so a good racer should know both grip driving and drift
Quote from jonny__27 :
-a well performed drift is faster on sharp turns or turns that require heavy braking.

On tarmac especially a racer also has to take tyre wear into account. So because of that drifting around the corner is hardly used in circuit racing. Rally is a different story though.
Quote from =C.R= Boomshanka :

I've never said drifting isn't motorsport, but I think the D1 website you pointed us to sums it up quite nicely.

Quote from d1gp.com :
As a practical description, drifting is a high-skill, high-energy display of car control in which drivers slide their vehicles from side to side at high speed through a marked course or section of a permanent circuit. It looks somewhat similar to a tarmac rally stage, but is done on a closed, paved course and judged on execution and style rather than just who finishes the fastest.

'Racing' not mentioned once.

Reading on, it actually uses the same analogy as I did.

Quote from d1gp.com :
...a drifting vehicle is a thing of beauty and grace not unlike figure skating (albeit much faster and louder)

What a great site. Thanks!
yes it dose mulitiple times also litterly just above your quote

also i have to say your missing the point its a recognized Grand Prix

if you look at the deffinition of a grand prix like a posted earlyer in this thread mabe you will understand
My last post in this thread, I promise.
Quote from =C.R= Boomshanka :Yes it does mulitiple times, also literally just above your quote.

Are you referring to this?
"At the professional level, drifting fulfills the promise of exciting, high energy motor sports based entertainment, something that most other forms of racing and motor sports today fall short of, especially among certain demographics." I actually think this is more a poorly constructed sentence than a claim that drifting is in fact racing, but take it as you will. It doesn't make it fact.

Quote from =C.R= Boomshanka : Also I have to say you're missing the point. It's a recognised Grand Prix.

If you look at the definition of a Grand Prix like I posted earlier in this thread, maybe you will understand.

So, by your logic, this swimming event (see link below) is in fact motor sport:
http://www.ascta.com/www/218/1 ... splayarticle/1027543.html
No, it's not swimming, because it's called a Grand Prix! Look at the definition of Grand Prix! Please...
I am not trying to prove that drifting is a motorsport (we already know that!) we are trying to prove that it is RACING!

So by showing us the swiming Grand Prix you are backing up the fact that a Grand Prix is a RACING! Event
please lock this thread
Quote from =C.R= Boomshanka :I am not trying to prove that drifting is a motorsport (we already know that!) we are trying to prove that it is RACING!

So by showing us the swiming Grand Prix you are backing up the fact that a Grand Prix is a RACING! Event

"Grand Prix" means "grand/big prize" in French and it alludes to an event being a "high-end competition for the best". It is not directly linked either to motorsports or racing - you can also have a gymnastics grand prix and they get points for style and execution of what is essentially acrobatics.

What everyone is trying to tell you is that "racing" is an event that either all competitors (regardless of them using a motorized vehicle or their own feet) are on a track or circuit and compete head to head or take to it one at a time and compare their times - in the latter case it is a time trial.
you can have a snooker Grand prix ....... wow what close racing, stop making yourself look stupid and go away:sadbanana
Yes, but in that case the OED is wrong - Grand Prix is not JUST a race in F1 or Motorcycling. It is French for Big Prize (or Cheif Prize, or Ultimate Prize), and corresponds, as has been said multiple times above (which you seem to ignore), to ANY competition. It is usually reserved for the 'peak' of a style, rather than the junior categories.
Since this is such a lovely flamewar I might as well join in:

http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/grand%20prix:

Quote :1: the highest level of international equestrian competition; also : a contest at this level
2: one of a series of international formula car races; also : a high-level competition in another sport (as sailing) that is often part of a series

And regarding

Quote from =C.R= Boomshanka :
most words have a different meaning of the origin to the definition its how we evolve our language!!!!!!!!!

You Sir, please stop "evolving" you language.

http://www.askoxford.com/resul ... mp;sortorder=score%2Cname

Quote :different

• adjective 1 not the same as another or each other. 2 distinct; separate. 3 informal novel and unusual.

— DERIVATIVES differently adverb differentness noun.

— USAGE There is little difference in sense between different from, different to, and different than. Different from is generally regarded as the correct use in British English, while different than is largely restricted to North America.

If you happen to be a non-native speaker please forgive me, but it was too tempting!
@=C.R= Boomshanka - Ever heard of the 'Grand Prix Eurovision de la Chanson'?

Grand Prix ≠ Racing
Quote from Woz :It all depends WHAT you call a drift.

You get most grip a couple of degrees into slip. This is when you hear the light scrub sound in LFS and IRL. This is not "drifting" and being able to hold the edge is a skill all drivers need. This is the "racing technique" you talk about. Also slightly into slip can be used to turn the car faster in very tight turns etc.

If what you are trying to say though is that D1GP style drifting is the fastest way around a corner you will get laughed out of here. Once your tyres are that far into slip most of your cars "power" is wasted as heat build up in the tyres.

This is standard physics. So to recap... The more power wasted heating the tyres Less "power" put into moving the car.

Hope that helps.

NO i do not mean D1GP i mean the little power slide slip u speak of...YAY all on same page!!
This thread is closed

Drifting A.I.??
(155 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG