The online racing simulator
Manual clutch / shifter & autoblip
Ok, bear with me here.........

I like to use my shifter and manual clutch, however, I am now struggling to use it with the latest patch.

The reason is, because I simply can't physically "heel & toe", I have tried, and tried, and tried, but I just can't do it.

So basically, I am left in a position that means I am going to be unable to use my manual clutch and shifter in the road cars in the new patch.

I am a little disapointed by this, so I am asking a couple of questions.

Its there anyway I can modify either myself, or my hardware to enable me to "heel & toe".

Or is there any chance that auto-blip on downshift would ever be put back in for manual clutcher's?, or am I missing something

I understand it goes against LFS's "realism against playability" ethos, but it's a bit of a pain having hardware I now can't phyiscally use.
Try putting some spacers behind the brake pedal, to raise it more towards you compared to the throttle. Basically you just need anything that works as a spacer, heck even oversized screw nuts do it, and two (or four, if you want to raise the clutch pedal too) 1 inch or longer flat head M4 screws. It is a fantastic mod that once you have the tools only takes about 10 minutes to install and makes heel-toeing much much easier and more comfortable.

Basically, look here.
Might have to try that.

Still, H & T seems pretty alien to me.........
What exactly is the problem? To physically rotate the foot a bit for blipping, or the whole process?

E: Niels, your pedals look dangerous
Maybe try replacing the pedal face plates so they're a bit more like... Pd <-- so the throttle at the bottom is practically below the top part of the brake?
Its the least I could do to add some fear to the normally quite fearless virtual racing.. Actually I haven't got hurt in the 1.5 years I use them, but yeah nicely rounded pedal plates would look and feel a bit nicer..
Quote from AndroidXP :What exactly is the problem? To physically rotate the foot a bit for blipping, or the whole process?

E: Niels, your pedals look dangerous

The problem is blipping the throttle on down-shift.

I have real trouble trying to get my bloody great plates of meat rotated from the brake pedal to blip the throttle, and I get in a right old mess
well, you would get the same trouble in a real car unless you modify the pedals (I was unable to heel&toe on my last car, because the pedals were placed wrong)... so as I see it you have 2 possibilities>
1. modify the pedals
2. do not heel&toe, just engage the clutch, downshift through all gears to the desired one, and then when you go off the brakes, blip the throttle and disengage the clutch...
havent tried anymods to my g25 pedals, but working on common ideas plus experience i had with solving a problem with pedals in a real life car i'd suggest the following

1 space the brake pedal back to raise it's compared to the throttle so that when your braking you havent got such an angle between the pedals

2 possibly consider modifying your pedal as per thie current episode of sim racing tonight, same effect as the squash ball mod on dfp, a firmer pedal should make it easier to move your foot without altering brake effort.

3 think about extending the surface area of the brake pedal / throttle pedal, at the very least i'd suggest reducing the gap between the pedals, if you've got big feet it may be worth extending the brake pedal upwards , together you should be able to press both pedals without having to swivel your foot too much. i had a rally driving customer with a damaged foot / ankle and he shaped his pedals so the brake was extended up and to the right and the throttle was extended to the left producing an effect similar to Pd but with the loops below each other, this meant he could brake with ball of foot and then blip throttle with heel without having to turn ankle at all
Quote from Chaos :
2. do not heel&toe, just engage the clutch, downshift through all gears to the desired one, and then when you go off the brakes, blip the throttle and disengage the clutch...

Doesn't work in the FZ5, any downshift without a blip causes the rear wheels to lock, plus, doing it that way makes you REALLY slow.

Looks like I'll have to try and modify the pedals, I'll try the Pd suggestion first, then if that doesn't work, I'll try spacing them out.
What he meant was:

Braking zone - clutch in
Braking zone - set desired gear for corner exit
Corner entry - ...
Corner entry - get off brakes
Corner entry - coast to apex
Corner apex - apply throttle while clutching out (needs a bit of practice to get right)

The "big obvious flaw" with this is, that you basically ignore any coast lock setting with this technique, which can make the FZ5 very oversteery too.
And it makes you very slow too.......
Well, if done right and you have no problems with the missing coast lock and missing possibility of dynamic brake balance then it shouldn't be that slow. Pretty big IF though.
Aye, it's a bit wooley for real racing, I'll have to try and teach myself to H & T, or just stick with autoclutch......
Practice, practice, practice. And adjust your pedals, both by spacing the brake pedal up, and towards the accelerator.

Practice in your Pug too, or in the company van (if you had one).

It's a lot harder in computer games though!!! It's PEASY in real life.
I have tried it in the pug, and it is easier, simply because.

a) I am wearing shoes, but I have tried shoes with the G25, and it just all feels a bit unwieldy.

and

b) the pedals are spaced in such a way in the pug that is makes it MUCH easier.

I guess I'll just have to practice.
Hmmm why not invert them? from the photo seems gas and brake are more near now allowing easyer heel and toe. So you dont need to make any changes to your hardware.

http://forum.racesimcentral.co ... d=407276&d=1167470513

Anyway i think i seen that also here on LFS forum but dont remember where!
I find with the DFP, which probably has similar spacing/pedal heights with less length and far less sturdy than a G25 from what I can imagine you can but the ball of your foot across the both pedals (so it's not rotated at all) and then just give a dab with the throttle as you brake. I don't know how hard the brake pedal is on the G25 but on the DFP I find a squash ball mod essential to get sufficent resistance (and by the looks of them yours didn't).
Isn't there any software available for the G25 that will do the auto-blip or auto cut? Maybe buttons could be programmed to overide the throttle settings for this purpose?
Quote from JeffR :Isn't there any software available for the G25 that will do the auto-blip or auto cut? Maybe buttons could be programmed to overide the throttle settings for this purpose?

That might be considered using 3th party software and is forbidden in most online games if it gives the user a advantage
Pussies. Keep on practicing. Just look at me: Still failing on an epic scale after extensive practise and kilometres.

Manual clutch / shifter & autoblip
(47 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG