The online racing simulator
Drifting A.I.??
(155 posts, closed, started )
#76 - Jakg
Quote from =C.R= Boomshanka :lol who u callin an Oxymoron

*facepalm*

Quoting Wiki does NOT make you right.

Drifting is not racing, as if you wanted to go as fast as you could you wouldn't be drifting.
Some of you really need to understand that drifting is subcategory of racing:

Racing:
-Drifting
-Rally
-etc.

Competition exists in all of subcategories of Racing.
Racing isnt realy about goin fast its about winning
Quote from Californian :Some of you really need to understand that drifting is subcategory of racing:

Racing:
-Drifting
-Rally
-etc.

THANK YOU !!!
Quote from Californian :Some of you really need to understand that drifting is subcategory of racing:

Racing:
-Drifting
-Rally
-etc.

Nah, you need to understand that drifting is a subcategory of Motorsport

Motorsport:
-Racing
---Circuit Racing
---Rallying
---Autocross
---Trials
---Drag Racing
-Drifting
-
lol 10 - 10 m8

motorsport racing sims drift drag i dono whts wht anymore i need a bim lol

but wht i ealy need is a new mobo

my pc

AMD Athlon XP Barton 2800+ clocked to 2.09GHz
MSI K7n2 Delta Ilsr Gaming MOBO
1.7GHz DDR 400 RAM
ATI X1950 Pro 512MB
80GB Sata 2ms
160GB Sata 2ms
XP home sp2
MS Sidewinder Mouse 2000lazer
tiny pc Media Keyboard

i want a 939 skt on agp any ideas (i cant afford to spend out for a new build yet)
Quote from tristancliffe :Nah, you need to understand that drifting is a subcategory of Motorsport

Motorsport:
-Racing
---Circuit Racing
---Rallying
---Autocross
---Trials
---Drag Racing
-Drifting
-

I agree that drifting is a subcategory of Motorsport but Drift competitions (duels/show drifting) are Racing (they get points and compete) while it's different from casual drift.
Quote from sam93 :Yes, but racing is racing but it is still classed as a motorsport.

They still shouldn't put a drifting A.I in though, this is a racing sim not a drifting sim, lfs could release just a drifting version in the future but that could kill some members of lfs, people in lfs should stick to racing, drifting is ok now and again for a bit of fun but when it comes down to it racing is the better motorsport.

yes, but you should remember everyone does what they like.
personally i prefer drifting in lfs because it's more exciting, even if i'm not faster.

about that racing is better, again, everyone has different tastes. you prefer racing but i prefer drifting, and so on.

about the drifting a.i., when i drift, i prefer training alone, but it would be nice to have the a.i. drifting, if someone thinks it's a great add for the game.
Quote from AW06 :Its Live For Speed, not Live For Drift, its a racing sim not a drift sim!!

Drifting is a form of racing, so this is a drifting sim. Its just so happens to also be a road racing sim, an oval racing sim, and some consider it a drag racing sim...
Quote from =C.R= Boomshanka :Racing isnt realy about goin fast its about winning

what a stupid comment, racing is about being the fastest. you can "win" any sport, golf isnt about going fast its about winning.

fact is drifting is not timed, or judged on how fast you finnish there in it is not racing its just a style contest.

abit like with horse's
theres horse racing and dressarge *spelling* get it?

Racing:
-Drifting
-Rally
-etc.

Competition and points exists in many things, but that doesn't make them racing:
-Figure Skating
-Ballroom dancing
-Gymnastics
-Synchronized Swimming
-Diving

Those things aren't racing. They are judged sports. They are all sports to be sure, but they aren't racing. Likewise: drifting is a motor sport because it takes plenty of skill and requires a motor, but it isn't a race because time is not the sole determinant of the winner.

Drifting is to racing what figure skating is to speed skating.

There are also drift leagues where time does factor as part of your score. In that case, I'd adjust my analogy to "drifting is to racing what moguls-skiing is to downhill skiing". You don't call figure skating or moguls skiing racing, and you wouldn't call drifting racing.
#87 - JJ72
How can something so simple get so confusing?

Racing = simply being FASTEST over a destinated distance/time period, when the time you take to finish being the single deciding factor in winning/losing.

Drift MERITS combination of speed and style however being FASTEST isn't the SOLE deciding factor, hence it ain't racing.

if it's so hard to understand, just think about the difference between the Red Bull air race and aerobatics.
Quote from Bongle :Competition and points exists in many things, but that doesn't make them racing:
-Figure Skating
-Ballroom dancing
-Gymnastics
-Synchronized Swimming
-Diving

Those things aren't racing. They are judged sports. They are all sports to be sure, but they aren't racing. Likewise: drifting is a motor sport because it takes plenty of skill and requires a motor, but it isn't a race because time is not the sole determinant of the winner.

Drifting is to racing what figure skating is to speed skating.

There are also drift leagues where time does factor as part of your score. In that case, I'd adjust my analogy to "drifting is to racing what moguls-skiing is to downhill skiing". You don't call figure skating or moguls skiing racing, and you wouldn't call drifting racing.

Yeah I see your point.

Just that when I speak of driting I see it very close to racing. Competing with cars on track whether it's fastets time, first to finish or fastest with most points is racing or at least I understand it that way.

Im not saying that by Drifting you can define Racing no, just that you can say Drift competition or Drift Race
Quote from Californian :just that you can say Drift competition or Drift Race

You can indeed, its just that words change their focus of meaning depending on the context in which they are used. Using the word 'race' on these forums makes pedants with axes to grind spit their dummies out.
U sucky drifters go play NFS or something... drift is just an excuse when you want, but dont know how to race... Learn racing and then you dont need drifting AI.
Quote from nihil :You can indeed, its just that words change their focus of meaning depending on the context in which they are used. Using the word 'race' on these forums makes pedants with axes to grind spit their dummies out.

Good one

Quote from Kirill.D :U sucky drifters go play NFS or something... drift is just an excuse when you want, but dont know how to race...

Keep the good flow mate, hope it takes you far
ok the point were trying to make now is that

Drifting can be Racing

Racing is Racing

Drifting is drifting

there diffrent motorsports

were not saying drifting is better then racing were just saying just cuz you dont like to drift dosnt undermine it more than racing
there diffrent classes

saying that drifting isnt racing is wrong becuse the goal is to win by traviling this would meen it is a race it may not be a race to see who gets to the line quickest its race to get the most points while finishing the cource within a set time

the only time you cannot call it racing is if you were doing it on your own or practicing
+1!
And as it's for points, and requires judges, it isn't, per se, a race, but a competition.
Quote from =C.R= Boomshanka :ok the point were trying to make now is that

Drifting can be Racing

Racing is Racing

Drifting is drifting

there diffrent motorsports

were not saying drifting is better then racing were just saying just cuz you dont like to drift dosnt undermine it more than racing
there diffrent classes

saying that drifting isnt racing is wrong becuse the goal is to win by traviling this would meen it is a race it may not be a race to see who gets to the line quickest its race to get the most points while finishing the cource within a set time

the only time you cannot call it racing is if you were doing it on your own or practicing

Drifting CANOT be racing, it`s drifting still. And for the people who belive that rallycross and rally cars "drifts" , SERIOUSLY think twice. Do you think Sebastian Loeb drifts when racing? Sure, the car slides but thats because the surface is slippery, and because he is giving everything. It`s not about the style, but speed, drifintg is about style, not racing so GOD DAMN stop comparing drift and racing please - will make me very happy
And btw, one of the reason Loeb is the fastest atm in rally, is because he drives fast, aswell sliding little.
lol
please dude stop

stating its a compitition will open so many more stupid reasons in how a race is a compitition what are you defining as a race ?

Grip
Sprint
Speed
Drag

thease all have handycaps + -points for contact etc same as any drift "race/compitition/motorsport". so why are you saying drifting is lesser a sport than what you call racing, last time a checked prizes and trophys were given out in all of them. so realy there all motorsports in diffrent classes/catogries, with 1 goal TO WIN.
#97 - Jakg
The Very End - it's all about slip angles, you need to slip the tyres to get the most grip - on most cars the slip angle is very VERY small, ie unnoticable, however on old F1 cars with old tryes (ie the 60's) the slip angles were larger and so 4-wheel drifts were more aparent. On a loose surface a large slip angle helps too.

Drifting is about getting the biggest angle, going closest to the (whatever), holding it the longest and speed. Not about going round a bend faster...

EDIT - *sigh* I'm arguing because someone earlier used the "drifting is racing" line...
Quote from Jakg :The Very End - it's all about slip angles, you need to slip the tyres to get the most grip - on most cars the slip angle is very VERY small, ie unnoticable, however on old F1 cars with old tryes (ie the 60's) the slip angles were larger and so 4-wheel drifts were more aparent. On a loose surface a large slip angle helps too.

Drifting is about getting the biggest angle, going closest to the (whatever), holding it the longest and speed. Not about going round a bend faster...

I know that, but thanks for helping me expressing it. What is I mean that of course is there sliding in motorsport, and in rallycross and rally it helps beeing fast. But I wanted to point out that no one can compare rallycross etc with drifting, it`s like...wine with apple, or cheese with...coke? Doesn`t work, canot be compared.
you clearly dont understand what people are trying to tell you in plain english so i will try in a way you will understand.

WTF D4RfT IZ DA SUX0RRRZ!!!
Quote from Kirill.D :U sucky drifters go play NFS or something... drift is just an excuse when you want, but dont know how to race... Learn racing and then you dont need drifting AI.

i think you should edit your post...i believe there's no reason to insult others.

edit: everyone has is preferred driving style. some are faster with grip driving and others with drift.
This thread is closed

Drifting A.I.??
(155 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG